Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Matt Chat 89: Brian Fargo

Jason

chasing a bee
Tags: Brian Fargo; Matt Barton

<p>Brian Fargo is the guest of honor on <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41h2lx_t89g" target="_blank">Matt Chat #89</a>.</p>
<blockquote>In the first part of my interview with the founder of Interplay, Brian and I discuss his early days, the story of Bard's Tale, life at Interplay, Wizardry, and the humor of Battlechess.</blockquote>
<p>Brian also pops up in an <a href="http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6256/around_the_block_with_brian_fargo.php" target="_blank">interview at Gamasutra</a>.</p>
<blockquote>But the truth is developers don't want to hear that. No one wants to devote hundreds of millions of dollars and say, "It normally comes down to instinct." If you think about the film business, let's talk about the '70s. I just read an interview with [former Apple CEO] John Sculley -- [current Apple CEO] Steve Jobs doesn't believe in focus groups, okay. He doesn't believe that consumers are going to tell him what people need. He's going to tell people what they need. He says they can't imagine these things that he sees.<br /><br />So, in the '70s, the people like [film producer] Bob Evans who ran Paramount, whether they release movies like Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown or Godfather, or whatever the movies were during that time, these were guys who ran these groups and said, "That's a good idea. That's a good idea. That's a good idea," And they did it, and their batting averages were what they were.<br /><br />Now you have the "science of Hollywood," and its batting average is no better than what they were back then. But who wants to hear that? Again, I don't dwell in the past, but I do miss that part of the business where you had the early EA, for example. It was Bing Gordon, it was Trip [Hawkins]. It was all these guys. You could go and have these conversations, and they say, "That's a good idea."</blockquote>
<p><br /><em>Thanks to Jim Cojones and trustno1code</em></p>
<p> </p>

BlaineMono

Liturgist
It's an interesting comparison to Hollywood. but Hollywood also had guys like Dino DiLaurentis.

So how long do I have to wait till one of you fucks makes a fortune and invests it in an awesome high-budget old school cprg?

Lightknight

Liturgist
Brian Fargo is the guest of honor on Matt Chat #89.
Who the fuck is this guy, and how does he keep getting these high-profile interview chances ??

Steve Jobs doesn't believe in focus groups
If he did, maybe Apple wouldnt produce crap with godawful support.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
What? The Gameindustry/hollywood comparrison is new to you guise?

mondblut

Arcane
Re: Brian Fargo on Matt Chat & Gamasutra

You're kind of an interesting figure. You're from this old school class of game veterans.

Awesome start. Need just a little correction:

[Perception] You're kind of an interesting figure. You're from this old school class of game veterans.

honey123

Novice
I don’t think you can compare Hollywood of the 70s to the present day as there is no comparison to the cost of producing a movie between then and now – I think it must be more than 10,000 times than what it was then. So naturally you can’t afford to take the kind of risks that you could at that time!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom