Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Dot plays Restricted Area

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Master Creating; Restricted Area

<a href=http://www.rpgdot.com>RPG Dot</a> has posted a positive <a href=http://www.rpgdot.com/index.php?hsaction=10053&ID=1056>preview</a> of <a href=http://www.ra2083.com/>Restricted Area</a>, a cyberpunk action-RPG set in a post-apocalyptic world, and described as "sci-fi Diablo meets Crusader".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Restricted Area will have a 15-20 hour long main quest for each of the characters. The four storylines cross each other sometimes - for example when one of the main characters has to rescue another one.
<br>
You spend the time between missions in the city, talking to NPCs, doing the usual character related things and acquiring new quests. Advancing in the main quest is optional. There´s an unlimited number of computer-generated side quests, so you have an alternative if the main quest is too tough at the moment.
<br>
Most NPCs you´ll meet in town have a relatively neutral attitude towards the main characters, apart from gender preferences. Dialogs are multiple-choice, and your decisions have consequences. You may open or close certain side quests, earn an NPC's sympathy or antipathy and you will ultimately determine which of the 7 endings you´ll see.
<br>
Of course, an unlimited number of quests also demands an unlimited number of items and weapons. Some of them can of course be bought in shops, which restock randomly every time you re-enter the city. But what happens if a merchant has a nice weapon you can´t afford? You can ask him to put it aside until your next visit. </blockquote>
<br>
Multiple choices, consequences, 7 endings, and a sci-fi setting sound like a winning combination.
<br>

Bobbin

Novice
Although I AM looking forward to this game I do hate generated quests. Gothic 2 (which I'm playing currently) has some rather nice quests but most of them go beyond anything which can be generated automatically.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I guess it all depends on how its done. It works in space trading games, and it could present the "doing jobs for corporations" angle very well.

Eclecticist

Liturgist
Automatically generated quests are awful and detract from the atmosphere of the world. They really are nothing but destructive.

Whipporowill

Erudite
I can't remember anytime random content has been anything but crap:

Dungeons in Daggerfall - check

Battlefields in BeyDiv - check

Random quests in Sacred - check

Although, random equipment works in Diablo, DivDiv and Sacred - although it's not really my cuppa'.

Stark

Liturgist
at the very least randomly generated quests can never be too deep/flesh out. Can't even expect much dialog from randomly generated quests either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom