Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Mass Effect 2 Is To Blame

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Alpha Protocol; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>... for the comparetively and undeservedly poor receiption of Alpha Protocol, <a href="http://www.bitmob.com/articles/rpgs-has-mass-effect-2-ruined-them-all">says BitMob</a>.</p>
<p>Why? <em>Because of the way Mass Effect 2 streamlined the RPG experience so masterfully</em>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>And this is what we need to figure out: Who wants to play a clunky, buggy, somewhat archaic RPG like Alpha Protocol? Will people see it at Walmart and buy it just because it's an RPG about espionage? Or will it review poorly, sell poorly, and force a talented developer like Obsidian to succumb to the wants of the masses and create more action oriented experiences in the future?</p>
<p>I guess that's partially up to us, the game buying public. We vote with our dollars, and I for one am looking forward to games like Alpha Protocol and&nbsp;Fallout New Vegas, and to more Dragon Age: Origins DLC.&nbsp; I'm happy to consider clunky, old-school RPGs that developers and publishers are willing to release. And I'm buying Alpha Protocol on day one and look forward to experiencing it because I know it will be more than <strong>just </strong>an action RPG.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Obsidian and succumbing to the wants of the masses? You must be kidding.<br /><br />They will continue to make games that are everything roleplaying is all about. Next in line: Fallout New Vegas, the best RPG since <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Arcanum</span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Dragon Age</span> Alpha Protocol.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15034">RPGWatch</a></p>

Felix

Arcane
Mass Effect 2 is shit, is the "levitation spell" fixed yet ?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Obsidian has been making (or trying to make) games for the 'masses' since the inception. Afterall, you don't make NWN2 and KOTOR2 - both sequels to massive hits - if you aren't trying to make lots of moolah.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's true though...

Consoletards can't recognize what an FPSRPG is anymore, thinking ME2 is one and all. MAH BULLEHTS DON'T HIT WHER A AIM! BULLSHITE

Remember, Bioware saved the RPG genre with ME2.

Pseudofool

Scholar
The production values (while not bad in AP) aren't up to ME2, and I think that, along with rpg-curved shooting is what throws people off. I think the masses don't realize that the process of firing the gun actually gets easier as you invest points in that gun, rather than just simply doing more damage.

hiver

Whatever bugs and unpolished features are in AP the guilt rests solely on that idiot who decided to scrap first iteration of the game and start over from the beginning.

Also, do we really need this sort of articles here?

Jim Profit

Educated
Jaedar said:
MAH BULLEHTS DON'T HIT WHER A AIM! BULLSHITE
Sounds like TF2fags when I said the worthless HP system should be replaced with an accuracy system of the guns themselves and HP be a secondary stat...

I'm debating whether or not to get alpha protocol. It depends on how much of an rpg it actually is. Will it be like me playing a tabletop rpg but on a controller? Or will it basically be Goldeneye with prettier graphics and an occassional dialogue box?

Actually if it was like Goldeneye, that'd be fucking sweet. Goldeneye was one of the best FPS ever created. Unfourtanately I don't have a 360 for FPS. I'm not some casual call of duty turd...

hoochimama

Liturgist
Have you replayed goldeneye recently? It hasn't aged gracefully.

With a stealth char AP feels more like splinter cell lite with occasional dialogs. Your analogy may hold for a combat oriented character.

Anyway, the bottom line is if alpha protocol sucks it's bioware's fault, if it doesn't suck but gets poor reviews it's bioware's fault, if it doesn't suck but gamers hate it it's bioware's fault.

Ah bioware, where were you when lucasarts needed you?

So, I take it Mass Effect 2 is the current paragon of the CRPG genre? I just don't get it these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom