Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Dragon Age Editorials

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age

The tireless and constant work of the <a href="http://greywardens.com/">Greywardens</a> produced 2 more editorials.
<br>
<br>
The first one explores the <a href="http://greywardens.com/2010/04/dragon-age-technology-and-the-passage-of-time/">technological stasis</a> of the Dragon Age Universe.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Medieval technology and buildings did not, in fact, remain stagnant; the appearance of castles changed within a century’s period, much less three. The idea that technology did not progress was incredibly persistent, however – persistent enough to become ensconced within modern fantasy, and thereby make an appearance in Dragon Age: Origins. Technology in the so-called Dark Ages changed, became more prevalent, fell out of favor and evolved. Styles of clothing and armor may not have qualitatively improved in any dramatic fashion from the Roman centuries, but they certainly looked different – and they improved in variety and quantity, as the techniques necessary to make them became perfected.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
Oh my god! Feature X in Game Y wasn't *realistic* !
<br>
<br>
The second one is <a href="http://greywardens.com/2010/04/circle-mage-warden-mage/">a tale of woe</a>, concerning the sad fate of the Mages in DA.
<br>
<br>
<p style="margin-left:50px;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;border-top-color:#ffffff;padding:5px;border-right-color:#bbbbbb;border-left-color:#ffffff;border-bottom-color:#bbbbbb;">Despite the allure of living as a mage outside the system, it nevertheless seems that becoming an apostate is a difficult choice to make. Though Morrigan speaks fondly of her times with Flemeth teasing the templars and leading them to their doom, her survivor’s stories of life as an apostate are also colored by loneliness and isolation. And though Anders obviously chafes under the Chantry’s yoke so much that he made seven escape attempts from the Circle, his desire for human companionship is a clear stumbling block against living the life of the typical hermit apostate.
<br>
<br>
Mages who don’t wish become Tranquil or live a life on the run must accept their place within the Circle. But living under the Chantry’s rule is likely for most mages a double-edged sword. Regardless of your views on Andraste, the Maker, or the Chant, life under constant scrutiny, and being the black sheep of the Chantry’s philosophy would wear heavily upon even the most loyal of mages.
<br>
</p>
<br>
<br>
DA Mages are pussies, that's their problem. They summon a demon - zing! they're possessed. A clear indicator for lacking willpower. Killing all templars would be the obvious way to go imo, but they can't handle that it seems.
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#14846">RPGWatch</A>

Heartwarden

Educated
I wonder if these people'll be hired by Bioware, either for PR or to actually write the next game. They're certainly trying hard enough to put some life into a hollow shell! I could only skim over each article because they're far too silly and these people are looking far into something that wasn't structured to be that deep. They're doing more work than Gaider did by his lonesome!

If I were feeling mean, I'd call these people pretentious. They have the ability to write, perhaps they should find something that isn't so easy to write and make nonsense up about.

To be fair, Dragon Age had some interesting concepts; I liked the idea of The Fade even if it's implementation was the most disappointing thing I can think of about the game (It's a big, splotchy brown world. Really, Bioware? A dreamworld is the most unimaginative part of the gameworld?) and the same tale can be had for that forest that's name fleets my memory right now (supposedly a forest of spirits, but we get nothing like Rasheman and instead.. a greyish, dreary forest. Great.). Mages, really, had a good template set up for them and it could have been an actual reason for them to keep a check over their powers; to not get taken over by mind-stealing demons!

Instead, we have.. Blah. And they're not even that powerful! Abominations aren't powerful!

I can't help but wonder though.. Is there another fictional world out there where magic users stand ground to losing their selves to beings-that-lurk-within-the-source?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Perhaps the problem is that the PC, in typical hero fashion, takes a few months (maybe, in-game) to reach the level of power other wizards don't achieve in a lifetime. It's become the standard of experience based games in which you'll reach unimaginable levels of power just by killing stuff out there that anyone (or, at least, some people) can also kill, but won't.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Heartwarden said:
I can't help but wonder though.. Is there another fictional world out there where magic users stand ground to losing their selves to beings-that-lurk-within-the-source?

The entire thing with the abominations/fade was ripped almost entirely from Warhammer, so yeah

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Medieval"

STFU STFU STFU

I really hate this bullshit 'argument'.

DA is NOT medieval. It's fuckin' fantasy. HUGE difference. It doesn't have to be like the real world. FFS

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Volourn said:
"Medieval"

STFU STFU STFU

DA is NOT medieval. It's fuckin' fantasy. HUGE difference. It doesn't have to be like the real world. FFS

Good job missing the point Volourn. Here:

However, even though thousands of years have passed, lives are lived, culture continues and warfare is waged in much the same way that it was during the time of the stalwart heroes.

The armor is truly a treasure of great archaeological significance – at least, it would be. Why would anything made hundreds of years ago be useful, much less usable, now? Surely we’ve got better stuff than they. The suspension of disbelief strains when you realize that the armor is not only functional and one of the best armor sets in the game, but is similar in style to modern Ferelden and Orlesian armor. The medium, heavy and massive armors of the Ferelden army – seen in ghostly flashbacks around the Keep – hasn’t changed in 200 years, and neither has the patterns of speech or the accent of the natives.

Frankly, very little fantasy tackles this point. Steven Erikson tries with his Malazan books (T'Lan Imass from 100's of thousands years ago wielding Flint weapons), but has to use magic to fill in the gaps.

Heartwarden

Educated
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Heartwarden said:

The entire thing with the abominations/fade was ripped almost entirely from Warhammer, so yeah
Thus begins the tour of the rock that I crawl from under. Can't believe I never knew this!

aleph

Arcane
Haba said:
Frankly, very little fantasy tackles this point. Steven Erikson tries with his Malazan books (T'Lan Imass from 100's of thousands years ago wielding Flint weapons), but has to use magic to fill in the gaps.

By the way, I am just finished reading Erikson's Malazan books. Can you recommend some other fantasy series where things make some "historical" and "archeological" sense (e.g. no unexplained technological stasis or overly simplified societies)?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Volourn said:
"Medieval"

STFU STFU STFU

Yeah! FFS! This is fantasy shithead, not medieval shit! Stick up your history bullshit and your logic up your ass! It doesn't make sense? Suck it up, sucka! It doesn't have to make sense, because we say so! We are the law! Don't like it, don't play it! Think you can engage in rational discourse? Fuck you! We're not interested in that bullshit! We want to play our games, and we want to play them now! We are the last men! We have no purpose, and we are proud of it! Get out of our way!

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
aleph said:
By the way, I am just finished reading Erikson's Malazan books. Can you recommend some other fantasy series where things make some "historical" and "archeological" sense (e.g. no unexplained technological stasis or overly simplified societies)?

Not that many, really. In Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever -books the world changes, but doesn't really develop.

Even the best of fantasy writers tend to simplify the history and the development of the world to a degree.

aleph

Arcane
Haba said:
aleph said:

Not that many, really. In Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever -books the world changes, but doesn't really develop.

Even the best of fantasy writers tend to simplify the history and the development of the world to a degree.

That's a shame, after reading the Malazan books, "normal" fantasy is just boring. Maybe I should switch to another genre.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"However, even though thousands of years have passed, lives are lived, culture continues and warfare is waged in much the same way that it was during the time of the stalwart heroes."

*yawn*

Heartwarden said:
I wonder if these people'll be hired by Bioware, either for PR or to actually write the next game. They're certainly trying hard enough to put some life into a hollow shell! I could only skim over each article because they're far too silly and these people are looking far into something that wasn't structured to be that deep. They're doing more work than Gaider did by his lonesome!

If I were feeling mean, I'd call these people pretentious. They have the ability to write, perhaps they should find something that isn't so easy to write and make nonsense up about.

To be fair, Dragon Age had some interesting concepts; I liked the idea of The Fade even if it's implementation was the most disappointing thing I can think of about the game (It's a big, splotchy brown world. Really, Bioware? A dreamworld is the most unimaginative part of the gameworld?) and the same tale can be had for that forest that's name fleets my memory right now (supposedly a forest of spirits, but we get nothing like Rasheman and instead.. a greyish, dreary forest. Great.). Mages, really, had a good template set up for them and it could have been an actual reason for them to keep a check over their powers; to not get taken over by mind-stealing demons!

Instead, we have.. Blah. And they're not even that powerful! Abominations aren't powerful!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the lack of difficulty when facing abominations. It would have added tremendously to the atmosphere regarding mages and the chantry if abominations were treated as real dangers to the party (and hence present a believable threat to the region). Abomination fights should be rare and difficult, with the very occasional optional fight against an ultra-talented or archmage who has become an abomination to a demon of massive power. Even just a couple of encounters where running or avoiding was highly tempting would have made the lore feel more relevant.

Haba said:
aleph said:

Ok, I've got very little to contribute to the topic, but I just wanted to say one thing:

Thomas Covenant series - FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved that series when I was younger.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
aleph said:
Haba said:
aleph said:

That's a shame, after reading the Malazan books, "normal" fantasy is just boring. Maybe I should switch to another genre.

Is the last Malazan book out yet? If so, does it really pay off all the build up/answer the fucking truckload of unanswered questions that've stacked up over the last nine? I'm partway through Dust of Dicks, but I wanted to wait until the last book was out.

aleph

Arcane
Unfortunately,the last book is not out yet. Given Eriksons track record, though I have no doubt it will be out this year. (he is no George Martin, thank god)

Phelot

Arcane
There really isn't any rhyme or reason to anything in DA. The clothes look like the standard too-many-seams fantasy garb that was warn in NWN along with the massive over complicated armor. It just looks "cool" and that's the only purpose it serves.

They're trying too hard to get a deep and rich story out of the game.

As for using ancient and old items. I thought that DnD used the whole enchanted items don't rust, don't age, and are extremely powerful. Wasn't it suppose to be that the ancients were better at enchanting then they are now or something?

At least, that would make sense to me, but then enchanted uber swords are waaay too common in fantasy settings these days. It's like they're mass produced and distributed by Walmart.

aleph

Arcane
phelot said:
At least, that would make sense to me, but then enchanted uber swords are waaay too common in fantasy settings these days. It's like they're mass produced and distributed by Walmart.

He, if you are a wizard, enchanting tons of +1 swords is an easy way to earn a living.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom