Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Story is important in Dungeon Siege III

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Siege III; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>This piece of information <a href="http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108599p1.html" target="_blank">has been unearthed</a> by IGN while interviewing Obsidian Entertainment's Rich Taylor.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>IGN: Obsidian's always been known for doing a great job of embedding interesting stories into its game worlds, so can you talk about the story surrounding Dungeon Siege III and how much of an integral part of the experience it is? <br /> <br /> Rich Taylor:</strong> We can't go into story details at this time. We can say that story is every bit as important in Dungeon Siege III as other titles we have developed at Obsidian such as Neverwinter Nights 2 and Knights of the Old Republic 2. The player will be an integral part of the story that unfolds as they progress through the adventure. There will be decisions the player has to make. These choices can impact how your party feels about you or affect the way other characters in the game respond to you. There are times when the player has to make a decision that will make one group or another unhappy, and this will have a long term effect on aspects of the story. <br /> <br /> One of the refinements we are making to this system for Dungeon Siege III is that we are having each of these decisions have a short term, mid-term and long term affect on the game. So, you'll see the effects of your decisions constantly as you play through to the end.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>But will the game have romances? Dragon Age with its elven buttsecks raised the bar significantly in that regard.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15402">RPGWatch</a></p>

Phelot

Arcane
Story probably shouldn't be important. They should just focus on having fun gameplay. No more of the dreaded "C&C" please. Not for this game at least.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Even Dungeon Siege reached a new low with Obsidian.
A game which is all about killing the shit out of enemies is now about retarded emo-faggotry and romances.

Impossible.

Why can't we just have a normal game today and not another dating sim?

Bitcher

Educated
I don't recall any romances in F3 or Oblivion.
I guess that's why Skyway likes that second one so much now. :smug:
And don't let the fact that nothing about romances was mentioned in this interview stop you.

Silellak

Cipher
Bitcher said:
And don't let the fact that nothing about romances was mentioned in this interview stop you.
Some day people here will realize that blind criticism is just as bad as blind praise, right?

...right?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Silellak said:
Bitcher said:
Some day people here will realize that blind criticism is just as bad as blind praise, right?

...right?

I've been saying that from day one when I registered here.

So far, nothing.

Silellak said:
Bitcher said:

...right?

I wouldn't exactly call it blind these days. Though, I suppose the argument could be put forward that as the gaming target is so bloody huge these days, a blind man could hit it fairly easily with criticism, no?

I would put it at 95% accuracy to say a new game...especially an CRPG...will be rubbish before hearing even the first few details about it.

Silellak

Cipher
Blackadder said:
Silellak said:
Bitcher said:

...right?

I wouldn't exactly call it blind these days. Though, I suppose the argument could be put forward that as the gaming target is so bloody huge these days, a blind man could hit it fairly easily with criticism, no?

I would put it at 95% accuracy to say a new game...especially an CRPG...will be rubbish before hearing even the first few details about it.
There's a difference between "this game will probably suck because Obsidian games always have sub-par gameplay" and "this game will probably suck because it's all about emo-faggotry and romances".

Criticize what we know, or at least what's open to debate, not random made-up shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
Criticize what we know, or at least what's open to debate, not random made-up shit.

Where is this blind criticism and random made up shiOh sorry I totally forgot - Obsidian is known for making games with good gameplay that aren't about LARP'ing and flirting with your party members, especially not the last one - which was full on emo faggotry, oh no. Not when they mentioned that party relationships are in in a fucking Dungeon Siege of all games.

I think I'll just close my eyes and pretend that Obsidian wasn't making games for 6 years

Haha I remember how it was a "blind criticism with made up shit" during AP's hype campaign - and then AP came out and suddenly it was "oh ok it's all there but it's good for what it is!!!11"

MetalCraze

Arcane

Well let's see. It will cause me to use retarded arguments like "this is a blind criticism" (Obsidian wasn't making games for all those years - note: doesn't apply to Bethesda, Bioware, EA and other "uncool" devs), "there is not enough information!" (after tons of previews and videos showing gameplay - note: doesn't apply to "uncool" devs - see all those witty comments to DA2 newsposts next door), "you can't criticize it before you've played it!" (reviews are just made by random retards who just hate niche games like RPGs from Obsidian - obviously doesn't apply to everyone else), "you haven't played it enough" (we all know that Obsidian's vidya game becomes awesome 5 seconds after someone ragequit from playing this supercool game), "you've completed it that means you've liked it" (yeah why else would you complete it).

Hey sounds like a nice deal. Knowing that in the following months we will come through each and every one of these stages of fanboy Special Olympics and all.

KalosKagathos

Learned
MetalCraze said:
"you can't criticize it before you've played it!"
experiencei.jpg

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:

Well let's see. It will cause me to use retarded arguments like "this is a blind criticism" (Obsidian wasn't making games for all those years - note: doesn't apply to Bethesda, Bioware, EA and other "uncool" devs), "there is not enough information!" (after tons of previews and videos showing gameplay - note: doesn't apply to "uncool" devs - see all those witty comments to DA2 newsposts next door), "you can't criticize it before you've played it!" (reviews are just made by random retards who just hate niche games like RPGs from Obsidian - obviously doesn't apply to everyone else), "you haven't played it enough" (we all know that Obsidian's vidya game becomes awesome 5 seconds after someone ragequit from playing this supercool game), "you've completed it that means you've liked it" (yeah why else would you complete it).

Hey sounds like a nice deal. Knowing that in the following months we will come through each and every one of these stages of fanboy Special Olympics and all.
I imagine you and the Obsidian Fanboy Squad might be quite content to just ignore each other, since as you say, you're all just going to end up having all the same arguments again.

My point was just that "emo faggotry and romances" is a bit too specific of a criticism when all the preview mentions is "characters, including your party, reacting to decisions you make." I'll actually be pretty surprised if there's any romance in Dungeon Siege 3, though hey, I could be wrong. How many Obsidian games have actually had full-fledged Biowarian romances, anyway? This is actually an honest question, because I can't remember. The only ones I can think of are NWN2 OC and AP.

My main concern with DS3 is that a Diablo-style action RPG has to have solid gameplay or it's worthless, and Obsidian's proven time and again that "gameplay" is usually the weakest part of their games.

Phelot

Arcane
There will be decisions the player has to make. These choices can impact how your party feels about you or affect the way other characters in the game respond to you. There are times when the player has to make a decision that will make one group or another unhappy, and this will have a long term effect on aspects of the story.

Seriously, they really need to not bother. Just fucking make the game like the last two and even the second one sucks because they tried to make a engrossing story and it just fell flat on it's face. They thought people would want to do quests in the stupid elf town.

Instead they should just push the player along the cool Disney haunted house style gameplay were you go along a narrow linear path and go "oow ahhh" at all the cool sites.

I'm telling you they're going to fuck it up trying to add in stupid shit. Just give the player AWSUM spell effects, blood and guts, armor that shows off delicious cleavage, nice sights and sounds and we should be good to go.

No seriously, I mean that. Fuck C&C, fuck divergent story arcs, fuck romance. Just release a normal fucking game without getting into these now tired gimmicks. They're like tits: they start off nice and firm and end up old and saggy. They should be telling us how they have an awesome physics engine that allows for realistic flying of heads and limbs and showing totally awsum crystal caves and snowy forests or some shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
My point was just that "emo faggotry and romances" is a bit too specific of a criticism when all the preview mentions is "characters, including your party, reacting to decisions you make."
As far as I remember Ghann was quite an animeish emokid himself too. So MotB had some of that too. KotOR2 - I don't remember so can't say for sure.
But after Obsidian reached such an absolute low with AP which was nothing but a dating sim with shitty combat thrown in supported by Obsidian's fapping to how awesome this is - I won't hold my breath.

My main concern with DS3 is that a Diablo-style action RPG has to have solid gameplay or it's worthless, and Obsidian's proven time and again that "gameplay" is usually the weakest part of their games.
I posted about this in the other thread. What's worse is that Obsidian tries to include their crappy LARP'ing, companions and fake "decisions" instead of working on a gameplay. This is Dungeon Siege out of all games ffs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Well let's see. It will cause me to use retarded arguments like "this is a blind criticism" (Obsidian wasn't making games for all those years - note: doesn't apply to Bethesda, Bioware, EA and other "uncool" devs), "there is not enough information!" (after tons of previews and videos showing gameplay - note: doesn't apply to "uncool" devs - see all those witty comments to DA2 newsposts next door), "you can't criticize it before you've played it!" (reviews are just made by random retards who just hate niche games like RPGs from Obsidian - obviously doesn't apply to everyone else), "you haven't played it enough" (we all know that Obsidian's vidya game becomes awesome 5 seconds after someone ragequit from playing this supercool game), "you've completed it that means you've liked it" (yeah why else would you complete it). "

What's your user name on the Obsidian baords? You just quoted every excuse Obsidian fanboys have used against me on that forum. LMFAO

Sannom

Augur
Silellak said:
How many Obsidian games have actually had full-fledged Biowarian romances, anyway? This is actually an honest question, because I can't remember. The only ones I can think of are NWN2 OC and AP.

KOTOR 2 and MotB have romance elements, too. You could say even more than the games you mentioned, since the romanceable characters (Atton, Visas, Handmaiden, Disciple, Gann, Safiya) were always with the hero (instead of meeting them only once in a while like in AP, and that's counting only the non-rape romances) and that the only characters in NWN2 OC that sounded really interested in you (Neeshka, Bishop) weren't options...

Bitcher

Educated
Like I've said, recent Bethesda games don't have romances. Are they good? Fuck no. BG2 and Torment have romances (even if the one in Torment is miles from the usual Biowarian fare). Are they good? Yeah (or fuck yeah, depending whether or not youre Infinity fag ;) ) The conclusion being its not the romances which are a problem with recent RPGs, just overall decline. You may argue that Obsidian should spend more time with gameplay and less with LARPing options, but do you honestly think, it would solve the problem? Considering that the latest mainstream RPG with good gameplay was ToEE I have my doubts. Its just the next gen crowd which doesnt want complex, engaging gameplay, because they have too short attention spans and lack patience. Blame them, not romance options.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Considering that the latest mainstream RPG with good gameplay was ToEE I have my doubts."

Bullshitz. DA, ME2, NWN2,and a host of others have good or rgeater gameplay. Better than the vast majority of 'old skool' games. LMFAO DTU LMFAO

Plus, TOEE had a good combat and character system but piss poor gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom