Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout New Vegas - Upping the Awesome Quotient

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>IGN had apparently <a href="http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/109/1096098p1.html" target="_blank">some hands-on time</a> with F:NV at E3.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Melee combat never looked that hot in Fallout 3 unless you used the unappealing third-person view. Fortunately, Obsidian has fixed the camera so that playing in third-person isn't just possible, it's preferable. The camera is now tight on the hip of the character instead of showing their poorly animated legs. This is a more traditional camera for a third-person action game and it makes a big difference in terms of playability. Obsidian is throwing in tons of wild and crazy looks and outfits that you will want to see in the third-person view.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>OMG! Wild and crazy looks and outfits! I can tell already this will be the best RPG since <span style="text-decoration: line-through;">Alphaturd</span> Alpha Protocol.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15112">RPGWatch</a></p>

Wow, a preview focusing on 'fun' weapons, and the opportunity to punch people in the nuts with a spiked gauntlet or something.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
Obsidian has fixed the camera

Bullshit

Genma:TheDestroyer said:
Wow, a preview focusing on 'fun' weapons, and the opportunity to punch people in the nuts with a spiked gauntlet or something.

Yeah, the previewer strikes me as one of those consumers that motivated the downfall of gaming.

Seriously - is this what 'fun' and humour in games has come to? Nut shots? It isn't the lowbrowness that makes me facepalm, insomuch as the sheer banality of it.

Monocause

Arcane
Abelon Blanchetourbe said:
"If it's broken, hide it"

Now that's clever.

I see nothing wrong with such a philosophy applied correctly. If the new camera really works *gasp* you'll have a better view improving the gameplay somewhat and you'll hide the shitty animation, at the same time sparing the time and cash they'd have to dedicate to the shitty graphics team if you'd want them to make a new one.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Just to point out, Fallout always had a lot going on for nut shots.

Indeed. Nut shots and the awesome death animations that blow Fallout 3's crap out of the water were made the combat so fun. That and the tension of turn-based combat.

Suchy

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:

Yeah, the previewer strikes me as one of those consumers that motivated the downfall of gaming.

Seriously - is this what 'fun' and humour in games has come to? Nut shots? It isn't the lowbrowness that makes me facepalm, insomuch as the sheer banality of it.
Before the release of F3, you people were bitching about lack of nut shots. Now you're bitching that it's back?

Angthoron

Arcane
It's just that they don't double over in pain authentically or in an entertaining fashion. Out of FPS tribe I guess only SoF pulled groin shots off properly.

Suchy said:
Azrael the cat said:

Before the release of F3, you people were bitching about lack of nut shots. Now you're bitching that it's back?

Different people, different complaints. I never bitched about lack of nut shots and I thought it was a stupid criticism at the time. You're complaining due to the LACK of a hivemind?

MetalCraze

Arcane
People complained about the lack of nut shots not because it was the lack of nut shots but because it was just a part of the whole pussifying for teenage morons.

Now they bring them back just for lulz, like it will save Failout 3 from sucking or something.

The camera is now tight on the hip of the character instead of showing their poorly animated legs. This is a more traditional camera for a third-person action game

...they're actually talking about over-the-shoulder camera, aren't they?

165628-3-1.jpg

dark-sector-20061121053132466-000.jpg

04bd0.jpg

*whimper*

Look at this. Why the fuck do people like the back of the PC's head taking so much screen space?

Angthoron

Arcane
No, no. It's an Over-the-Hips camera, where you have 1/4th of your screen covered by protagonist's ass. Silly.

Probly what they mean is the camera angle like that from AP when not taking aim.

Angthoron

Arcane
Der_Unbekannte said:
Angthoron said:
Over-the-Hips camera

Soooo the upper part of the body is transperant?

Either that or the character is running bent over. Admit it, that does give some unique possibilities for innovation and revolutionising the genre :D

...Or the hips are really damned wide.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom