Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Schroedinger's Cat: Interplay

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Interplay

Odin has been patient enough to persistently follow the development of Interplay and its suckers (Pardon me. Investors.) over at the Raging Bull forums and they were having some difficulty in communicating with Interplay's Luke Haas but they discovered where IPLY's current offices resided.
<br>
<blockquote>
<br>
The offices they are now in at 1682 Langley is an executive suite office building. There are many small offices in that building that are rented out monthly to many different businesses. There will be lots of people there working, but you won't easily know just which company they are working at, unless you talk to the receptionist.
<br>
</blockquote>
<br>
Last night frymuchan (Never give up! Never surrender!) got a reply from Mr. Haas pertaining to the situation at Interplay:
<br>
<blockquote>Interplay does have a staff at their new offices working in a variety of functions, including management, financial/legal, programming and more. Hope and expect earnings to be announced very soon. It has been delayed considerably due to the amount of work that needs to be done to compile and prepare these reports. What was previously being handled by a full staff is now being handled by a much smaller core group of people. The company remains in business and hard at work finalizing earnings, working on the litigation front and pursuing options to improve cashflow, but still faces significant legal and financial hurdles. Earnings report will provide more detail on these issues. </blockquote>
<br>
...and I'm sure frymuchan believed every word of it.
<br>
<br>
Corith (former IPLY employee) followed up with this:
<br>
<blockquote>Don't belive it.
<br>
<br>
I suspect that it is typical corporate spin, since I know better. I suspect they have 4 people. Herve (CEO), Phil (pres), an HR person to function as secretary/receptionist, and an accounting person. None of their former I.T. personal have been called in, other than the director to set up the accounting software so they can pay back payroll.</blockquote>
<br>
Interplay is very much in the same situation as Schrodinger's Cat. It is in the superposition between alive and dead. The thing about a superposition is, you never see it. We can't see an alive-dead cat (or in this case a company). Only time will 'open Schrodinger's box', so to speak, and determine the true state of Interplay's existence.
<br>
<br>
Thanks for the tip, <b>Odin</b>. Link: <a href=http://ragingbull.lycos.com/mboard/boards.cgi?board=IPLY&read=1162>Raging Bull thread</a>.

Reklar

Liturgist
I can't believe that anyone believes that Interplay still has investors. Then again, I worked for a dotbomb company for two years ('98 - '00) and our CEO could supposedly sell refrigerators to eskimos and water to a drowning man, but he never impressed me at the company meetings. They followed a similar path to Interplay after I left, so it's amusing for me to watch another poorly managed company crumble under the close scrutiny of the news (well, Codex news anyway).

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Voss

Erudite
Reklar- those people over at the Raging Bull forums *are* investors. They aren't figments of anyone's imagination.

Voss

Erudite
Eh. Dumb investors are a dime a dozen. More common than crafty intelligent ones, really.

they are neccesary, the system wouldn't work without stupid investors. Just like the world wouldn't work without people worse off than you to pump your gas and stitch your trainers for 2 dollars a week.

Reklar

Liturgist
Voss said:
Reklar- those people over at the Raging Bull forums *are* investors. They aren't figments of anyone's imagination.

I stand corrected. :) I guess they're the type that don't mind buying into longshot investments because they aren't losing any serious capital. I still think it's stupid to invest in Interplay, but being on the consumer end tends to provide a far different perspective than that of an investor of any type. Still, you'd think they'd catch wind of something that would deter them from continuing to support even a longshot.

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

DemonKing

Arcane
Exitium said:
The company remains in business and hard at work finalizing earnings, working on the litigation front and pursuing options to improve cashflow, but still faces significant legal and financial hurdles.

I love how the core business of Interplay "by Gamers, for Gamers" no longer actually includes making games...and yet there are still idiot investors waiting for Herve to "turn it all around.".

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
That kid on Peanuts who played the piano had some undead cat? I never knew that...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom