Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mass Effect: the Motion Picture

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect

<p><a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28680/Legendary_Pictures_Acquires_Mass_Effect_Film_Rights.php" target="_blank">Mass Effect is "ripe for translation to the big screen."</a></p>
<blockquote>BioWare parent company Electronic Arts said Monday that Legendary Pictures acquired the theatrical feature film rights to the Mass Effect science-fiction series. Warner Bros. will distribute the movie worldwide under a co-production and co-financing agreement with Legendary.<br /><br />Legendary also co-produced The Dark Knight, 300, Clash of the Titans, The Hangover and Watchmen.<br /><br />EA said that the movie's producers are in talks with I Am Legend and Thor screenwriter Mark Protosevich to draft a screenplay for the movie.<br /><br />Producing the Mass Effect film are Legendary's Thomas Tull -- the founder of the now-defunct video game company Brash Entertainment -- and Jon Jashni, along with Avi and Ari Arad. Serving as executive producers on the film are BioWare heads Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk and Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson.</blockquote>
<p><br />My casting prediction for Commander Shepard: <a href="http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b164853_rip_torn_arrested_armed_bank_break-in.html" target="_blank">Rip Torn</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I hope that it will be X-TREME enough that it will not only feature Collar Grab™ but also Cunt Punch™.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I like the truly full circle manner of some game-movie adaptations.

Movie inspires game.

Game gets movie adaptation.

Movie adaptation gets game adaptation.

But it needn't even be so straightforward. For example, the Wachowski brothers admitted that they lifted the idea of Neo's overcoat from Deus Ex. Then we see Matrix game adaptations with overcoats, and also other games with overcoats. And arguably, an overcoat like JC may himself have been inspired by Bladerunner.

Much in the same way, you have an interactive movie like Mass Effect being inspired by live action movies, and now the interactive movie inspires a live action movie, and so on.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Deus Ex came out Summer 2000. The Matrix had it's theatrical run in Spring of 1999. The resemblence Denton bears to Neo is purely coincidental. Spector mentioned in an interview that the team would frequently take the friday afternoon off that a big new movie was being released to see it together. When they saw The Matrix, they all turned towards each other saying, "There's Denton!".

Arcanoix

Scholar
root said:
what about the racism and the xeno sex-scene? how will they handle that?

:asking inane questions because of inability to recuperate from shock:

Well, considering ME1 had all mixed/black people, I'm sure they'll throw the, "But White people were considered a minority by 2055, so by the time ME1 rolls around they're all extinct." xD

Wyrmlord

Arcane
root said:
What about neo being an analogy to jesus christ? thaz a lotta coincidenzes, SMA.
Jesus Christ Denton died...became a singularity for our sins.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
1.jpg

Fritz Haber

Educated
My first thought was 'Why in fuck are those idiots executive producers?
To stroll around the set, feeling all important while harassing the assist-girl?'.

But then I realized that it will be one of those movies without any real set, just bluescreens.
Isn't it wonderful that the declining movie-industry can now see eye to eye with game-industry,
as both are now in the same business of making shitty cgi?

Hey Horatio! Did ya hear that they're making a Mass Effect motion picture?

Well... it looks like science fiction just got more... extreme.

YEEEEAAAAAAA-

circ

Arcane
Wow, you needed to actually licence characters and plot and setting etc written by 3 year olds? You got ripped off Legendary Pictures. All they needed to do was rip-off half a dozen sci fi novels, badly.

Silellak

Cipher
This is a terrible idea, if only because the more a franchise lends itself to a feature film, the more they manage to fuck it up.

wingcommander.jpg

This movie practically wrote itself and they still somehow fucked it up.

Freddie Prinze, Jr. for Commander Shepard!

Malachi

Liturgist
Apparently there's also going to be a movie version of "Bioshock." My first thought was that it would be a much better movie than it was as a game, since the story and visuals were pretty good, with the (very) weak point being the bad gameplay.

Please forgive the tangent. On the original topic, I want to see the *extreme renegade* collar-grabbing bad-ass Shepard from the Codex LP for the movie version. No other Shepard will do.

Edit: I wonder if Samuel L. Jackson could play our *extreme* Shepard, or whether he is getting too old for those kinds of roles. Discuss!

Silellak

Cipher
Melcar said:
They would probably get some pretty face Hollywood metrosexual.
That would be absurd - casting a pretty-boy metrosexual as a well known video game sci-fi "badass".

wingcommander.jpg

Oh right.

Rhalle

Magister
Malachi said:
Apparently there's also going to be a movie version of "Bioshock." My first thought was that it would be a much better movie than it was as a game, since the story and visuals were pretty good, with the (very) weak point being the bad gameplay.

Please forgive the tangent. On the original topic, I want to see the *extreme renegade* collar-grabbing bad-ass Shepard from the Codex LP for the movie version. No other Shepard will do.

Edit: I wonder if Samuel L. Jackson could play our *extreme* Shepard, or whether he is getting too old for those kinds of roles. Discuss!

I agree with that; Bioshock could be a really good fantasy dystopian nightmare film. It won't be, of course. It will be a videogame advertisement on the screen, replete with first person shooting camera work, probably.

Mass Effect is too corny and derivative (of other movies, even) to be a good movie in its own right. Not that EA cares, of course. It's just another aftermarket product for the revenue stream, like DLC, T-Shirts or action figures.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom