Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview GameSpot brings another FO3 Q&A

Spazmo

Erudite
Tags: Bethesda Softworks; Fallout 3

<b>Todd Howard</b>, head honcho for the Elder Scrolls games and also the guy in charge of Fallout 3, did a <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/13/news_6102442.html>quick Q&A</a> with <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc">Gamespot PC</a>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Todd Howard: To early to say, we're looking at many options.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
That pretty much sums up the entire thing.

TFVanguard

Liturgist
Re: GameSpot brings another FO3 Q&A

Spazmo said:

Probably the truest words on the subject, that they are.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
GS: Fallout had many unique elements for an RPG, including its extensive (and iconic) perk system and darkly comic tone. Will those be present in the sequel?

TH: Oh yes. Most definitely. "Bloody Mess" is the best perk ever, where your enemies die in ultra-violent ways.

parsley!

plin

Liturgist
I dunno why these sites keep contacting them thinking they will get more out of them then the others.

Voss

Erudite
Moving staff around helps game development?
Yeah. I'm sure the former black isle staff will back that one up.

GS: Fallout is one of the most beloved franchises of all time--are you worried about meeting gamers' high expectations?

TH: I worry about meeting our own expectations. We take this stuff as serious as anyone and are more critical of what we do than the fans. We're very careful in how we handle franchises. I think people can look at how we've treated the Elder Scrolls and know that we'll give the same care to Fallout. We pride ourselves in keeping franchises relevant and bringing something fresh to the market with each game. That being said, I'm sure there's a vocal minority that wants to kill us for even attempting to do it--but they wanted to kill Peter Jackson too, so you have to ignore that and just do something great that you'd love to play.

See... no. No one is more critical than a rabid fan.
Professional critics don't have anything approaching the depth of feeling inherent in the rabid fan's fingernail clippings. Its an obsession and a hysteria.

GS: Bethesda's license agreement is for PCs, consoles, handhelds, and other media. Which platform will Fallout 3 arrive on first?

TH: Way too early to say. We always like to hit as many as possible at the same time, but that's not always possible

Handhelds! :lol:

I enjoy how many of these empty interviews are aimed at getting the rabid fans to shut the hell up. But it just encourages more hysteria. Out of sight out of mind is the way to go. Bring it up when there are screenshots or demo clips to back up the empty words.

plin

Liturgist
It's not like they are going out of their way to contact these gaming sites about a game they don't even want to talk about right now. Gamespot and the like just have a little hard-on from the announcement.

And he said fans, not some stupid rabid fans. If they are fans themselves, AND the developers, I do believe they would care more. But of cource... let's take what they say and try to make them look bad. Please continue.

Briosafreak

Augur
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/13 ... 02442.html

An interview by Tom Howard. It has many interesting points that deserve to be discussed, but there`s one in particular that i found most unfortunate:

That being said, I'm sure there's a vocal minority that wants to kill us for even attempting to do it--but they wanted to kill Peter Jackson too, so you have to ignore that and just do something great that you'd love to play.

I`ve heard this from Interplay over and over. Typical Interplay talk, i almost threw up when i read this part. For those that don`t know what he`s trying to do just watch the first part of "Full Metal Jacket". Or read the interviews about FOBOS. It`s a low blow, i`m not happy. Don`t try to corner the Fallout fans when things are getting a bit more quiet and people are discussing in a more thoughtfull way. That was Herve and Molitor mistake, i thought you were better than that.

I`m sad that i was wrong. A really low blow, this is shaping up to be the seminal point where i loose any hope. Thanks for clearing things up, if you`re no better than the Interplay management people i might as well give up on this.

I posted this on their forum, not that will make any diference.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Re: GameSpot brings another FO3 Q&A

Spazmo said:
Todd Howard: To early to say, we're looking at many options

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks, I needed that

plin

Liturgist
Briosafreak said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/07/13/news_6102442.html

An interview by Tom Howard. It has many interesting points that deserve to be discussed, but there`s one in particular that i found most unfortunate:

That being said, I'm sure there's a vocal minority that wants to kill us for even attempting to do it--but they wanted to kill Peter Jackson too, so you have to ignore that and just do something great that you'd love to play.

I`ve heard this from Interplay over and over. Typical Interplay talk, i almost threw up when i read this part. For those that don`t know what he`s trying to do just watch the first part of "Full Metal Jacket". Or read the interviews about FOBOS. It`s a low blow, i`m not happy. Don`t try to corner the Fallout fans when things are getting a bit more quiet and people are discussing in a more thoughtfull way. That was Herve and Molitor mistake, i thought you were better than that.

I`m sad that i was wrong. A really low blow, this is shaping up to be the seminal point where i loose any hope. Thanks for clearing things up, if you`re no better than the Interplay management people i might as well give up on this.

I posted this on their forum, not that will make any diference.

You win some, you lose some, but life goes on. Why'd you almost throw up? I've read the FOBOS interviews, but I'm not going to go rent full metal jacket again.

edit: I know chucky prolly said that some fans will want to kill him for making a shitty game like POS, but, do you really think Beth will mess up this bad? You honestly think this developer is that stupid? I guess I'm optimistic, or just am compared to you, but I doubt this very much. I don't think they're going to butcher the game as much as most of you think.

Instead of taking these shit interviews to heart, why not just wait until something concrete comes out? Better than jumping to conclusions off of something like this, but then again, that's just me. So do whatever you want my good man.

Voss

Erudite
plin said:
It's not like they are going out of their way to contact these gaming sites about a game they don't even want to talk about right now. Gamespot and the like just have a little hard-on from the announcement.

And he said fans, not some stupid rabid fans. If they are fans themselves, AND the developers, I do believe they would care more. But of cource... let's take what they say and try to make them look bad. Please continue.

Critcal. != Caring.

And, having observed several varieties of fandom over the years, the people working on it rarely care *more* than the fans. Some care *as much*, but for most, at the end of the day, its just their job. Fans can be far more disturbing and obsessive.

But of course, continue to be overly defensive about anything *anyone* says. No matter what they are actually saying.

plin

Liturgist
Meh, just playing the devil's advocate. Anyways, what does != mean? I've always wondered when people used that.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"do you really think Beth will mess up this bad?"

Yes. Absolutely yes. I point to the crapiness of every single other crappy Bethesda game. In 20 years of existence, they have yet to make ONE game I enjoy. Not one other devloper has such a shitty record. Not one.

corvax

Augur
even though this interview is not as informative as many would hope one can see glimpses of fallout 3 NOT being mw with guns...

@ Briosafreak
nothing concrete has yet been said or done...this interview is more good than bad news...low blows?...there's some truth in what howard said...many here tend to only consider the worst of the situation...a little optimism would help

maybe it's just me but at this point all this fuss doesn't seem like a really big deal...if this stuff was happening in 1999 or 2000 then maybe i would get upset...now i got other things to worry about

corvax

Augur
Volourn said:
"do you really think Beth will mess up this bad?"

Yes. Absolutely yes. I point to the crapiness of every single other crappy Bethesda game. In 20 years of existence, they have yet to make ONE game I enjoy. Not one other devloper has such a shitty record. Not one.

that's only your own insignificant opinion...many others including myself enjoyed their games...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"that's only your own insignificant opinion"

No shit sherlock. Want a medal for the ingenius deduction?

"...many others including myself enjoyed their games..."

Good for you. Your enjoyment of Bethseda's games while allw ella nd good doens't exactly make me view this predicament any more favorably though. LOL

corvax

Augur
Araanor said:
hussar said:
.many here tend to only consider the worst of the situation...
They haven't exactly given us reasons to do otherwise.

they haven't gave anything yet...positive or negative...all specualtion...and even that is taken as a negative...all we know is that bethesda is one of the few companies that still has plenty of faith in single player rpg's (they despise mmorpg)...

corvax

Augur
Volourn said:

Good for you. Your enjoyment of Bethseda's games while allw ella nd good doens't exactly make me view this predicament any more favorably though. LOL

you're a sad case...bitchin' and whining...oh oh it's the end of the world...bethesda is making fallout...i didn't like their other games and only my opinion matters...get a fucking grip dude

plin

Liturgist
Araanor said:
hussar said:
.many here tend to only consider the worst of the situation...
They haven't exactly given us reasons to do otherwise.

They shouldn't have to anyways. They only announced that they got the liscence and they will make sequels. It's the online media who've been on their ass about it when they don't want to talk about it. Heh, wait a few months until they actually get something DESIGNED you know?

I hope everyone keeps their voices heard though, especially in the beth forums for what they want, or do something even more productive and have alot of people from the community who know what they're talking about mail the developers (not email) . I don't see much of a reason for all this pessimism. Like Brios saying "I almost puked", I couldn't decide if I should feel bad for the poor guy or laugh my ass off.

I just think it's a waste of disposition and probably even health to be so pessimistic with no concrete info. But I guess from another view some people might think of my neutral "wait and excpect any outcome" view on the situation a waste of time. But oh well. Everyone is entitled to whatever they want to do.

and to the poster I quoted, I'm not directing this at you. Just anyone who it makes sense to, or relates to.

edit: And if anyone plans to be vocal about your opinions and wants on the game, I strongly reccomend telling the designers/developers to read the fallout bible. I'm just reading it now for the first time. :)

corvax

Augur
Sarkile said:
hussar said:
(they despise mmorpg)...

:lol: So why did they make an offline version of one?

you talking about battlespire...that was ONE BIG MISTAKE...
anyway on mw forums there was always talk about how cool it would be if morrowind was a mmorpg or had some other on-line mode of play...this idea was always cruely shut down by many at bethesda (t.howard and others in charge) saying that mmorpg are just a phase, single player is the most important aspect, they would never ever make or even consider morrowind online, etc... i guess that would also be relevant to their other games...that's why they let interplay have their FOOL...they don't care about that stuff

plin

Liturgist
hussar said:
Volourn said:

you're a sad case...bitchin' and whining...oh oh it's the end of the world...bethesda is making fallout...i didn't like their other games and only my opinion matters...get a fucking grip dude

He's not bitching and whining. He's just stating that he probably won't like the game since he hasn't liked any of their other games.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"...oh oh it's the end of the world"

Huh? I never said that. The world will be fine. Bethseda doesn't have that power. just the power to ruin FO3 with their crappiness. Please don't over inflate your love's power, please.

"you're a sad case"

Maybe; but not as sad as you worrying about my significant opinion. LOL

edit: The more I read plin's posts the more he becomes cool in my eyes - not that he cares about that. Heh. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom