Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Indepth KOTOR 2 preview at IGN

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://xbox.ign.com>IGN</a> posted a more detailed <b>KotOR II</b> <a href=http://xbox.ign.com/articles/510/510769p1.html>preview</a>. It's interesting to note that they also talk about the amnesia thing:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>You start the game in a medical facility on Peragus Station, a remote asteroid mining operation. <u>You have no recollection of who you are, how you got there, or why you're hurt</u> (sound familiar?). As it turns out, in just five brief years, <u>you're the only known Jedi</u> (note: the only known -- you will come across many more Jedi in the game) left in the universe, and now it's up to you to carry on the ideals and beliefs of the Jedi</blockquote>Wow! The only known Jedi! The last of my kind, just like Superman!
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Since the game is built on the same engine as the original, it's no surprise that most of the gameplay elements will work in a similar fashion. Combat works pretty much exactly like you remember it, <u>a pausable turn-based system</u> that plays out in real-time animations, but there will be a few minor changes. One is the ability to have two weapon quickslots that you can use to switch between if you like to switch up your style on the fly without having to access the inventory screen</blockquote>Pausable turn-based, huh? That's cool.
<br>

Flink

Liturgist
Got to love it...

Will this one also be set twenty bazillion years in the past where everything still looks the same?

suibhne

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Pausable turn-based, huh? That's cool.

Well, sure, but you and I both know that "pausable turn-based" is meaningless and that what they're really talking about is "pausable round-based." In other words, combat will be structured exactly as it was in the first KotOR (with many cosmetic improvements, I'm sure).

Talorc

Liturgist
suibhne said:
In other words, combat will be structured exactly as it was in the first KotOR (with many cosmetic improvements, I'm sure).

Yeah - more combat animations = teh win!! You can like, really flip out, and stuff.

I actually loved the first KOTOR, so I dont know if I should be too sarcastic. Im pretty sure in my deep dark secret "Action" RPG heart of hearts Im gonna love the cool new combat animations when I buy KOTOR II :oops:

Snuffles

Novice
You can have pausable turn based, but it would be pretty stupid.

You would need to have a set time limit for each turn. Then you would be able to pause the timer.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Snuffles said:
You would need to have a set time limit for each turn. .
You don't need it. Without a time limit it would be even more stupid!

Jed

Cipher
Snuffles said:

You would need to have a set time limit for each turn. Then you would be able to pause the timer.
My question was meant to be illustrative, not sincere.

Dgaider

Liturgist
Developer
Wait a second... just curious here, but I thought I'd read that the story wasn't supposed to include amnesia on the part of the player. Has that changed? I guess it must have. I just thought the no-amnesia thing was attributed to Chris Avellone. :?:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It was and oh dear. If this is actually true, I might have to slip my non existent hat off to Spazmo for ripping him a new one for his 'errorful' news arctile from ebfore. Hmm.. And, if that's the case, what happened Mr. Avellone!?!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
All of the previews are probably based off one of LucasArts' press release packages. It is doubtful that the actual product has anything resembling amnesia, considering Avellone's steadfast corrections about the content of the story.

Jarinor

Liturgist
But still, pausable turn-based? I tried to think of a suitable analogy, but gave up after thirty seconds, so I'll just skip to the part after it: Some people are taking their thought processes to new levels of stupidity. Real-time with pause is a concept I have no problem with, but some people just love to spin shit I guess.

Oh yeah, I think I've also thought of a suitable analogy - a manual car with two clutches, one of which doesn't do anything.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
odd. Chris Avellone stated :

The player does not have amnesia, does not start the game with amnesia, does not get amnesia over the course of the game, and he/she is quite clear who, what, and where he is at all times. Nor does he/she have any problems with memory, lurking pseudo-personalities, multiple personality disorders, submerged personalities, or any personality problems except what you induce through gameplay by being a nice guy, a jerk, or both.

So many sites have been reporting the 'amenesia' thing. Either MCA is a liar or these people writing articles are incorrectly reporting 'facts'.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I'm inclined to believe MCA over a bunch of jackasses who just take their so-called previews off poorly produced press kits.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Probably some LucasArts PR monkey who got his facts wrong, the lead designer of said game is a lot more credible source if you ask me. At least I hope that MCA got a better idea about the game than some simian, but you never know.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Maybe MCA is having a bad case of amnesia himself? The plot thickens again!

What's with being the last known Jedi too? I mean Jesus, these Jedi are having real recruiting problems. In the movie, fair enough, the Jedi are all pretty much dead thanks to the Empire... but now in the games? Someone get on MCA's back about the lack of originality in that or is that a specific condition of using the LucasArt Star Wars license?
Thou shalt not play as a Jedi unless thy be thou only knownst Jedi in thine Universe.

Interestingly enough the official LucasArts press release says nothing about amnesia...

Oh lookee... "Developed by Obsidian Entertainment, the development house founded by members of the Fallout, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Dark Alliance, and Planescape: Torment teams"

Founded by members of... which as you'll note, is quite distinct from "the creators of". Where's Volourn?

I think this is where we get our amnesia from...
GameSpot said:
You're something of an enigma at the start of the game--even to yourself--due to a mysterious past. You'll play a Jedi who's something of a lost soul, having gone astray and lost their connection to the Force. By that we mean they're out of touch, not strapping on heavy armor and wearing lost of black. However, despite your lack of focus in the Force, you still have a pivotal role to play in the battle against the Sith and in the fate of the galaxy.
A case of mis-reading by others? Interesting. By the way, this is the article that's linked from the official KOTOR II site.

EDIT: They've changed the text. See what I posted here.

Now in GameSpot's second preview:
GameSpot said:
You wake up in the medical bay, and the last thing you remember is blacking out in a Republic warship. How you wound up there--and why the heck you're in your skivvies--are mysteries you'll need to figure out.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
See, it's not so much to ask. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom