Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3D NOT a remake

Ausir

Arcane
Tags: Jagged Alliance 3D; MISTLand

Thanks to a guy called <b>Snap</b> from the <a target=_blank href=http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=47>Strategy First forum</a>, who has a good knowledge of both Russian and English, it turned out that <b>Jagged Alliance 3D</b> is not a remake of Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business at all. UB was mentioned only as a size scale - JA3D to JA3 will be like UB to JA2.
<br>
<br>
Well, this definitely sounds better.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.strategyfirst.com/forum/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000049">Jagged Alliance 3 forum</A>

Stark

Liturgist
duh. Someone who knows Russian kindly go over and confirm once and for all?

are they so confident that JA3 will sell well that they immediately work on JA3D as sort of add on?

Ausir

Arcane
JA3D will be developed before, not after JA3. It will work as more of a prequel than an addon.

Stark

Liturgist
Ausir said:
JA3D will be developed before, not after JA3. It will work as more of a prequel than an addon.

still does not make sense. why simultaneously develop 2 similar games (as far as i gather) and publish them at roughly the same time? it's like competing with yourself.

Ausir

Arcane
They're not developing them simultaneously. JA3D first, then JA3, based on the same engine.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Fuck. That's a big portion of text. Which guy should we trust? It seems that this "napalm" guy says that JA 3D WILL be a remake of Unfinished Business and will be a prequel to JA 3.

But I take no responsibility for that because I now have no time to check the vocabulary.Maybe later...

BTW. Check the last comment. It's by Thrash. I remember someone like that here (or maybe it was Trash) who knew Russian.

SilencerBY

Novice
The first message from napalm was exactly as I said:
JA3D will be a 3D remake of UB, and a prequel for JA3. They will make and release JA3D, then JA3.

In the second message, he said that it was a mistake and he shouldn't use word 'remake'. And in fact, UB was mentioned only as a size scale - JA3D to JA3 would be like UB to JA2.

ps. Confirmed once and for all ;)
pps. In case you have any doubts, Russian is my native language...
ppps. …while English is not as you might have noticed ;)

Ausir

Arcane
Your English is definitely better than that of the JA3 developers :).

butsomuch

Novice
http://www.gamefactoryinteractive.com/news.html

Game Factory Interactive and its development studio MiST Land - South team up with Strategy First to continue the Jagged Alliance and Disciples series.

Game Factory Interactive and Strategy First are pleased to announce that they have entered into a contract that will see MiST Land South (Game Factory's development studio) develop the following titles on behalf of SFI: Jagged Alliance 2 in 3D, Disciples III and Jagged Alliance 3, all for the PC platform.

MiST Land South, located in Russia has already begun work on the projects, but no specific release dates have been set.

"MiST Land South have already proven themselves to us with COPS 2170: The Power of Law and ALFA: Antiterror, two of their titles that we will publish here in North America," says Don McFatridge, President and CEO of Strategy First Inc. "We are confident that together we will bring the Disciples and Jagged Alliance franchises to a whole new audience."

Strategy First will be the worldwide publisher of all three games, while Game Factory Interactive will publish them in Russia and Eastern European markets. "Together with Game Factory Interactive, we have already had good cooperation with Strategy First as they are bringing two of our titles to the North American market. We're happy to have an opportunity to work with these celebrated and successful franchises," says Vitaly Shukov, Head of MiST Land South. "We will work hand-in-hand with Strategy First to create high quality, modern, and fascinating games that keep the legendary soul and atmosphere of these popular franchises."

More information and details about these projects will be released in the coming weeks.

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Well, it's easy to see how everyone got confused. Hope everyone has Cyrillic fonts.

The following is all from the MiST Land's forums, where Napalm (the guy with Tinkles the cat as his avatar) is one of the developers on ML's Warfare.

napalm in message [06/6/2004 13:51:08] said:
"JA 3D ????? ???????????? ?????????? ???????? unfinished business, ????? ????, ??????????? ? ??? 3. ??? ???? ????? ??????????????? ???????????????. ?????????? ??????????? ??? ????? ??????? - ????????????...
??????? ??????? ????? ??????, ???????? ? ????????????? [sic] ?????????????, ?? ??? ??? ??? SFi ??????."

My crappy translation said:
JA 3d will be an original, 3d remake of Unfinished Business, a try of the feather [the closes English analogue would be a "dip in the pond"], the pre-history for JA 3. These games will the developed sequentially. To start two such projects in parallel would be suicide. The role-playing system will be the old one, possibly with cosmetic modifications, but here it's up to SFi.

But later,

napalm in message [06/8/2004 21:46:49] said:
"JA 3d ?? ????? ?????? ???????? unfinished business. ????? ?????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ???. ? ?????? ?????? ???? ???? ??? ?? ??????? ????????. ??? ??? ??? 3? ????? ????????????? ? ??? 3 ??? ?? ??? unfinished business ? ???????????? ??? 2, ?? ???? ??? 3? ????? ??????. ??? ??? ??? ??????? ?????."

My crappy translation said:
JA 3d will not be a DIRECT remake of Unfinished Business. The word "remake" was really used unnecessarily. In the given post I was talking about the scope of the projects. JA 3d will be to JA 3 what Unfinished Business was to the original JA 2, that is, JA 3d will be smaller. That is all that was meant.

Ok. Fuck this. Can you please enable Unicode in the boards?

Spazmo

Erudite
I've got a better idea. Let's wait for the MiST guys to actually figure out what the fuck they're making with JA3D and let them take a little while in a quiet room with a pencil and a pad of paper so they can write it out clearly. Until then, don't bother with the JA team's latest endorsement for Hooked on Phonics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom