Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Deus Ex: Human Revolution Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Deus Ex: Human Revolution; Eidos Montreal

<p>MEGamers <a href="http://tbreak.com/megamers/11914/features/deus-ex-human-revolution-interview-game-director-jean-francois-dugas.html" target="_blank">caught up</a> with Deus Ex: Human Revolution lead designer Jean-Francois Dugas.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Human revolution deals with transhumanism, ‘human enhancement’ – could you tell us about the biomechanical augmentations we have seen in the trailers, and how they will play into the gameplay?</strong></p>
<p>The augmentation system allows players to tackle any challenge the way they want to. You want to be stealthy about it, we have augmentations that will help you with that. You want to play full on combat, we have augmentations that will help you with that. Basically, augmentations in the game are classified according to our 4 pillars of gameplay:</p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Combat</strong> augmentations will allow you to be a more dangerous opponent — that is, to  perform lethal melee attacks.</li>
<li><strong>Stealth</strong> augmentations will allow you to become a “stealth master”  — for example, by getting a clearer sense of the enemy patrols and their lines of sight.</li>
<li><strong>Hacking</strong> augmentations will allow you to access more difficult devices that in turn, open up more post-hacking possibilities — for example, turret domination.</li>
<li><strong>Social</strong> augmentations will allow you to get a better sense of the direction in which your interactions with people are heading (are you convincing them to be on your side, for example, or not?) and then adjust to these results more easily.</li>
</ul>
</blockquote>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99404-deus-ex-human-revolution-interview.html">GB</a></p>

zeitgeist

Magister
I don't like this "4 pillars" thing one bit - it just sounds like the gameworld is very obviously designed for different playstyles. You know, the "take the left path if you're the stealth dude, take the right path if you're the combat dude" choices that don't really have much meaning to them at all. Similar to the black and white BRPG morality system (obvious conversation options that are either green, yellow or red so to speak). Too much themepark, not enough simulation qualities.

SoupNazi

zeitgeist said:
I don't like this "4 pillars" thing one bit - it just sounds like the gameworld is very obviously designed for different playstyles.

It does sound like that, but in the gameplay video, it seemed like the paths are entwined together; in the warehouse level, you could stealth your way past the crates and the guards around (as the video showed to a certain extent) or shoot your way through (at one point, the video presenter abandoned stealth and shot the guards) and in the city level, when Adam sneaks into the office of whoever, you could see that in the same corridor you could shoot the guard and go through the corridor, or sneak past him / knock him out and crawl into a ventilator shaft. The question is whether they really had this mindset when creating all levels or if it was just a coincidence.

tunguska

Liturgist
It's lucky for them that Crytek didn't patent the nanosuit. I am liking what I am hearing about this game, but based on how many times I have been burnt in the past I think something less than cautious optimism is warranted. I love their open admission that they are being influenced by Blade Runner A Blade Runner inspired game sounds great on paper and the E3 trailer even makes it seem believable. But the budget is going to be too huge not to go with an embrace and extend philosophy. Dumbed down games sell more. And the more dumbed down they are the more they will sell. You can never lose money by underestimating the intelligence of the general public.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
zeitgeist said:
I don't like this "4 pillars" thing one bit

Stick to LARPing then.

Even Fallout is too consoletard for rpgcodex nowadays. :smug:

zeitgeist

Magister
SoupNazi said:
zeitgeist said:
I don't like this "4 pillars" thing one bit - it just sounds like the gameworld is very obviously designed for different playstyles.

It does sound like that, but in the gameplay video, it seemed like the paths are entwined together; in the warehouse level, you could stealth your way past the crates and the guards around (as the video showed to a certain extent) or shoot your way through (at one point, the video presenter abandoned stealth and shot the guards) and in the city level, when Adam sneaks into the office of whoever, you could see that in the same corridor you could shoot the guard and go through the corridor, or sneak past him / knock him out and crawl into a ventilator shaft. The question is whether they really had this mindset when creating all levels or if it was just a coincidence.
Well it is a promo video, common sense says they tried to showcase the "pillars" the best that they could (then again, looking at those new XCOM videos...) And you know how people often repeat that "first level of Deus Ex offers incredible freedom, and then the more you go towards the end of the game the less options there are" thing? Even if the statement is somewhat untrue and simplified when it comes to DX, it is what most commonly happens with such games. Designing very specific paths for each playstyle in each level is actually a way to get around that, but at the expense of the gameworld feeling much less organic and more "gamey".

SoupNazi

Apparently they clarified something mentioned earlier (not sure if it's this interview) that "on PC, enemies will have more hitpoints" - it wasn't meant as if they had more health, but more reaction points i.e. the enemies should react differently based on where you shoot them (which isn't being done on consoles because you can't aim so precisely). Got this from Tiscali Games.

zeitgeist

Magister
SoupNazi said:
Apparently they clarified something mentioned earlier (not sure if it's this interview) that "on PC, enemies will have more hitpoints" - it wasn't meant as if they had more health, but more reaction points i.e. the enemies should react differently based on where you shoot them (which isn't being done on consoles because you can't aim so precisely). Got this from Tiscali Games.
So AI that reacts to locational damage? Speaking of, is DX:HR even supposed to have locational damage or is it a hitpoint blob game? I don't remember seeing it on any of the feature lists. Either way I don't see why it wouldn't work on consoles, some console shooters (mostly multiplayer-oriented) still have locational damage, it hasn't been completely lost to the blob model yet.

paperdoll.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom