Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Witcher Outcast Canceled

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

I have terrible news. roXidy - a bunch of canadian modders which gained RPG fame for their NWN premium module <i>Wyvern Crown of Cormyr</i> - had a Witcher (Wiedzmin) Add-on in the works but it <a href="http://www.unseen64.net/2010/04/13/the-witcher-outcast-pc-cancelled/">has been canceled by CDProjekt.</a>
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Outcast was going to be released as DLC in most countries and have a disc release in some countries, like Poland and Russia. It was in development from late 2007 until around mid-2008, when it was canceled by CD Projekt.
<br>
<br>
The draft of the story for this add-on can be read below:
<br>
<br>
The story takes place in the early part of Geralt's life, before he is established as a Witcher, during the reign of King Videmont of Aedirn (around 1190). It takes place in the Skellige Isles off the west coast, on an island ruled by jarl Harald. Many years ago, a monster attacked Harald's pregnant wife Morganna. In return, Harald went out to slay the monster, with the help of the gnome Shiltzen. As payment, Shiltzen demanded Harald's firstborn, but when Morganna gave birth, she bore twins. Seeing that the second child was monstrous, Harald gave that child to Shiltzen instead of the firstborn Astrid.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
How much virtual pussy did we miss? We'll never know and that makes me sad.
<br>
<br>
<b>Update</b>: GameBanshee has also managed to acquire the full <a href=http://gamebanshee.com/news/97536-gb-feature-the-witcher-outcast-design-document.html>Outcast design document</a> from their secret source at CD Projekt.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Why care about a fan mod when you have The Witcher: Versus. Being put out by one of the leading asian grindfest mmo piece of shit import companies.

This may very well be the new shit, gentlemen.

MapMan

Arcane
Sovard said:
Why care about a fan mod when you have The Witcher: Versus. Being put out by one of the leading asian grindfest mmo piece of shit import companies.

This may very well be the new shit, gentlemen.

Hahaha, I enter the gallery and click a random image. This is what I get:

015.jpg

"mam10lat...do_50tki"

hoochimama

Liturgist
LittleJoe said:
I don't recall bioware ever cancelling NWN fan modules.

What exactly do you mean by this? Premium modules for nwn for which you had to pay for aren't really the same thing as the thousands of freely available "fan modules" bio has no control over, and bio did cancel a bunch of premium modules.

MapMan said:
Disc release? Did they want to charge for it?

Worked for their nwn1 premium module, and dlc/mini-addons are even more of a rage now.

How is this any different from ossian studios & mysteries of westgate?

Ausir

Arcane
Yup, it wasn't just a fan project, it was an official one, contracted by CD Projekt until they canceled it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"bio did cancel a bunch of premium modules. "

No, they didn't. Atari did. And, it wasn't a 'bunch' either. Doofus.

As for this one, 8shrug*, CDProject likes to cancel a lot of things. No wodner they are barely hanging on despite the success of The Witcher. Very poor management at that company.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Volourn said:
CDProject likes to cancel a lot of things. No wodner they are barely hanging on despite the success of The Witcher. Very poor management at that company.

Yeah no kidding. It's not like TW was that big of a hit but boy did they run themselves into the ground financially and structurally afterwards.

roll-a-die

Magister
Also Wyvern is a product of DLA not roXidy. DLA shared a few team members with roXidy however.

Ausir

Arcane
RoXidy is what DLA called itself after Wyvern, when it tried to become a professional company.

Ausir

Arcane
You can't really expect them to compete with Avellone in that regard... I doubt many design documents are as good as his.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
zool said:
LittleJoe said:
I don't recall bioware ever cancelling NWN fan modules.

The volourn is strong in this one.
Fan modules? They cancelled at least 2 premium modules (then resurrected one) but I'm not aware of any regular modules being cancelled. Source/link?

Ausir

Arcane
The Witcher: Outcast was also not a fan project, but a premium module like their earlier NWN work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom