Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fable III Info Package

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fable 2; Lionhead Studios; Peter Molyneux

<p>There's some GamesCom-based Molyneux goodness to be had.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>We start out with this <a href="http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6119-Gamescom-2010--Fable-III-Hands-On-Preview---Combat--Cleese---Combo-Gauntlets.html" target="_blank">snip of a preview</a> over at Xbox360Achievements:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The real change in the combat demo revolved around the new spell system that allowed you to equip two different spell gauntlets and combine their powers together for a devastating attack, so for instance, combining a force push with the fire ball spell. According to the Lionhead rep on hand, these gauntlets are all mix and match and it should be possible to combine any two spells as you see fit.<br /><br />We already touched upon &ldquo;The Sanctuary&rdquo; in our E3 preview - an in-game hub that replaces Fable II&rsquo;s clunky menu system - but this time we were hands-on and got to check it out in a bit more detail. The Sanctuary plays home to your in-game butler, the legendary John Cleese, who will offer helpful hints and sharp witticisms along the way. Whilst in our hub, we got chance to check out the new clothing dyeing option which offered hundreds more different colours and combinations than the 2008 version did, as well as the new 3D map, which not only allowed you to manage your properties, but also allowed you to see the area&rsquo;s available missions and so on.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>... after which <a href="http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-6125-Gamescom-2010--Fable-III-Interview---Peter-Molyneux-Weighs-In-On-The-Kinect-Debate--Talks-Fable-III.html" target="_blank">we hand over the word</a> to Ol' Pete himself, who just seemed to have finished his valium nap:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Fable III picks up 50 years after Fable II, so what impact will that shift in time have on the gameplay?</strong><br /><br />Let's talk about that and let's talk about the story in Fable 1, because that was a problem, that was a rubbish thing in Fable 1 and Fable 2. Let's be honest about it. The gameplay was gimmicky, it wasn't connected to the story,&nbsp; marrying people didn't really have an effect, going and farting in people's faces was funny, but it was a gimmick. There was a whole collection of unconnected toys, so we really thought about that in Fable III, that's the first thing. The second thing is feeding things into the drama and story and then the third thing is deciding on the pace of the game. But we're going to go to the levelling-up stuff, so we've tackled all of this in one neat package.</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>One of the problems with Fable 1 and Fable 2, was we gave you a big bag of stuff and we just gave it to you. We kind of puked these game features on you and then just let you choose whether you do them or not, it was up to you. You had no control over when you got something or when didn't get something, and people forgot about it. So, now we've invented something called 'gameplay chests'. In each level and between each gate there is a chest and in each chest, there is a piece of gameplay, an entire gameplay mechanic. For example, in here is the 'friends expression' pack. If you want to play the 'friends' game, which gives you the ability to go and make friends with people - once you become friends with people, they become your followers and anybody in the world of Albion can give you quests &ndash; then unlock that box. If you want to play the 'simulation' game &ndash; buying and selling houses, running a business &ndash; then open the landlord box. If you hate all that stuff and you just want fighting and combat, then you can open the red chests, which are all about combat, spells and special moves. That means the game flow, the levelling-up, the story, what the game of Fable is, is all integrated into this one system. God knows how you're going to review it, I don't know.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/99436-fable-iii-preview-and-interview.html">GB</a></p>

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Let's talk about that and let's talk about the story in Fable 1, because that was a problem, that was a rubbish thing in Fable 1 and Fable 2. Let's be honest about it. The gameplay was gimmicky, it wasn't connected to the story, marrying people didn't really have an effect, going and farting in people's faces was funny, but it was a gimmick. There was a whole collection of unconnected toys, so we really thought about that in Fable III, that's the first thing.

... Huh.

SoupNazi

So farting in people's faces will be now tied into the story?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
So, now we've invented something called 'gameplay chests'. In each level and between each gate there is a chest and in each chest, there is a piece of gameplay, an entire gameplay mechanic. For example, in here is the 'friends expression' pack. If you want to play the 'friends' game, which gives you the ability to go and make friends with people - once you become friends with people, they become your followers and anybody in the world of Albion can give you quests – then unlock that box. If you want to play the 'simulation' game – buying and selling houses, running a business – then open the landlord box. If you hate all that stuff and you just want fighting and combat, then you can open the red chests, which are all about combat, spells and special moves. That means the game flow, the levelling-up, the story, what the game of Fable is, is all integrated into this one system. God knows how you're going to review it, I don't know.
:retarded: what is this i don't even

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
1) Is Pete on pills?

2) How the fuck can you get away with retarded shit like that?

tunguska

Liturgist
Peter Molyneux said:
I think we as human beings always make promises either to our boss, to ourselves or to our partners and I mean, I always over-promise. I think that's what I do in the press a lot. I over-promise and under-deliver, and I'm sure my boss at Microsoft would say that, definitely. But I'm passionate and autistically, I believe in my promises, but I've never once lied to you, I've always told the truth, because everything I say, I passionately believe in.

Remarkable. Has he ever admitted this before? This is the first time I have heard it. It's an amazing admission really. Of course it's what lots of people think about him anyway.

I've never heard any dev trash a previous title as badly as he is doing in this interview. He's very passionate about how bad it was. He clarifies his position near the end of this surprising interview. The game will probably suck, but at least Molyneux will be willing to admit that it sucks. That's definitely worth something.

The gameplay sounds unusual. It looks like he tried to combine some of the RTS elements from Black and White into a console RPG. I wish he would get rid of those stupid chests. Ugh. He's making them even more important.

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
Well, it all makes me pretty curious how Pete will critize Fable 3 when he hypes Fable 4.

So that's what happens when a man desperately wants to show off his unique and creative way of thinking to others. :retarded:
Either that, or Pete lost his meds.

Fat Dragon said:
So, now we've invented something called 'gameplay chests'. In each level and between each gate there is a chest and in each chest, there is a piece of gameplay, an entire gameplay mechanic. For example, in here is the 'friends expression' pack. If you want to play the 'friends' game, which gives you the ability to go and make friends with people - once you become friends with people, they become your followers and anybody in the world of Albion can give you quests – then unlock that box. If you want to play the 'simulation' game – buying and selling houses, running a business – then open the landlord box. If you hate all that stuff and you just want fighting and combat, then you can open the red chests, which are all about combat, spells and special moves. That means the game flow, the levelling-up, the story, what the game of Fable is, is all integrated into this one system. God knows how you're going to review it, I don't know.

I'm kinda stumped, too. It's...like every time he looks at a his last Fable title, he says to himself, "No, still too complicated, some might not get it", and then starts figuring out ways to rip it all out.

The Hero lineage must have started doing some serious inbreeding after Fable 1. His desecendant in 2 didn't have half the options and his magic spells were neutered, and this new guy has to rely on fucking gauntlets just to use magic at all.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
tunguska said:
Remarkable. Has he ever admitted this before?

Yes. He'll be saying the same shit after Fable 3 has shipped and he's working on Fable 4, mark my word. He always bashes the previous Fable.

I was going to ask "Why post Fable as RPG news" or some snide comment to that effect, but Molyneaux is so crazy that it's actually fun to read his shit, so carry on.

Aikanaro

Liturgist
That sounds like the most assbackwards solution to gameplay features being disconnected from the story ever. Does it even address the problem?

denizsi

Arcane
I think he's just immensely nostalgic about some of the late 80s games where you'd get game in a game in a game and wants to recreate that kind of thing. Lazy Joe and Impossible Mission series comes to mind. Addictive and fun. Pity him.

dumuh

Educated
SoupNazi said:
So farting in people's faces will be now tied into the story?

2nol7q.jpg

Suspect it will be something like this.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fat Dragon said:

What the fuck is this? I mean why need to 'unlock' gameplay elements? Why not JUST NOT USE THE ONES YOU DON'T WANT? Can the demographic for games these days be so fucked in the head that they get confused by having even the most basic variety of things to do and need special help from the developers so they don't turn into blubbering epileptics at the sight of more than one gameplay mechanic at the same time?

Unwanted

RaXz

Unwanted
One of the reasons why option menu's are growing smaller each time, new gamers just don't like options.

gothfox

Liturgist
What the fuck is this? I mean why need to 'unlock' gameplay elements?

The real question is why aren't those chests paid DLC. They are half way there anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom