Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Age of Decadence Receives Some Polishing

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower

<p><em>Right now we are working on making everything as "final" as possible.</em></p>
<p><a href="http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php/topic,1672.msg54807.html#msg54807" target="_blank">Let Oscar show you some examples:</a></p>
<blockquote>
<p>So, here is the old loremaster vignette (click the spoiler):</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>As you can see, it's a extremely linear sequence, and that it has a couple of interesting opportunities to use skill checks. Here it doesn't matter if you make a loremaster with 4 intelligence and 4 charisma, and with all skill points in combat skills. You will still get the lore dialogue and will easily convince him to give you the money. So we re-worked it, added a lore and a persuasion check, and different reactions from the trader and Feng depending on your success (please forgive the formatting):</p>
<p>...</p>
<p>Basically, now the vignette has 4 outcomes which rewards proper investment in skills that are tied to your background, which makes your character actually demonstrate his knowledge and persuasion, instead of just watching a sequence that ignores the character skills. This is particularly cool in the grifter's vignette, where your character can fail conning the merchant if your skills are not up to par. Also, apart from the design, the writing and mood is improved.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>See? As Thursday approaches they keep on improving up to the last minute. I'd consider it nifty if they'd make the engine/camera feel less clunky too.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#15785">RPGWatch</a></p>

Rhalle

Magister
I am now waiting anxiously for Witcher 2 news so that we can have three successive stories on the front page with effectively the same headline.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Derper said:
Grunker said:
Sounds so good :(
Why sad? Because it will never be?

Because, listen:

Whenever some interview with a DA2 dev or something comes out, we laugh our asses off because of the hype and the buzzwords. "Bahaha!" we go at the "innovashun" and the "visceral combat." Well, those words work because they target a specific audience, who likes visceral combat and big-breasted aliens.

Now, if you wanted to hype the Codex-crowd, isn't something like this:

ITS said:
Basically, now the vignette has 4 outcomes which rewards proper investment in skills that are tied to your background, which makes your character actually demonstrate his knowledge and persuasion, instead of just watching a sequence that ignores the character skills. This is particularly cool in the grifter's vignette, where your character can fail conning the merchant if your skills are not up to par. Also, apart from the design, the writing and mood is improved.

exactly what you'd say?

Point is: I'm afraid whether they'll actually deliver a consistent experience with enough of the above. And of course, whether the game will ever see the light of day.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
So does this mean we are actually closer to release?

Derper

Prophet
Grunker said:
Derper said:
Grunker said:
Sounds so good :(
Why sad? Because it will never be?

Because, listen:

Whenever some interview with a DA2 dev or something comes out, we laugh our asses off because of the hype and the buzzwords. "Bahaha!" we go at the "innovashun" and the "visceral combat." Well, those words work because they target a specific audience, who likes visceral combat and big-breasted aliens.

Now, if you wanted to hype the Codex-crowd, isn't something like this:

ITS said:
Basically, now the vignette has 4 outcomes which rewards proper investment in skills that are tied to your background, which makes your character actually demonstrate his knowledge and persuasion, instead of just watching a sequence that ignores the character skills. This is particularly cool in the grifter's vignette, where your character can fail conning the merchant if your skills are not up to par. Also, apart from the design, the writing and mood is improved.

exactly what you'd say?

Point is: I'm afraid whether they'll actually deliver a consistent experience with enough of the above. And of course, whether the game will ever see the light of day.
I think it will be good, not just for what it is, but in a objective, overall, worldtranscending sort of way. Best since Arcanum!

Derper

Prophet
If the serene and lowpitched voices from ITS are lying scum like the CAPSLOCK hypemachines from the big studios, sure, there will be much weeping and butthurt on the 'dex. If the manage to implement meaningful skillchecks, the replayability they've been talking about and a good atmosphere and story (fingers crossed), it will surely be a modern classic. In the honorable minds of the codexians, at least. Hope is up, shield is down...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I don't know. I got a bad feeling about this Fox!

Maybe the Codex is just gettin' to me.

Derper

Prophet
Grunker said:
I don't know. I got a bad feeling about this Fox!

Maybe the Codex is just gettin' to me.
I've taken a few hits, but I'm still optimistic

denizsi

Arcane
Have they said anything about DLCs yet? All respectables games come with DLCs nowadays. If AOD doesn't have any, it will be shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom