Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Avadon: The Black Fortress Interview

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Jeff Vogel; Spiderweb Software

<p><!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --></p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">Now that the details for <a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank"><strong>Avadon: The Black Fortess</strong></a> are out and about, we thought it time to pin down Jeff Vogel for another <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=205">round of questioning</a>.</p>
<p style="margin-bottom: 0in;">&nbsp;</p>
<blockquote>Any future plans not related to Avadon?<br /><br />Quite a few. We&rsquo;re looking hard at the future, figuring out if we have a place in it. In the near future, will will be releasing new, highly upgraded versions of the first Avernum trilogy. They are about a decade old and really showing their age.<br /><br />We are also looking hard at other platforms. Specifically the little ones that you carry around everywhere.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

mondblut

Arcane
Jason said:
In the near future, will will be releasing new, highly upgraded versions of the first Avernum trilogy.

That's not even funny anymore. Imagine Bioware remaking BG 4 times, whenever a new engine is available.

Oh wai-...

Imagine Bioware remaking BG 4 times and not even bothering to alter the character names, that is.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
that was disappointing on quite many levels.... it even has friggin giant rats...

at least i won't have to play it with those first trilogy remakes.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I think he'll be sorry about spending more time on yet more Avernum/Exile remakes. His core demographic has already played them extensively and if he wants to attract new people with his new awesome graphics, well, he's going to fail. I think he's frightened about leaving the ip/cashcow behind that was so popular.

15. Anything else we should know about Avadon?

Dragon Age: Origins, whatever you might think of it (and I loved it) showed that it’s possible to have a gritty, hardcore RPG with lots of system complexity and still appeal to a wide audience. I want to do the same thing with Avadon. I want it to have depth, still appeal to the more casual player, and, above all, to be really fun. I don’t know how well I will do, but it won’t be for lack of trying.

Gamepad support and fights requiring tactics such as pressing A, B, and X from time to time should be enough to recreate the kind of hardcore fun Dragon Age provides on 360. Can't wait !

Saxon1974

Prophet
I would be down for remakes if he upgraded the graphics and walking animation since I only played about half way throught the first Avernum.

But I do agree that those that have already played them arent likely to buy new and improved versions. Maybe he thinks he can appeal to new gamers or something.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So bascially, he only marginally improved the graphics, the engine is still the same... and he's going to do remakes?

At least they won't take him more than a month if he works quickly, heh.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
There will not be skills related to dialogue. Right now, I think it fits the game world better to make the best conversation trees I can and make those available to everyone.
:rage:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jason said:
In the near future, will will be releasing new, highly upgraded versions of the first Avernum trilogy. They are about a decade old and really showing their age.

WHHHHHHHHY?

At least re-make the Exile trilogy. Exile > Avernum.

Severian Silk

I'm OK with the remakes. It's not like there aren't other RPGs out there that would benefit from being remade with one or more of their core features scrapped and redone. (Arcanum with a proper turn-based system for instance.)

I've only bought one of the trilogies so far, so there's no way it could hurt me. ;)

Elzair

Cipher
mondblut said:
Jason said:
In the near future, will will be releasing new, highly upgraded versions of the first Avernum trilogy.

That's not even funny anymore. Imagine Bioware remaking BG 4 times, whenever a new engine is available.

Oh wai-...

Imagine Bioware remaking BG 4 times and not even bothering to alter the character names, that is.

Honestly, I would rather play BG 4 times than play the shit they released after it.

syllopsium

Educated
Of course he's remaking the games - it worked before and will (probably) work again. Look at the previous posts on his blog about how he makes money.

It should be fairly low effort on his behalf. I've only just started playing Avernum 6 demo and I can see why his games are successful. Sure, they're a bit clunky, but there's some nice touches and a definite storyline.

Tails

Arbiter
clockradiospeakers said:
I wouldn't mind remakes of the first three Geneforge games with the Geneforge 4/5/Avadon engine...
Indeed, this would be a wiser decision. Still I didn't play the first three ones, they just start have weird slowdowns in some places. 4/5 Geneforge work just fine.

istara

Novice
Anyone pick up on this?

"We are also looking hard at other platforms. Specifically the little ones that you carry around everywhere."

Just imagine BoA for the iPhone... I cannot wait...

Hobo Elf

Arcane
From the look of the character portrait in one of the Avadon screen shots I can at least say that Vogel has hired a better artist if anything. At least that much has improved.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Tails said:
Still I didn't play the first three ones, they just start have weird slowdowns in some places. 4/5 Geneforge work just fine.
The first three Geneforges work just as fine 99% of the time. The slowdowns only happen in areas with a lot of NPCs who have "flavor dialogue" popups (namely, the guards in cities). Other than that, I've experienced no problems with G1-3.

BlaineMono

Liturgist
What the fuck is Avadon? Is it like Avalon with a runny nose?

also Vogel either hides a horrible sequel-churning sweatshop in his basement or has this condition when his body literally excretes CRPGS.

Repressed Homosexual
WarHamster said:
Tails said:
Still I didn't play the first three ones, they just start have weird slowdowns in some places. 4/5 Geneforge work just fine.
The first three Geneforges work just as fine 99% of the time. The slowdowns only happen in areas with a lot of NPCs who have "flavor dialogue" popups (namely, the guards in cities). Other than that, I've experienced no problems with G1-3.

There was a lot of slowdown on my M11x with my Nvidia GPU, but when switching to Intel integrated graphics it was fine.

The culprit is probably modern Nvidia and ATI drivers.

Severian Silk

Yeah, I got slowdown when I tried playing AV4 if I remember correctly. No slowdown in 5 or 6 I think.

Haven't tried recently since I got my new vid card tho.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
BlaineMono said:
What the fuck is Avadon? Is it like Avalon with a runny nose?

also Vogel either hides a horrible sequel-churning sweatshop in his basement or has this condition when his body literally excretes CRPGS.
He sleeps 8 hours each night. It works wonders for productivity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom