Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Fallout: New Vegas Preview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p>DigitalSpy put up a <a href="http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a271911/preview-fallout-new-vegas.html" target="_blank">New Vegas preview</a> featuring a bit of Josh Sawyer commentary.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Speaking to <strong>DS</strong>, project director Josh Sawyer explained the rationale behind the Vegas setting. "We moved the action to Vegas because we wanted a setting that was close to the West Coast, as that is a setting we have become familiar with in the previous games in the series. We also wanted something that was starkly different from Washington DC," he explained. "In the United States, a lot of people think of Washington as the cornerstone of our country, a city of American virtue. Whereas, Las Vegas is a city of American vice, that continually reinvents itself, destroys itself, rebuilds itself. Because it's a city of vice, we thought that contrast was good, and also the visuals are much different to set it apart."</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>There's more of an emphasis on basic first-person shooter mechanics this time around, and although the VATS system from the previous game makes a comeback, we felt less inclined to use it at every turn. Anyone familiar with <em>Fallout 3</em> will need no introduction to the fundamentals, but Sawyer assured us that some tweaks have been applied here and there. The director explained that melee and unarmed combat will have "some new functionality" and will be more tactics-based. VATs itself will be extra challenging to wield, as additional special attacks have been incorporated and accuracy will be dependent on more variables than before.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15712">RPGWatch</a></p>

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Developing a title that resembles its forebear in so many ways does seems like something of a risk

yeah, just look how badly COD:MW2 flopped ....

seriously, i m no OE fanboy (not after SOZ) but seeing how all the FO:NV previews criticise "dated graphics, more of the same" i cant help but facepalm.

FO3s dated graphics were already dated when it came out and the graphics reference of back then (crysis) is STILL the graphics reference of now (crysis) and will likely remain the graphics reference until the next generation of consoles comes out..... so how can FO3s graphic have "aged badly" when absolutely zero progress was made in those years ?

and when it comes to the "more of the same" part ... yep, this generation there s nothing gamers value more than innovation & variety - i mean its not like roughly 80% of triple AAA titles are corridor shooters where gameplay is more or less identic and the only differences are story & setting, no, no. :roll:

All these reviewers give a fuck about is graphics mainly. They didn't seem to mention Mass Effect 2 looking dated with its jaggies all over the god damn place though cause they're on Bioware dick.

1eyedking

Erudite
Oscar once asked me what I thought about Fallout: New Vegas.

I believe answered "I think Fallout 3: New Vegas".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Big Nick Digger said:
All these reviewers give a fuck about is graphics mainly. They didn't seem to mention Mass Effect 2 looking dated with its jaggies all over the god damn place though cause they're on Bioware dick.

Actually ME2 and DA:O's graphics were the only thing reviewers complained about except for the difficulty in DA:O.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"In the United States, a lot of people think of Washington as the cornerstone of our country, a city of American virtue.

I loled heartily.

My expectations for this game's storyline just burned a hole in the floor.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
When is this fucker meant to come out? It's just one preview after another! With DA:O the last big pseudo RPG out the Codex is really stagnating with nothing new to rage about!

bonescraper

commie said:
When is this fucker meant to come out? It's just one preview after another! With DA:O the last big pseudo RPG out the Codex is really stagnating with nothing new to rage about!
Oooh, you're so edgy! I'm actually hyped for this game. And i know it's illogical, it propably may turn out to be the worst (best?) of Bethesda and Obsidian combined. But so far, from what i've seen and read, F:NV looks promissing (ok i'm also a whore for any FO and FO2 references). I trust my intuition :lol: After all, Alpha Protocol looked like it's going to suck from the first preview (although it had some interesting characters and decent writing). I guess it's the only game im waiting for this year.

deuxhero

Arcane
commie said:

And we STILL don't have the system requirements.

Achilles

Arcane
It's probably the same as Fallout 3, it is the same engine after all.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This is Obsidian we're talking about, they'll find some way to make it run like shit.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Will there be some kind of president in New Vegas ready for slaughtering? That is my favorite part in previous fallout games (ex. the 1st, obviously).

zeitgeist

Magister
Irxy said:
Will there be some kind of president in New Vegas ready for slaughtering? That is my favorite part in previous fallout games (ex. the 1st, obviously).
prezcamcho.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom