Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Dungeon Siege III Previews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>Dungeon Siege III, currently in development by Obsidian Entertainment, receives some previewing.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Gamesradar concede that the <a href="http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/dungeon-siege-3/preview/dungeon-siege-3-first-look/a-20100719172119139033/g-20100607124119104055" target="_blank">graphics are stunning</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Perhaps the most striking new feature was the one that showcased the game&rsquo;s stunning graphics. You&rsquo;ll be able to survey your surroundings more effectively by using vistas &ndash; vantage points in areas that let you see far out into the distance, giving a better glimpse of the areas and goals that lie in wait. This has allowed the developers at Obsidian to remove the unsightly mini-map that mucks up the view in most Action RPGs from Dungeon Siege 3&rsquo;s HUD. It might seem like a terrible design choice at first, but once you see the beautiful landscapes stretching before you from a vista point, we doubt you&rsquo;ll miss that ugly thing.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>NowGamer is excited by the promise of some <a href="http://xbox-360.nowgamer.com/previews/xbox-360/1166/dungeon-siege-iii" target="_blank">dungeon crawling</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>As ever, the emphasis in Dungeon Siege 3 will be on Diablo-like hack-and-slash combat against hordes of D&amp;D-style enemies with the usual loot drops, weapons and other goodies to run around gathering as you quest. As you'd expect, Obsidian is promising the usual gamut of dungeon crawler environments, from snowy forests to deep dark dungeons for you to explore, but there&rsquo;s a great epic feel to the world of Dungeon Siege 3 that we can't wait to explore.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>And finally Gamespot found out that George Ziets <a href="http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6270864/fallout-devs-on-thinking-inside-the-box" target="_blank">immersed himself</a> into the world of Dungeon Siege, suffering for the greater good I presume.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>As with Gonzalez, Ziets first immersed himself in the established world of the franchise, playing all of the previous Dungeon Siege games. He then acquired Dungeon Siege's lore bible from Gas Powered Games, reading and internalizing the backstory of the franchise.</p>
<p>From there, Ziets said he settled upon four conditions to establish what the team should focus on in crafting the new game. These included what he and his team were most excited by, what is most central to the franchise, what can provide interesting visuals and gameplay, and what will make the fans happy.</p>
<p>As a result of this process, the team pulled a number of elements from the original Dungeon Siege. Namely, the game would be returning to the Kingdom of Ebb, and it would focus on the 10th Legion, which was a central protective force. From there, it became a matter of expanding the world by doing their own bit of world-building. To get this process started, Ziets sat down to write the Ebb sourcebook, which is a compilation of short stories, legends, calendars, and even a language.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/98932-dungeon-siege-iii-previews.html">GB</a></p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
With George Ziets working on the story, there is certainly a reason to wonder if he can pull off another MotB.

Andhaira

Arcane
Meh, it'll be another action rpg. Though better than most. But OTOH it will be buggy and unoptimized. (obsidian)

Whipporowill

Erudite
One thing DS had down pat was the environment bit - and it seems like they're aiming to keep doing that. The seemless exploration bit and SEKRIT dungeons was pretty cool to stumble upon...

So yeah, whatever haters, I'll play it.

racofer

Thread Incliner
2aexfra.gif

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The graphics seem to get a lot of praise. I really hope we get to see more games in the Onyx engine soon.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"With George Ziets working on the story, there is certainly a reason to wonder if he can pull off another MotB."

Doubtful he will even try to. DS3 is a whole different type of game with different goals.

That said, DS3 is the only Obsidian game I'm looking forward to despite the other DS games being shit. It definitely can't be worse than Alphafail.

:retarded:

KalosKagathos

Learned
This has allowed the developers at Obsidian to remove the unsightly mini-map that mucks up the view in most Action RPGs from Dungeon Siege 3’s HUD. It might seem like a terrible design choice at first, but once you see the beautiful landscapes stretching before you from a vista point, we doubt you’ll miss that ugly thing.
:/

That said (emoted?), I'm still looking forward to DS 3. Ziets is cool, and I'd like to see Onyx in action.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Minimap was utterly pointless in DS anyway since the game was one looooooooooooooooooong corridor.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Sceptic said:
Minimap was utterly pointless in DS anyway since the game was one looooooooooooooooooong corridor.

You never played the MP map I hear. That one wasn't - a lot of optional paths and it was pretty much a circle. Great map design. Few action games are non-linear after all.

Phelot

Arcane
DS 1 was one of those games that I played all the way through, had enough fun going along, but wondered why the fuck I played through it all at the end.

It had enough prettyness to get me through, but yeah it was rather retarded. Not my idea of the perfect action RPG, but still fun enough to be a major time sink.

DS2 I didn't like at all.

Anyways, I'll no doubt check it out.

StrangeCase

Educated
Co-op mode adds additional depth by providing new ways to assist your partner: we saw a fallen warrior being aided back to health by his companion in a manner not unlike Left 4 Dead or Gears of War.

Yeah I'm not sure how "deep" that is, but whatever, gaming journalist dude. Consider me reassured. :thumbsup:

ZbojLamignat

Educated
Sceptic said:
Minimap was actually crucial - it helped finding secret areas with tons of good loot.

flushfire

Augur
phelot said:
DS 1 was one of those games that I played all the way through, had enough fun going along, but wondered why the fuck I played through it all at the end.

It had enough prettyness to get me through, but yeah it was rather retarded. Not my idea of the perfect action RPG, but still fun enough to be a major time sink.

DS2 I didn't like at all.

Anyways, I'll no doubt check it out.
you like boring clickfest with 0 attack variety and close to non-existent character development better than skill trees?

Drakron

Arcane
Why they keep taking things off and then try to pass it as a "improvement"?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Because 9 out of 10 people accept said improvements if someone calls them that way.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom