Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Another RPG Bonanza at GOG

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Arx Fatalis

<p>Good Old Games, the favorite online store of Arcanum modders everywhere, is having another <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/promo/rpg?as=1649904300" target="_blank">RPG sale</a>:</p>
<blockquote>This weekend every mighty magician, brave and strong warrior, accurate ranger and skillful thief will find something for themselves in the RPG promo. Until Monday, June 14 at 11:59 p.m. EDT, we're giving you a 30% discount on 5 classic RPGs: <strong>Arx Fatalis</strong>, <strong>Divine Divinity</strong>, <strong>Warlords: Battlecry 3</strong>, <strong>Realms of Arkania 1+2</strong> and <strong>Realms of Arkania 3</strong>. It's not a bundle promotion, so you will receive the discount if you buy one, three, or all five games.</blockquote>
<p>You're looking at $23.75 for the lot, $4.19 each for the RPGs, and $6.99 for the token RTS. Strategy fans can also pick up <a href="http://af.gog.com/en/gamecard/panzer_general_3d_assault?as=1649904300" target="_blank">Panzer General 3D: Assault</a>, the ugliest of the PG series, for $9.99.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I would buy Arx Fatalis but meh, too many other games I haven't played yet.

Murk

Arcane
Arx Fatalis is pretty short, easily worth the 5 bucks or whatever.

Also, haha Drog, haha.

Divinity, Arx Fatalis, and if you're into the old timey style the RoA Games are easily worth it. Can't speak for Warlords 3 tho.

Piety

Shitpostin'
Codex 2012 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera
The only one I don't have is Warlords... Anyone played it? Any good?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Mikayel said:
Can't speak for Warlords 3 tho.
Battlecry 3, please. Warlords 3 was awesome. Battlecry 3 is actually the only one (of both series) that I haven't played.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Lavoisier said:
I don't get it.
you must have missed drog's thread about how the evil empire of gog charges people money for scene cracks, and the epic bitchingdiscussions it spawned.

Quilty

Magister
I've had my eye on Realms of Arkania for a while now. What are the codex's thoughts on it?

Antagonist

Liturgist
They vary in quality but even the worst one (Shadows over Riva) shits from a great height on most RPGs/games released in the last decade and a half. Be warned though that it will get some time to get into the game especially if you are not familiar with the DSA rules. The games were made long before the term "in-game tutorial" has been invented so before really starting the game you'll have to do some reading about the mechanics.

Too bad GOG could not acquire the rights for the full CD soundtrack in ROA 2. :(

Quilty

Magister
Antagonist said:
They vary in quality but even the worst one (Shadows over Riva) shits from a great height on most RPGs/games released in the last decade and a half. Be warned though that it will get some time to get into the game especially if you are not familiar with the DSA rules. The games were made long before the term "in-game tutorial" has been invented so before really starting the game you'll have to do some reading about the mechanics.

Too bad GOG could not acquire the rights for the full CD soundtrack in ROA 2. :(

Thanks! :brofist:

Visbhume

Prophet
This seems to be a bit different form the typical offer, in which you buy a bundle of games whithout the ability to pick-and-choose.

Antagonist

Liturgist
commie said:
There's always a torrent for this.

Could you point me to one which shows some signs of life, please? The last time I tried to fine one my torrent-foo must have left me as I could only find rips from JoWooD's latest substandard ROA release. And before anyone starts a hissy fit: I do own GOG's versions so ethically I'm clean.

For those asking about Battlecry 3: Very entertaining RTS with some choices to be made, Campaign map with plenty of areas, a hero to be leveled, and different races with different strengths involved. Highly underrated.

Tycn

Savant
Antagonist said:
commie said:
There's always a torrent for this.

Could you point me to one which shows some signs of life, please? The last time I tried to fine one my torrent-foo must have left me as I could only find rips from JoWooD's latest substandard ROA release. And before anyone starts a hissy fit: I do own GOG's versions so ethically I'm clean.
http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=12849

yaster

Liturgist
Mikayel said:
Sounds similar to Age of Wonders then?

Nope - AoW is actually fun. (and tb)

Battlecry have tons and tons of features, content, races, resources but in the end everything is underdeveloped. Clunky, uninspired, without proper direction - simply put - unfun. Quantity over quality.

When comes to fantasy RTSes with RPG features much better choice would be Kohan. Or Majesty. Or whatever next comes to my mind.

visions

Arcane
Tycn said:

We have reached our maximum user limit. Accounts are being pruned all the time so please check back soon (no hammering). Also, many of our existing members have been given invites, so if you ask around on other torrent sites there may be a member willing to donate one to you.<br /><br /> You can join us on our IRC chat channel: <a href="irc://irc.underground-gamer.com/chat">#chat</a> on <span style="font-weight: bold">irc.underground-gamer.com</span>.<br /><br /> Join <a href="irc://irc.underground-gamer.com/invites">#invites</a> if you specifically want to ask for an invite.

I'm thinking of giving the Realms of Arkania games a try, given the low price I might even purchase them from Gog instead of sailing the seven seas.

Regarding Warlord Battlecry, I found the second game fun when I was 14-15, don't know how similar the third one is. I liked the nonlinear campaign mode in WB 2. The main similarities to AoW were that you could pick units which would carry over with you to other maps and your leader was quite important and powerful like in AoW, other than that, they're not very similar games (quite obviously, since one is real-time, the other turn-based).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom