Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Titan Quest and the Miracle of Creation

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Iron Lore; Titan Quest

<p>John Walker handed in a <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/titan-quest-retrospective?page=1" target="_blank">Titan Quest retrospective</a> to Eurogamer, with the bulk of the article's two pages going to the level editor.</p>
<blockquote>It was Creation. The order of this level coming into existence matched that of many creation myths from many religions, not least the Genesis account of the creation of the world in seven periods. For years we've used the expression "God Game" to describe a genre of management sims, but this was the true God Game. It was being a creator god to a land in which you would then play.</blockquote>
<p><br />He then brought up Andr&eacute; Bazin's "The Ontology of the Photographic Image" and I stopped reading. Had to get out before he whipped out some Joseph Campbell quotes.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.eurogamer.net/">Eurogamer</a></p>

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
What is it with these retrospectives of 4 year old games?

So the first games of the NEXTGEN consoles are retro AND nextgen or what?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tried playing Titan Quest coop, the feel was horrible, the interface was clunky, everything was super generic, erased it after 15 mins.

Stupid Steam deals.

DriacKin

Arbiter
So, what is the Codex opinion on this? Is it shit or a worthwhile Diablo-clone? Also, how well developed is the coop/multiplayer?

Fens

Ford of the Llies
DriacKin said:
So, what is the Codex opinion on this? Is it shit or a worthwhile Diablo-clone? Also, how well developed is the coop/multiplayer?
pretty easy apart from the last bossfight... looks better than diablo 2 but doesn't have as much item-hoard-appeal... worth a playthrough but not more

didn't try multiplayer because i lack ocd

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
There are games, and there are keyboard pollers with frequent screen and audio updates. They resemble a game from a distance, as they mimic the behavior of one in a borderline acceptable fashion.

When I run Diablo, I click and see a paladin hacking at a skeleton with a sword, and said skeleton falls apart in a mess of bones. One less evil skeleton in this world! Rejoice, Player, for you are slaying evil!

When I run Titan Quest, I see someone's code acknowledge my control request in a loose fashion and trigger a "sword swing" animation which may or may not be connected to the animation of "skeleton death" that follows. Now the entity count has decreased by 1. Rejoice, user, for there are 37 more entities for you to purge from the list.

kazgar

Arcane
I'm playing through it on and off at the moment, (probably similar steam sale) after a good start there was what felt like a long middle section where my char wasn't that exciting, but after some more levelling up/new lewt its reached a point where i'm enjoying the running around and killing things.

plot's rather railroaded, I expect to finish through this playthrough, but i don't think i'll come back to it all that often.

Don't mind the look and reckon the design and the game engines pretty good. Curious to see if the victorian era version done by the remnants of iron lore fix some of the issues this one had.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
DriacKin said:
It has one big advantage - character development. There are many classes, the skills are interesting, you can create pretty different builds within the same class and there is multiclassing that gives further, nice combos. All in all, this part is imo best done among all other h'n's.

It also has pretty nice graphics.

Apart from that it's a rather generic h'n's that will get boring quickly.

spectre

Arcane
Low replayability is a problem in this one. Not only are all the areas identical on a second playthrough, you still get the same boring enemies.
Yeah, enemy variety was rather poor as well.

Character building is decent, however the balance seemed skewed in favor of ranged builds IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom