Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Divine Divinity/Beyond Divinity Retro Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Divine Divinity; Larian Studios

<p>Celebrating the release of Divinity 2: Flames of Vengeance, which lies unopened on my desk, GamesmediaPro retro-reviewed <a href="http://gamesmediapro.com/reviews/divine-divinity-retro-review/" target="_blank">Divine Divinity</a> and <a href="http://gamesmediapro.com/reviews/beyond-divinity-retro-review/" target="_blank">Beyond Divinity</a>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>One thing is certain if anything about <em>Divine Divinity</em> and that is the actual <em>World of Aleroth</em>&nbsp;is enormous! Taking into account the size of the open world will be daunting for those gamers unused to such freedom in a title, especially due to the more linear nature of <em>RPG&rsquo;s</em> even as more recent as <em>Dragon Age:Origins</em>, it is handy then that the developers included the very useful <em>&lsquo;teleportation&rsquo; </em>system of travel for your character to venture in this vast fantasy kingdom. Interaction with your environment is, even by todays gaming standards, on an unprecedented level, as you can literally come into contact and interact with just about <em>anything </em>that you can see in the<em>&nbsp;World of Aleroth</em>. And with the first real glimmer of a successful morality consequence being incorporated into the game there is much more to <em>Divine Divinity</em>&nbsp;than would be imagined. This is not mindless hack&rsquo;n'slash&nbsp;as you run from one meaningless&nbsp;battle to the next, only stopping off at the local merchants in between fights to pawn off the goods that you have plundered from the cold dead hands of your fallen adversary. Oh no! The gameplay in <em>Divine Divinity</em> shows far more complexity and depth that followers of the<em> RPG</em> genre will no doubt recognise from facets of a whole multitude of later, more recent tiles such as <em>Fallout, Oblivion</em> and<em> Dragon Age:Origins.</em></p>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99059-divine-divinitybeyond-divinity-retro-reviews.html">GB</a></p>

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Divine Divinity is perfect example of good h'n's combat mixed with good rpg, something to show those "baaw diablo killed rpg" retards too.

Topher

Cipher
I never got very far in DD but remember having a lot of fun, time to reinstall.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Ah yes. The first time I left the village, I thought I'd explore the map before going to bed. I felt silly when I discovered that the thing was actually huge.

Phelot

Arcane
Certainly a fun game with lots of style, good light humor, and excellent music. Not to mention the nice art. A real shining example of just how beautiful 2D games can be.

And I still consider it to be just above average and yet it still manages to be better then most of the shit produced today.

ortucis

Prophet
I quit (temporarily) near the hilly area, somewhere with fuckload of Orc armies. Good game and best music ever.

I'd re-install it if I wasn't busy with Sacred 2, which is now officially my most favorite HnS game after Titan Quest.

Risine

Liturgist
Just played the first one some times ago.
This game is somewhere between Diablo and Icewind Dale.
It's a good action game, but, wow, the writings is just awful, couldn't believe it.

How's beyond compared to Divine? Is it worth giving it a try?

Phelot

Arcane
Risine said:
It's a good action game, but, wow, the writings is just awful, couldn't believe it.

You don't mean the voice acting? Because yeah it's pretty fucking funny especially that first elf guy that is trying to help his master.

But I thought the writing was solid enough. Nothing special at all, but there was some cleverness at times.

Risine

Liturgist
I was talking about the writings. They really felt amateur, in the bad way.
And for the cleverness ... maybe there were some C&C in this game and I didn't follow the right path. :)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I've been meaning to get back to this game as I only played it about three or four hours after buying it for $3 on GoG. Unfortunately there are about a dozen games on my 'need to finish' list.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Hoaxmetal said:
Divine Divinity is perfect example of good h'n's combat mixed with good rpg, something to show those "baaw diablo killed rpg" retards too.

Yet:
* it's not that good
* Diablo killed RPG

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Tramboi said:
Hoaxmetal said:

Yet:
* it's not that good
* Diablo killed RPG
*It's good enough.
*DERP

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
I think the reviewer is spot on when he describes DD as the (almost) perfect blend of ARPG and traditional RPG.

According to all the previews I've read on Diablo III, this is what Blizzard is aiming for as well. They've mentioned more than once that D3 will have a lot more 'RPG' than the previous games - more C&C, more story, more interactivity, less linear etc...

Man I sure hope they can strike that ballance the way Larian did with DD.

m_s0

Arcane
Divine Divinity is an enjoyable game, even if I always felt as if it lacked something and I couldn't get into it all that much. The combat was annoying as hell about 80% of the time, the writing was a bit amateurish, the main plot was less engaging than and clearly secondary to the sidequests but overall I have fond memories of it. Not that I'll replay it or pay GOG to support their idea of releasing a new patch which is available only to someone who bought the downloadable version of the game which is essentially a big "fuck you" to the people who paid for the game more, possibly even the initial price which exceeds 5-10$, and when it actually meant that Larian can continue to exist if the game sells

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
It's the best hack'n'slash style game and it's definitely better than the Diablo games. It can be actually considered an (a)RPG and not an item-hording-Asperger-syndrome simulator.

Monocause

Arcane
Cool that the reviewer gave Beyond Divinity some exposition. Just that the review is a bit too positive. Seriously, how can you call the battlefields a good idea?

Ruprekt

Scholar
Bearing in mind the price I think the GoG thing is reasonable. The game is repackaged and patched (to work properly with widescreen) and you get the OST.

I was more pissed off with the original release which was barely playable on my PC of 2002. DD was really taxing for a 2d game.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
How's the sequel? I think I've heard it's rather mediocre, compared to the first one.

Phelot

Arcane
Mr. Teatime said:
How's the sequel? I think I've heard it's rather mediocre, compared to the first one.

It is rather mediocre, but still it's a lot of fun before you turn into a dragon. I must say, the combat mimics the first game rather well. Nice atmospheres, great music, but in the end nothing really new, just a standard action RPG.

Really, the second half ruined the game for me and the "building" of your fortress was more a great idea done terribly boring and tedious.

ortucis

Prophet
phelot said:
Really, the second half ruined the game for me and the "building" of your fortress was more a great idea done terribly boring and tedious.

So just like Divinity 2's second half eh? Well, I'll keep ignoring the sequel then.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I've never been able to get into either of the Diablos but enjoyed the first DD. I'd heard it recommended by a few people here that share similar tastes in games and their advice that the first 'dungeon' which is five levels long is a tedious dungeon crawl, so I persevered through it and eventually found myself in a rather large open world with tons of quests and a fair amount of humour.

Maybe the writing isn't great, or the plot exceptional but at least it turned into an RPG even if it has click click click combat. Actually besides that and Gothic 2:NotR I can't think of anything better I've played in the last five years.

And yes, the music is spectacular and I don't usually pay attention to it in games.

I haven't played any of the sequels so I can't comment, for my tastes, it sounds like none of them are quite as good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom