Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview HomeLan confirms dragons in Dragon Age

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

<a href=http://www.homelanfed.com>HomeLan</a> posted a short <a href=http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=23317>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.bioware.com>Bioware</a>'s latest masterpiece, <a href=http://www.bioware.com/games/dragon_age>Dragon Age</a>, confirming the presense of dragons in the game. How lame. I actually hoped for something metaphorical, anyway...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The biggest innovation in Dragon Age is the switching, in both gameplay and viewpoint, in combat. Normally the game looks like a typical third person RPG, but BioWare wants to also have the tactical battles that were a trademark of the Baldur's gate series. In combat mode, the viewpoint switches to a over the top perspective and we got to see our hero and others take on the invaders. We were quite impressed to see that even in this early point of development, the game was capable of showing lots of characters and activity (including fireballs and lighting) without a signnificant drop in framerate. Indeed, we were told the graphics were on the low end of the visual and if they look this good and run this well now we think the final product will be even better.</blockquote>First of all, it's not the biggest, as it looks like it's the only innovation. Second, it's not really an innovation, as it's been done before. Oh well...
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

MrBrown

Liturgist
Actually, one of the BIO devs mentioned that it'd have dragons the day they 'announced' it.

In any case, if it's going for the toolkit approach of NWN (I think the other preview mentioned it'd have a toolkit), I doubt it'll be a setting completely defined around the campaign plot, as that wouldn't give much room for NWN-style mods... Because of this, I think the name 'Dragon Age' itself is more metaphorical, rather than something about the plotline as such.

Vault Dweller

Developer
From the IGN preview:
When asked about the significance of the title, BioWare told us that, like the Stone Age and Iron Age, they wanted to indicate that the game takes place in a time where dragons are prevalent
Translation: it's loaded with dragons of al kind that you can slaugther by the dozens and there is nothing metaphorical about it.

Rosh

Erudite
You just have to love BioWare's hype machine. Now they have HomeLan regurgitating their "innovative" line, or JCal sprouted another brain tumor.

Normally the game looks like a typical third person RPG, but BioWare wants to also have the tactical battles that were a trademark of the Baldur's gate series.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

MrBrown

Liturgist
The IGN preview gives more of a BG like impression than NWN like... Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for better info.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Dragons? Dragons in a game called Dragon Age? Who'd a thunk it? I say duh and no shit, and of course. :roll:

taks

Liturgist
bioware's hype machine? hehehe... i can think of some others. kinda the way to do business... oh, and if all you anti-fanbois haven't noticed, they're raking in jack left and right on nearly everything they do. must be doing something right...

taks

Jed

Cipher
Normally the game looks like a typical third person RPG, but BioWare wants to also have the tactical battles that were a trademark of the Baldur's gate series.
Yup, that sure was a Baldur's Gate trademark. No game before had isometric party battles, not one.
taks said:
bioware's hype machine? hehehe... i can think of some others. kinda the way to do business... oh, and if all you anti-fanbois haven't noticed, they're raking in jack left and right on nearly everything they do. must be doing something right...
Doing something right? How about pandering to the lowest common denominator. Worked for Hollywood, they're raking in the "jack," and we can all see how intelligent that shit is. Once again the false formula of financial success=quality rears its ugly head.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
As opposed to: Not main stream = must be good. LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP

Spazmo

Erudite
It's not so much "alternative = good" as it is "same old generic fantasy crap = bad". BioWare essentially keeps making the same game: epic fantasy (KotOR is a debatable exception), a game I really don't want to play anymore.

Jed

Cipher
Volourn said:
As opposed to: Not main stream = must be good. LOLOLOLOLOLLIPOP
You're engaging in false dichotomies. Reality is a hell of a lot more heterogeneous.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Really? You musta missed the Jade Empire talk which while fantasy is definitely not 'generic'.

And, just because something is 'generic fantasy crap' doesn't mean its bad. Your own actions disprove that theory. Afterall, you do like TOEE right? Which just happens to be - good or bad - "generic fantasy crap". Thereofre, your entire premise is bogus.

X: Yup. Cool. And?

Spazmo

Erudite
Jade Empire? How many times, Volourn--this site is devoted to PC RPGs. On PC. Jade Empire is simply not being considered here.

ToEE's bland setting was a strike against it. The fun gameplay saved the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Devoted to PC RPGS? That's a lie. Or else the games not considered PC RPG games aka BG, BG2, NWN, and KOTOR would not be discussed at all. Your own news articles and opinions proves otherwise. Not to mention, JE is brought up once and awhile when it suits one's purpsoe to knock BIO down. I do admit, however, no news articles have been posted on it so that much is fair. Still, explain why BIO's other non RPGs are used here? LOL

X: Thanks for proving mine. :cool:

Spazmo

Erudite
Again, Volourn, how many times will this need to be explained? The BioWare games aren't non-RPGs--they're just bad RPGs. Just the same way that you're a bad debater, but you're still out there debating.

You're getting awfully defensive here, Vollie. Are you going to fly into a tizzy every time we post anything about Dragon Age and how bad it's going to be?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No. After all, i have my own complaints about the game. But, then, you guystend to convinetly ignore or forget any negative comments I make about BIo's games (released or not) so i'm not too surprised you would.

Defensive? Please. If disagreeing with people is seen as defensive then well, aren't we all a defensive. I'm just stating my opinions on DA's good and bad points 9from what we've ehard) and my opinions on what others have said about it. in fact, i agree with some of your criticisms. But, hey, ignore that too. :roll:

Briosafreak

Augur
The biggest innovation in Dragon Age is the switching, in both gameplay and viewpoint, in combat. Normally the game looks like a typical third person RPG, but BioWare wants to also have the tactical battles that were a trademark of the Baldur's gate series. In combat mode, the viewpoint switches to a over the top perspective and we got to see our hero and others take on the invaders.

Er, no it isn`t. I was palying the Krondor series in the early 90`s with change of perspective between exploration (1st person) and combat (isometric, tb). People that work on gaming sites should go to some kind of gaming history school.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
No, no they shouldn't. Else their various articles wouldn't be as interesting. :D

Vault Dweller

Developer
Briosafreak said:
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>The biggest innovation in Dragon Age is the switching, in both gameplay and viewpoint, in combat. Normally the game looks like a typical third person RPG, but BioWare wants to also have the tactical battles that were a trademark of the Baldur's gate series. In combat mode, the viewpoint switches to a over the top perspective and we got to see our hero and others take on the invaders.

Er, no it isn`t. I was palying the Krondor series in the early 90`s with change of perspective between exploration (1st person) and combat (isometric, tb). People that work on gaming sites should go to some kind of gaming history school.
That's what I said:

First of all, it's not the biggest, as it looks like it's the only innovation. Second, it's not really an innovation, as it's been done before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom