Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Metalheart interview at GameBanshee

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Akella; Metalheart: Replicants Rampage

<a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com>GameBanshee</a> has posted an <a href=http://www.gamebanshee.com/interviews/metalheartrr.php>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.akella.com/newslast-en.shtml>Akella</a> developers about <a href=http://www.metalheart.ru/main.html>Metalheart</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>GB: You've said in previous articles that the game will have some similarities to the Fallout and Jagged Alliance games. Can you describe some of the similarities and differences that M:RR will have to these previous games?
<br>
<br>
Akella: Combat system of Metalheart is pretty similar to one in Jagged Alliance series, and its “postapocalyptic” aesthetica is very much like what we’ve seen in Fallout, but there many things that are different. First off, there were no nuclear war or any other cataclysm. Then, characters won’t have any perks and traits, and whole idea of the game is very different from Fallout. Lantan and Cheris aren’t Chosen Ones, they’re not going to save the world, they only want to save their asses. And, of course, there are implants in Metalheart, they have huge impact on gameplay.
<br>
<br>
GB: In conclusion, what gameplay aspects do you feel will set Metalheart: Replicants Rampage apart from the many other RPGs available on the market? Any other final comments about the game?
<br>
<br>
Akella: Of course this aspect is implants that make the borderline between races very thin. With them you can turn one slow, inaccurate, bad-seeing idiot, into a perfect killing machine that can win the Nobel award between adventures. Of course, I’m exaggerating, but you get the point. This implants feature changes whole role-playing process and making it really different to what has been before. </blockquote>Damn! After that thing with Exitium I can't even enjoy bitching about something anymore, so I will let this stupid implant thing slide. Discuss!
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.nma-fallout.com/">NMA</A>

EEVIAC

Erudite
I agree that it changes whole role-playing process and making it really different to what has been before, I don't see how it makes it any better. What part of the game remains an RPG if the innate character attributes are going to be rendered meaningless or not exist at all? Everyone being equal under the implant just sounds stupid. Weren't people having a laugh about Space Hack using a similar system a few months ago? Its dissappointing because Akella were doing so well up to this point -

[...]they’re not going to save the world, they only want to save their arses.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I don't have much hope for this game, because it doesn't seem to offer anywhere as much choice-making as Restricted Area, which also looks a whole lot better, come to mention it.

However, it might have tactics, so who knows?

Jed

Cipher
Restricted are is RT with guns. No thank you. I'm much, much more interested in Metalheart despite how deriviative it may be--or perhaps because it's derivative, considering the games the devs are citing as inspiration.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I can only pray that Metalheart has as much depth as Jagged Alliance 2 and not as little as Fallout. Fallout's combat was good, but the tactical options of JA2 should be the standard these days. I'd hate to see another shitfest like FOT.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Metalheart may look a little like Fallouts, it even may have TB combat wich is rarity today. But it has implants and pre-generated chars with pre-generated built-in life-stories and fixed minimal party size. That all beats down any interest in this game.

For implants I have some special words to say - IMPLANTS SUCK. I just hate them because it makes sci-fi game like fantasy's direct clone with all its stupid potions and special items. And I also dont like the idea of implant itself. Of course, if it was possible to play game without having to implant some shit or another, I'd be happy. However, it seems Akella puts stress on IMPLANTS, so it means it is the games c007est feature. Oh well, they got 0 points from me.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I get the feeling the only chance for a good TB isometric RPG anytime soon (outside of indies) is Golden Land...I'm certainly not expecting all that much from this.

I have to agree that the implants and pre-generated chars sound like hell.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I had a dream a few nights ago that I had optical implants that not only made my vision higher definition than it is now, but also allowed me to zoom like a pair of binoculars or even see things at a microsopic level. What was strange about that dream is how I could control all the functions of my enhanced eyes using my optic nerve. Strangely, even as I lie awake, I can still feel like I am controlling my optic nerves to zoom in and out and have some small experience of what it would be like to have an actual optical implant.

Odd.

Amerestatistic

Liturgist
I had a dream in which I raped a girl, and then she turned into a tank.

We have a lot in common.

EEVIAC

Erudite
xJEDx said:
Aren't the implants just a game device to replace perks or feats?

Depends on whether the implants are permanent or not. If you have to make a choice between the Bendy Spine or the Kevlar Spine implant and stick with that choice, maybe. If they're interchangable so that one can go from Gunzo to Sammy Scientist at the flick of a chip, it going to be pretty fucking stupid. Maybe its talk of adding something really different that makes me wonder whether they've been rifling through Warren's design docs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom