Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Torchlight Unlock Code

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Torchlight; Travis Baldree

<p>Former <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7337" target="_blank">Fate</a> developers Runic Games, who've sold 500,000 copies of action RPG <a href="http://www.runicgames.com/" target="_blank"><strong>Torchlight</strong></a> over the past several months <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/63842" target="_blank">according to Shack News</a>, recently picked up $8.4 million moneyhats from their new Chinese overlords, <a href="http://www.marketwatch.com/story/perfect-world-announces-first-quarter-2010-unaudited-financial-results-2010-05-17?siteid=nbsh" target="_blank">Perfect World</a>.</p>
<blockquote>As a part of our growth strategy, we continuously monitor the market for acquisition opportunities that will generate synergies with our core business. I am excited to announce some recent developments on this front. We recently made a strategic investment to acquire a majority stake in Runic Games, Inc. ("Runic Games"), a top-tier game development studio based in the U.S., to further strengthen our R&amp;D capabilities. By collaborating more closely with Runic's professional team, we seek to combine their creativity and expertise in game development with our deep understanding of the online game market to create global titles.</blockquote>
<p>Expect to see a Torchlight MMO and solid gold stripper poles in every cubicle at the Runic offices in the near future. Also expect to see Travis Baldree leave to start yet another studio for his next action RPG that plays and looks a lot like Fate.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/">Shack News</a></p>

Shannow

Waster of Time
A deep understanding of the market:
9475.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It's a Dude.... On a Tiger... Which is on the back of an Eagle...

DarkUnderlord said:
It's a Dude.... On a Tiger... Which is on the back of an Eagle...

Yeah...have to say here that as the owner of two cats....that tiger would sure as hell be taking a bite out of that bird right now. And it's owner if she tried to stop him/her. Yeah, it would mean a fall to a terrible plummety death by taking out the bird's neck while in the air, but cats really aren't that big on patience.

Paperclip

Liturgist
I actually played this MMO (Perfect World) for approx. 1 year or so on one of the official Malaysian servers. It has a good and balanced game mechanics. The chars aren't restricted to certain builds and it was really interesting, though costly, to try offbeat path (i.e. making a heavy armor mage).

BTW:
9475.jpg

It's a werebeast in the tiger form "hugging" (and action) a female elf priest while riding a "ride".

Shannow

Waster of Time
Clockwork Knight said:
I thought the girl was just riding both mounts at the same time...uh.
Thought the player was riding a mount while using a fast world-travel-transport-mechanic.

BTW, I tried the game for 2 hours and it was the same generic (f2p) mmo crap as usual.

Bladderfish

Augur
Maybe I don't understand the world of business, but it always amazes me how eager companies are to sell a major stakeholding in themselves.

"Woah, we've had one hit, let's sell our souls to the devil now and make some cash before we crash and burn!"

I mean, surely they can't be that eager to lose their creative freedom?

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
This news is actually quite surprising as after they won GDC Choice for Best Debut they remarked at how much they enjoyed owning their own studio. Now they sell themselves to garbage Chinese MMO mill.

Should have just made Torchlight 2, and used all assets and experience from the two prior games to make their "MMO". Right now they don't have quite enough lore and what not, and that's what they'll be working on a ton. Could have fleshed it out in the sequel and went from there BUT WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW RIGHT.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Oh, for fucks sake, this is just ridiculous!!! Three fucking entities one mounted above the other?

Three!!!! Three!!! If there is a God, this should be the apotheosis of the apostasy.

FFS! FFS! FFS!

roll-a-die

Magister
Fat Dragon said:
Torchlight was a fun indie game, I didn't expect them to sell out this damn quickly. Their funeral.
This is old news to me. Torchlight has been planed to be the prequel or lead up to an MMO since right after flagship sunk. Perfect world was always going to be their Publisher, and indeed provided allot of the start-up money.

Black Cat

Magister
"if you look hard enough, you'll notice she has cat ears"

Downloading, like, nao.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom