Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News See how Final Fantasy inspires Dragon Age 2

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Age 2

<p>If big ass swords is your thing, take a look at <a href="http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/12/dragon-age-ii-first-screenshots.aspx">the first screenshots for Dragon Age 2</a>.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p style="padding-left: 30px;">These exclusive hi-res screens of Dragon Age II showcase the new artistic direction for the game, depicting the new designs for darkspawn Hurlocks and Ogres. The team at BioWare is also aware that many gamers weren't satisfied with the graphical quality in Origins; Dragon Age II not only looks better, but sports a new artistic direction that gives the world of Thedas a more distinct visual identity.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>They <em>always </em>listen to the graffiks whores when it comes to deciding which improvements they need to make.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><span class="postbody"><em>Alexandros is responsible for this one</em>.<br /></span></p>

Angthoron

Arcane
Hmm, just crossed my mind - Thedas, isn't that sort of like repeating "the" twice in a row, once in English and once in German?

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Big ass sword is actually not so big ass.
Just some normal sized 2-handed sword. Hell the german "Zweihänder" was bigger (up to 1,8m) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder).

Sooo, not that much influence by FF.

Angthoron said:
Hmm, just crossed my mind - Thedas, isn't that sort of like repeating "the" twice in a row, once in English and once in German?
Jeah. But Bioware was mighty imaginativ with the name anyways:

The name was originally an acronym used on the BioWare Dragon Age forums. It stands for THE Dragon Age Setting.
(http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Thedas)

Angthoron

Arcane
Der_Unbekannte said:
Angthoron said:
Jeah. But Bioware was mighty imaginativ with the name anyways:

The name was originally an acronym used on the BioWare Dragon Age forums. It stands for THE Dragon Age Setting.
(http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Thedas)

:facepalm:

That's just... They're not even trying are they?

The Wizard

Educated
Der_Unbekannte said:
Just some normal sized 2-handed sword. Hell the german "Zweihänder" was bigger (up to 1,8m) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweih%C3%A4nder).
with the difference being that a beidhänder isn't actually as broad as your goddamn thigh.

it's nice to see that da2 will be just as fucking ugly in the graphical design area as da was. i was worried there for a millisecond.

Dabrinko

Educated
The swords were pretty big in origins too. I mean, the daggers were like short swords and the short swords like longswords and so on.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
The Wizard said:
Der_Unbekannte said:
with the difference being that a beidhänder isn't actually as broad as your goddamn thigh.

it's nice to see that da2 will be just as fucking ugly in the graphical design area as da was. i was worried there for a millisecond.

Hm. Seemed I was too focused on length.
Still, not the biggest sword I've ever seen in a screenshot, so all the hassle around is is kinda anti-fanboyish.

zwei2.jpg

Notice how the zweihander is about 1/3rd as broad as what the character in the screenshot is holding.

Course, by far the last thing about DA that needs fixing is the weapon design.

Der_Unbekannte

Educated
Trash said:
That sword in the screenshot looks like a bastard sword or a small kind of zweihander. Museums here are filled with those. What's so special about it?

The useless saw teeth
the fact that it is waaaay broader than any realistic sword.
Nothing else.

Phelot

Arcane
The team at BioWare is also aware that many gamers weren't satisfied with the graphical quality in Origins; Dragon Age II not only looks better, but sports a new artistic direction that gives the world of Thedas a more distinct visual identity.

Boy that's infuriating considering the rather perfect scores and acclaims for the graphics in the original. You'd think journalists would catch themselves.

Anyways, I don't know what the fuck the writer is talking about, anyone looking at these screens should notice that these graphics look outdated and bland. Though kudos for the toned down bloom effects, but they probably just didn't turn it on. Maybe they should have.

4too

Arcane
**Dawn Of THE Silicon Age**

**Dawn Of THE Silicon Age**

Girls, guys, and wanna-bees, this IS the 21st C-CE-CENTURY!

Size matters.

Line up, and sign up, for YOUR preferred external enhancement , TODAY! :salute:

4too

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The swords were pretty big in origins too. I mean, the daggers were like short swords and the short swords like longswords and so on."

This. Why the continued butthurt overn sword size?

xemous

Arcane
At least they tried to make the armor somewhat european in the first DA. Now it's all asian spikes and other such elven nonsense. What happened to a good grounding in medieval armor, it's all gone outa style with these new age faggots.

big-guardian.jpg

ecliptic

Liturgist
I was expecting something more ridiculous, cloud-sized. That's not out of the ordinary for RPGs.

The graphics are way too... sparse. Clean. The first shot looks okay, but the second one looks like they used the wrong LOD models... So many naked polygons... Like all of the jutting triangles... Just doesn't look good. Like a game from 2002.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the new art direction looks like some kind of shitty wowified mmo.

Monocause

Arcane
Jesus
DA2firstscreens01.jpg

This just looks... crap and would fit an MMORPG. Notice the empty background + tentacles that try to pass for vegetation.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Castanova said:
These screenshots look atrocious. Why would they release them?

So that they look better once they're out of alpha version and Bio will be able to say 'Look! We listened to our fans and upgraded teh graphicz!'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom