Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview IGN looks at Dungeon Siege 3: Broken Code

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>There's a brief <a href="http://pc.ign.com/articles/109/1099488p1.html" target="_blank">preview at IGN</a> based on the E3 demo for Obsidian's <a href="http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showforum=79" target="_blank"><strong>Dungeon Siege III</strong></a>.</p>
<blockquote>The visuals in the demo were particularly impressive, with smooth animation and nice lighting effects. In terms of actual play, shown off were two character classes, the Guardian and the Archon. The Guardian is more of a melee class with bulky armor and a sword, and can switch between two stances. In one, the class can attack swiftly and do high damage to single targets. By swapping stances you'll swing more slowly and forcefully, which works better for controlling crowds and hacking away at groups of foes. A number of special abilities can also be triggered, including area of effect attacks and charge dashes that can knock enemies across the screen and off cliffs. While this is going on, the Archon sits back and lobs spells.</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

MetalCraze

Arcane
The visuals in the demo were particularly impressive, with smooth animation and nice lighting effects
In Obsidian game? Especially smooth animation :lol:

The brief demo looked good, so those looking for a pretty loot hunting experience should keep their eyes on this, which is scheduled for a multiplatform release in 2011.

Dungeon Siege made for a gamepad? OK it will suck even more.

Quilty

Magister
Man, these Guardian and Archon classes sound totally original.

Micmu

Magister
For fucks sake, not already. I thought we have at least a year before getting spammed with this garbage.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
micmu said:
For fucks sake, not already. I thought we have at least a year before getting spammed with this garbage.

No, in a year we'll already have the "I've pirated the game and tell you how many bugs it has" threads, because... well... Obsidian.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Lol @ the "impressive visuals". Not a good idea to trust anyone who says the graphics are good when the developer refuses to show them outside closed doors and only gives concept art.

Micmu

Magister
Suchy said:
Didn't read, but just one question: retarded H&S again or actual RPG this time?
It's an arrrpeegee if it has more stats than just hitpoints OR if it has Command&Conquer!!
So probably yes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian is saying there'll be no loading times as you transition between environments, letting you move from verdant forests to dark dungeons to dusty crypts.
First allegedly fixing Fallout 3's camera, now getting rid of long loading times. They're really growing up, aren't they?
If a character happens to lose all health, they can be revived in a flash if a teammate moves next to their body.
Expletive.

Micmu

Magister
You don't get it.
Dung Siege is all about automatism! Obsidian isn't going to rape the franchise.

Silellak

Cipher
Cool...

...maybe someone can use this engine to make another Ultima game. Would love to see one of these Ultima IX re-makes/re-imaginings/re-anythings actually get done.

Heartwarden

Educated
Would it be torture to give the second one a run through? I have it and have had it for a while now, but never got past.. I think, the tutorial, for whatever reason. I hear it's eternally boring.

It's strange seeing praise for Obsidian's graphical work, perhaps they're pulling out a few stops for this one. Although, they had wonderful direction in MoTB, which they could be combining with a less restrictive engine; first time using their own, no?

Shannow

Waster of Time
Heartwarden said:
Would it be torture to give the second one a run through? I have it and have had it for a while now, but never got past.. I think, the tutorial, for whatever reason. I hear it's eternally boring.
Well, it doesn't change. If you find the tutorial boring you might try some more, but if it still doesn't appeal to you an hour or so after, you should drop it. There won't be any major changes for the better.

ecliptic

Liturgist
They called it 'Broken Code'? Is that some nerdy joke? Also risky, considering Obsidian's bug track record..

Shannow

Waster of Time
ecliptic said:
They called it 'Broken Code'? Is that some nerdy joke? Also risky, considering Obsidian's bug track record..
You lost 4.2 gazillion Kodex Kool Kredits right there.

Crichton

Prophet
So there are always at least two characters, when there is no 2nd player, you can control either and the AI takes over the other. Sounds a lot like Lego Star Wars / Batman / Indiana Jones / Harry Potter. I guess that should encourage me since I love Lego Star Wars but the actual gameplay description makes it sound like Diablo and I hate Diablo. Bummer.

Heartwarden said:
It's strange seeing praise for Obsidian's graphical work, perhaps they're pulling out a few stops for this one. Although, they had wonderful direction in MoTB, which they could be combining with a less restrictive engine; first time using their own, no?

Alpha protocol says otherwise. The environments definitely had good design, but they were no where near impressive from a graphical standpoint. Though I don't know whether this is entirely Obsidian not having much power in the graphics department or Obsidian being really, really careful not to overload the poor xbawkxers with too much detail.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Shannow said:
ecliptic said:
You lost 4.2 gazillion Kodex Kool Kredits right there.

That number is nothing compared to the amount of my brain cells that went into apoptosis after reading his post.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom