Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Deus Ex: Human Revolution Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>If watching trailers isn't enough, here's an <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-13-deus-ex-interview" target="_blank">interview with lead designer Jean-François Dugas</a> at Eurogamer.</p>
<blockquote>
<p class="interviewQuestion"><strong><span class="whoistalking">Eurogamer</span>: How will Deus Ex emotionally engage players on an adult and intelligent level?</strong></p>
<p class="interviewAnswer"><span class="whoistalking">Jean-François Dugas</span>: It's not out yet so I cannot say it does it. I can only say what we're trying to do.</p>
<p>At first, internally, when we were brainstorming and going around with ideas of player choices, sometimes we had heated debates.</p>
<p>'If we don't give a big reward to the player for this then this choice is meaningless.' We were debating that. I was like, no, it's not meaningless.</p>
<p>If we talk about something on a human level that something as a player, as a human being, you can relate to, you probably had that experience in the past or you know someone, you understand the emotional aspect of the choice.</p>
<p>Hopefully that is going to help the player focus on choosing because of that, as opposed to, oh, it's going to give me this or that.</p>
<p>Sometimes we have choices where it gives you something, and if you choose something else it gives you something different. What is good is normally something the player decides.</p>
<p>But we're trying to stay away as much as possible from that.</p>
<p>In the end, do we succeed? Is it going to work the way I explain it to you? I have no idea.</p>
<p>The feedback we received with play tests, we received comments that people were experiencing certain interactions with a character. They said, 'I want to kill him.'</p>
<p>It was the reflection that this person was emotionally engaged with that character. If you want to kill him, he was pissing you off or annoying you.</p>
<p>In the end we'll see when the game ships.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Emotional Engagement. Deus Ex: Human Revolution has it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99195-deus-ex-human-revolution-interview.html">GB</a></p>

PandaBreeder

Educated
VentilatorOfDoom said:
'If we don't give a big reward to the player for this then this choice is meaningless.' We were debating that. I was like, no, it's not meaningless.If we talk about something on a human level that something as a player, as a human being, you can relate to, you probably had that experience in the past or you know someone, you understand the emotional aspect of the choice. Hopefully that is going to help the player focus on choosing because of that, as opposed to, oh, it's going to give me this or that.

So, choices won't have any gameplay impact? That's nice.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
PandaBreeder said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
'If we don't give a big reward to the player for this then this choice is meaningless.' We were debating that. I was like, no, it's not meaningless.If we talk about something on a human level that something as a player, as a human being, you can relate to, you probably had that experience in the past or you know someone, you understand the emotional aspect of the choice. Hopefully that is going to help the player focus on choosing because of that, as opposed to, oh, it's going to give me this or that.

Sometimes we have choices where it gives you something, and if you choose something else it gives you something different. What is good is normally something the player decides.

Let's give this guy a break. At least he seems honest and doesn't try to hype his game with the usual bullshit.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
They said, 'I want to kill him.'

It was the reflection that this person was emotionally engaged with that character. If you want to kill him, he was pissing you off or annoying you.

Or he had some good loot.

PandaBreeder

Educated
ghostdog said:
PandaBreeder said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

Sometimes we have choices where it gives you something, and if you choose something else it gives you something different. What is good is normally something the player decides.

Let's give this guy a break. At least he seems honest and doesn't try to hype his game with the usual bullshit.

It just sounds like an euphemism for "Consequences will consist of one guy either smiling or frowning in one cutscene" and the whole emotional impact thing sounds like something out of the buzzword filled press statements devs like to give. But you're right, this guys seem to at least want to make a good game, for all that's worth.

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The only thing for me that's important is I want us to be able to adapt the enemies a bit with the hit points to be on PC more challenging.

With the mouse you're way more precise than with the controller. It's not the same experience, exactly. I want to make sure the PC version is tailored to the fact you play with a mouse, and it doesn't feel like it's dumbed down.
That sounds good at least. Hope they do this well.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
"Are the emotions lined up?"
"Yes sir!"
"Okay. Then..........."

Picard_Engage02.jpg

ENGAGE!

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If only. I doubt i will give a shit about the game what with the mandatory kills the inconsistent setting, retarded cinematic "gameplay" - in a shooter - and the adolescent rule of cool the game already exhibits - retractable sunglasses for example.

Beyond the fact i will not buy or not lift it from inventory it of course.

PandaBreeder said:
ghostdog said:
PandaBreeder said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:

It just sounds like an euphemism for "Consequences will consist of one guy either smiling or frowning in one cutscene" and the whole emotional impact thing sounds like something out of the buzzword filled press statements devs like to give. But you're right, this guys seem to at least want to make a good game, for all that's worth.

Which is basically what you get in Deus Ex 1. At most you get different guys giving the same dialogue (X51 scientist vs Paul) or an extra few lines of dialogue.

Duckard

Augur
Rohit_N said:
The only thing for me that's important is I want us to be able to adapt the enemies a bit with the hit points to be on PC more challenging.

With the mouse you're way more precise than with the controller. It's not the same experience, exactly. I want to make sure the PC version is tailored to the fact you play with a mouse, and it doesn't feel like it's dumbed down.
That sounds good at least. Hope they do this well.

Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding here, but isn't he saying "enemies on PC version have more hitpoints to make up for the mouse+keyboard advantage"?

Rohit_N

Prophet
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Possibly. Hopefully it just means the console versions are easier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom