Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Matt Chat does Darklands

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Darklands; Microprose

<p><a href="http://www.armchairarcade.com/neo/node/3481" target="_blank">This week's Matt Chat</a> has Matt Barton talking up Microprose's <a href="http://www.mobygames.com/game/darklands" target="_blank"><strong>Darklands</strong></a>. Unfortunately, it offers little insight into why an RPG set in the 15th Century would be named after a <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9sCTtZ9EA&amp;ob=av2e" target="_blank">Jesus and Mary Chain album</a>.</p>
<blockquote>This week we head back in time to 15th century Germany, or the Holy Roman Empire to be precise. Arnold Hendrick's Darklands (1992, DOS) was a revolutionary game that offered an unprecedented level of historical realism. Experience what the 15th century felt like to the people who lived in it--and see their wildest fears and dreams made flesh! The combat is "real-time with pause," a style that would become quite popular with Baldur's Gate. Alchemy replaces magical spells, and a pantheon of Christian saints bestow their blessings on the pious. Enjoy the video and let me know what you think!</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Real enjoyable little talk on one of the single best rpg's ever made. To think I actually had that awesome manual/historybook/epic tome and sold it.

Shame that there was so much static on the recording or perhaps my speakers are dying?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I need to finally get around to playing Darklands, ffs, but my 'old stuff to play' list is already pretty big and it's increasing instead of decreasing.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darth Roxor said:
I need to finally get around to playing Darklands, ffs, but my 'old stuff to play' list is already pretty big and it's increasing instead of decreasing.

Then stop spamming the Dex and get to it faggot! Waiting around will only result in something in god awful real life to put a near permanent hold on all these plans. I know it happened to me.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sorry, currently checking Might and Magic 6. MM2 is next in line. Then it's an epic Wizardry playthrough of 6 to 8 with the same party. Then it's probably some Realms of Arcania. Then... it's negotiable, but it's probably gonna be either Darklands or some Ultima.

And in the meantime, New Vegas, Gothic 4 and something I've forgotten about are released in the near future. Verdammt.

Zomg

Arbiter
Littered with wrong shit and annoying glurge criticism

Zeus

Cipher
I don't want to spam, so just assume that every time there's a new Matt Chat, I'm doing one of these:

:salute:

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
That was great.
Makes me miss the good old days.
When games came with thick manuals and maps.
:love:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hopefully Jeff V will write and article on how unplayable and what a shit game this is (which it is not).

denizsi

Arcane
soggie said:
Jack said:
That was great.
Makes me miss the good old days.
When games came with thick manuals and maps.

And gameplay.

That's a good breed of newfags. Beware of the bad seed newfags who think all those thick manuals were a necessity born by technological limitations which we thankfully don't have to endure any more.

denizsi

Arcane
There are a couple outrageously cheap boxed Darkland sales on Ebay, btw. Grab one while you can.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Send that shit to the bottom of the barrel. You have a fucking goldmine in front of you.

No shit. But actually, the good thing about these new dumbed down RPGs is that they can be played pretty much at the same time as the old ones. But juggling two old ones at once tends to be hard.

CrimHead

Scholar
I can't play new games at the same time as an old game. Tends to diminish my enjoyment of the new one. I played Amnesia recently at the same time as a replay of SS2. Needless to say, Amensia didn't seem as scary.

Zeus

Cipher
Damn good question, considering the Microprose games they already have.

Ah, Microprose...

Zeus

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Matt is an asshole.

Can't stand that fucker.

Oh, you're just mad about that time he stabbed out one of your eyes. Look on the bright side, you still have the one!

1eyedking

Erudite
The problem with him is he's too detached, and his consciousness of his target audience evinces clearly. He doesn't care about the games he 'reviews', or interviews developers about; he just wants some cheap fame.

Notice how he always says the games he's showcasing are awesome, classics, a testament of excellent design, hyperbole 1, 2, 3, etc., but he never states his personal experience about them, or accounts his own honest analysis (e.g.: including stuff such as obvious flaws). Compare to someone who is really passionate about videogames and is a douche as well :lol:

In other words he's a fake, the kind of fucker the Codex would hate, but this site has gone flaccid a long while ago.

Zomg

Arbiter
Wow I am strongly agreeing with 1eyedking; I did not forsee this possibility. 100% agreement about this guy, at least judging by this video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom