Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Psychosexual Origins of Avadon

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Spiderweb Software

<p>Jeff Vogel's first developer diary for <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon: The Black Fortress</strong></a> reveals that the newest Spiderweb IP <a href="http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/06/avadon-developer-diary-1-where-ideas.html" target="_blank">began with an opera</a>.</p>
<blockquote>So then they get to the last door. Bluebeard refuses to open it. His wife begs for him to. He refuses. This goes on for a while. Finally, Bluebeard gives in and opens the door. Bluebeard's other wives (!) walk out silently. They take his new wife and pull her through the door, which closes behind them. Bluebeard sings about how sad he is. Opera ends. Very psychosexual.<br /><br />So I'm sitting there watching this, and what I'm thinking is this: Who is this Bluebeard guy? He's very powerful. Very rich. Has a castle full of magic doors. He mentions how he has great influence with the court. What's his deal? Where did all that wealth come from? What does he use those portals for? What is his day job?<br /><br />And here was my idea. He's a warrior. Or an assassin. Or a spy. He can go wherever the king wants, and do whatever needs doing. Something needs to be found out? Some rebel needs to die? That's what Bluebeard does, and he is well paid for it.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

bhlaab

Erudite
Jason said:
So then they get to the last door. Bluebeard refuses to open it. His wife begs for him to. He refuses. This goes on for a while. Finally, Bluebeard gives in and opens the door. Bluebeard's other wives (!) walk out silently. They take his new wife and pull her through the door, which closes behind them. Bluebeard sings about how sad he is. Opera ends. Very psychosexual.

So I'm sitting there watching this, and what I'm thinking is this: Who is this Bluebeard guy? He's very powerful. Very rich. Has a castle full of magic doors. He mentions how he has great influence with the court. What's his deal? Where did all that wealth come from? What does he use those portals for? What is his day job?

Wow, this sounds like the making of a very interesting idea for an rpg!

And here was my idea. He's a warrior. Or an assassin.

nevermind

Castanova

Prophet
Didn't he say in another interview that he makes his games for the primary purpose of telling a story? It's ironic then that the gameplay is good (relative to AAA RPGs) while the story is so bad (even relative to AAA RPGs).

Jason

chasing a bee
Next up: Jeff Vogel post on his Twitter feed that he took a dump; Jason makes a news post at RPGCodex.
I prefer to save the "what is Vogel excreting now" updates for the end of the month. Keeps the frontpage less cluttered.

bhlaab

Erudite
Jason said:
Next up: Jeff Vogel post on his Twitter feed that he took a dump; Jason makes a news post at RPGCodex.
I prefer to save the "what is Vogel excreting now" updates for the end of the month. Keeps the frontpage less cluttered.

One post every time he releases a game isn't THAT much

GlutenBurger

Cipher
He did the right thing.

The RPG Design FAQ said:
Q: A soaring work of imagination has roosted in my mind. What should I do?

A: Clip its wings and dye its feathers in the most generic colour you can find.

Andhaira

Arcane
The new skill tree n his game seems p. cool. Hope it isn't just for spells but for battle skills as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom