Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News You're either the Predator or you're the Prey

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 2

<p>BioWare blesses us with an <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmbujw15mk&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">*The Story So Far*</a> trailer.</p>
<p>Obviously to promote their upcoming <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98248-mass-effect-2-demo-released-overlord-dlc-tomorrow.html" target="_blank">Overlord DLC</a> for Mass Effect 2.</p>
<p>May the Shepard save us all.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98253-mass-effect-2-qthe-story-so-farq-trailer.html">GB</a></p>

Silellak

Cipher
VentilatorOfDoom said:
<p>BioWare blesses us with an <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWmbujw15mk&feature=player_embedded" target="_blank">*The Story So Far*</a> trailer.</p>
<p>Obviously to promote their upcoming <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98248-mass-effect-2-demo-released-overlord-dlc-tomorrow.html" target="_blank">Overlord DLC</a> for Mass Effect 2.</p>
<p>May the Shepard save us all.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98253-mass-effect-2-qthe-story-so-farq-trailer.html">GB</a></p>
Pretty sure the "story so far" trailer is more aimed at the release of the ME2 demo, not the DLC.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
commie said:
All this shitty DLC for a shitty game is just shit. Makes me want to fucking puke at how fucking idiotic all this DLC is, all these characters that show up from nowhere, all these fucked achievements for fucktards.
You are not skyway.

Wait, I demoed ME2 like 4 months ago. What do you mean they are releasing the demo now? :smug:

...Oh, I see, they put out a demo for the xbawkz. :thumbsup:

Really, whats the point of putting a demo out nearly half a year after the game was released? And who made the call to include the subject zero mission, the one with potentially the most embarrassingly bad character Bioware has created?

With over 70 perfect review scores, Mass Effect 2 has earned the distinction of being the highest rated video game of 2010

Standards totally haven't declined, 70 different completely unbiased reviewers can't be wrong, amirite?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Played the demo, which was my first exposure to ME2. God, I had forgotten how much I fucking hate Bioware games. So I meet Jacob for the first time, where we're both pinned down and under fire from a substantially larger group of mechs. Perfect time to play 20 questions right? Evidently Bioware designers think so. I could've skipped all of that and gone right back to the fighting, but then I might have missed out on some background and story details.

Fucking Bioware, do they have no sense for pacing at all? If you've already been told you need to get to the escape shuttle ASAP, and you and your buddy are outnumbered and outgunned, the designers shouldn't give you a 5 minute break from the action to ask your buddy how he liked his job as station security chief. WTF?

Oh, and the opening made me hate Joker all the more. For once I thought I'd be able to leave him to die, and laugh maniacally as I escape and his crippled ass blows up, but no, of course not, I have to go save the dumbass and get myself killed in the process.

Fucking Bioware.

ScottishMartialArts said:
Played the demo, which was my first exposure to ME2. God, I had forgotten how much I fucking hate Bioware games. So I meet Jacob for the first time, where we're both pinned down and under fire from a substantially larger group of mechs. Perfect time to play 20 questions right? Evidently Bioware designers think so. I could've skipped all of that and gone right back to the fighting, but then I might have missed out on some background and story details.

Fucking Bioware, do they have no sense for pacing at all? If you've already been told you need to get to the escape shuttle ASAP, and you and your buddy are outnumbered and outgunned, the designers shouldn't give you a 5 minute break from the action to ask your buddy how he liked his job as station security chief. WTF?

Oh, and the opening made me hate Joker all the more. For once I thought I'd be able to leave him to die, and laugh maniacally as I escape and his crippled ass blows up, but no, of course not, I have to go save the dumbass and get myself killed in the process.

Fucking Bioware.

Wait, do they railroad you into that or is it just a cutscene? Lol if it's a '(a) I'll rescue you Joker, (b) Fuck yeah, I'll rescue you Joker, (c) Hold on Joker, I'll rescue you' dialogue choice:)

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Azrael the cat said:
Wait, do they railroad you into that or is it just a cutscene? Lol if it's a '(a) I'll rescue you Joker, (b) Fuck yeah, I'll rescue you Joker, (c) Hold on Joker, I'll rescue you' dialogue choice:)

They railroad you. You have two choices: "I'm coming for you, Joker." or "Damn it, Joker, I'm coming to get you." For a second there I thought I'd have an opportunity to kill the fucker off, but no such luck.

hoochimama

Liturgist

I do the same thing, explore every possible dialog path even when it doesn't make sense given the context(and few contexts make sense for npcs to act like encyclopedias) . In practice, very little of what's said in dialogs is actually useful to you, typically it's just flavoring text, you can always "cut to the chase" and still know all you need to know for anything. These are habits from older games that rewarded you for paying attention and hoarding info.

I don't agree with calling it a bioware thing however, the info dispenser dialogs seem pretty universal in mainstream rpgs(and probably a big pain for writers, look at all the npcs that complain about how inquisitive you are), AP is the first game that I find gets rid of it(as was advertised by MCA before the game came out), but it is still essentially a problem that comes from the player, not the game.

As an analogy I see it as similar to complaining how because you're able to save the game at any point it makes you reload to always get the best possible dialog or combat outcome: all it will get you is checkpoint save systems.

Just as many people would complain about not getting to ask someone a few questions before joining up with them. They have choices to accommodate more than one playstyle, you have only yourself to blame for playing the game in a way you already knew you wouldn't enjoy as much.

If the character called you a retard for trying to chat given the circumstances, would you have felt better?

Fucking Bioware.

Personally it didn't seem out of character to see Shepard trying to save the pilot who was about to go down with the ship and whose flying skills had saved his life before, paragon or renegade you're still in a fairly confined "savior of humanity/citadel" heroic role.

Most of this is nitpicking, the game has more serious flaws that even bioware has recognized(once the sales and hype died down they said they were going back to making ME3 more rpgish).

Also my bet is that this demo is more about the upcoming E3 ME3 debut than some dlc.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Well I played Alpha Protocol right before this demo, so I guess the idea of having dialogue that gets to the point and is context appropriate yet still interesting and full of choices was fresh in my head. That said, I think they could've waited until AFTER the fire fight for you to have a drawn out dialogue with Jacob. Even better, they could've kept the questioning to a minimum, thus keeping the sense of urgency alive, and waited until you reached the shuttle before detouring into full-on exposition land.

As for Joker, I always hated his character. First off, he was an annoying smartass who pushed all my "punch-him-in-the-face" buttons. More than that though, the concept of the cripple pilot is beyond retarded, and was way outside my ability to suspend my disbelief. I don't care how good a pilot he is; a man with brittle bone disease has no business on a military vessel. Shepherd has to help him to the escape pod, which in turn gets Shepherd killed -- exactly why Joker is a liability to the crew, no matter how good a pilot. It also bugged me to no end, that the asshole wouldn't shave. If I had had to fight so fucking hard to get the military to overlook my disability in order to let me fly for them, I sure as fuck wouldn't do anything half assed, to include taking care of my physical appearance. All these are just nitpicks on my part about his character. Still, it would give me a great deal of pleasure to see him killed off.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
All they had to do was post this

211qvyuvdcl.gif

And then saved a bunch of money.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Overweight Manatee said:
And who made the call to include the subject zero mission, the one with potentially the most embarrassingly bad character Bioware has created?

Well, Subject Zero is totaly hawt and totaly extreme hardcore and shit! Also the Dialog is so fucking Deep. Fuck Goethes Faust. This is the new shit.
Totally loved the line when Subject Zero and you explore this facility where they tortured kids and stuff. And then masterpiece of writing: "This is a bad place" NO FUCKING WAY! Thanks for saying I started to like this place! Surely this demo is hawt material for teh Xbawks.

I must say that I liked ME2 not as a RPG but as a shooter. The writing has (few) ups and (a lot of) downs, but is miles ahead of the shit you get in most other shooters (RAMIREZ! DEFEND THE BURGERTOWN!).

Had they targeted the SCI-FI crowd as they did in ME1 this game could have been better.

circ

Arcane
This is amazing. You're telling me that it isn't out for the XBOX yet? I thought ME 2 was a really shitty port of the XBOX version, again. Not that interface issues were its only faults.

Silellak

Cipher
circ said:
This is amazing. You're telling me that it isn't out for the XBOX yet? I thought ME 2 was a really shitty port of the XBOX version, again. Not that interface issues were its only faults.
It's out for the XBox, they just decided a demo was necessary 6 months after release, for the dozen or so people who couldn't make up their minds.
:retarded:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
commie said:
All this shitty DLC for a shitty game is just shit. Makes me want to fucking puke at how fucking idiotic all this DLC is, all these characters that show up from nowhere, all these fucked achievements for fucktards.

tbootsnx2.png

As for Joker, I always hated his character. First off, he was an annoying smartass who pushed all my "punch-him-in-the-face" buttons. More than that though, the concept of the cripple pilot is beyond retarded, and was way outside my ability to suspend my disbelief. I don't care how good a pilot he is; a man with brittle bone disease has no business on a military vessel. Shepherd has to help him to the escape pod, which in turn gets Shepherd killed -- exactly why Joker is a liability to the crew, no matter how good a pilot.

Iirc, the normandy is supposed to be a weak little ship that relies on it's stealth fields thingy anyway. And Joker is supposed to be crazy skilled. Like, superhuman.

It also bugged me to no end, that the asshole wouldn't shave.

implied-facepalm.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom