Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dragon Age 2 - On Dwarves, Elves and Qunari

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Dragon Age 2

<p>Hello Dragon Age fans. Today <a href="http://blog.bioware.com/2011/01/25/on-dwarves-elves-and-qunari/" target="_blank">we are presenting</a> some lore around the dwarves, elves, and qunari along with a <a href="http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/body-shapes.jpg" target="_blank">few new images</a> and heraldry to give you some insight into the different races you will meet in <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong>.</p>
<p>Here's a snippet:</p>
<blockquote>
<p>The people of the Qun are, perhaps, the least-understood group in Thedas. The Qunari Wars were brutal, but so was the Chantry Schism. So was the fall of the Imperium.&nbsp; Some of this misunderstanding is an accident of nature: The race we call &ldquo;qunari&rdquo; are formidable. Nature has given them fierce horns and strange eyes, and the ignorant look on them and see monsters.</p>
<p>Some is an accident of language: Few among the Qun&rsquo;s people speak the common tongue, and fewer speak it well. In a culture that strives for mastery, to have only a passable degree of skill is humiliating indeed, and so they often keep quiet among foreigners, out of shame.</p>
<p>But much of it is a result of the culture itself. The qunari view their whole society as a single creature: A living entity whose health and well-being is the responsibility of all. Each individual is only a tiny part of the whole, a drop of blood in its veins. Important not for itself, but for what it is to the whole creature.&nbsp; Because of this, the qunari most outsiders meet belong to the army, which the Qun regards as if it were the physical body: Arms, legs, eyes and ears, the things a creature needs in order to interact with the world. One cannot get to know a person solely by studying his hand or his foot, and so one cannot truly &ldquo;meet&rdquo; the qunari until one has visited their cities. That is where their mind and soul dwell.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>The Qunari are the new Baatezu, <a href="http://bioware.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/quanari_lineup.jpg" target="_blank">have a look</a>. Fare thee well for now and stay tuned as we'll soon reveal more juicy <strong>Dragon Age 2</strong> lore. Mahalo.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/#16609">RPGWatch</a></p>

baronjohn

Cipher
Did they hire someone from Cartoon Network? Why are their faces so ugly?

Project: Eternity
270px-Sten_new.jpg

Sten from DA didn't have horns, did he? What, soldiers get de-horned for service? What's up with that?

Dragon age wiki used to link to a quote by David Gaider saying that he wanted the qunari to be a mix between Mayans, Ottomans and Vikings. I guess we can add Chinese and Hindus to the mix?

.Sigurd

Educated
Freelance Henchman said:
270px-Sten_new.jpg

Sten from DA didn't have horns, did he? What, soldiers get de-horned for service? What's up with that?

I remember some Bioware dev saying that Sten lost his horns or some other bullshit like that.

Project: Eternity
I'm pretty sure that the rest of the Qunari soldiers you see in that Fade sequence in the mage tower didn't have horns either. Does Bio think the Qunari weren't weird and GRIMDARK enough in DA:O so they need this makeover?

dbx

Arcane
Patron
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The race we call “qunari” are formidable. Nature has given them fierce horns and strange eyes, and the ignorant look on them and see monsters

Oh god, lol. bioware lore-raping has begun even before having something resembling a lore.
At least it took 5 games to Beth before starting to rape ES lore,
to biocunt just one.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The game I hate has made a minor change so I'll rageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shannow

Waster of Time
dbx said:
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The race we call “qunari” are formidable. Nature has given them fierce horns and strange eyes, and the ignorant look on them and see monsters

Oh god, lol. bioware lore-raping has begun even before having something resembling a lore.
At least it took 5 games to Beth before starting to rape ES lore,
to biocunt just one.
That was known for months. The linked concept art isn't new either.
I don't mind news or bitching about DA2, but please don't repeat yourselves so much.
I'd give a fuck about horns on Qunari if they were a playable race I gave a fuck about DA2...

torpid

Liturgist
along with a few new images and heraldry to give you some insight into the different races you will meet in Dragon Age 2.

Already half-naked for fapping purposes. :thumbsup: Bioware sure know their fanbase.

Volourn said:

The game I hate has made a minor change so I'll rageeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually agree with Volly here -- lore inconsistencies are the least of DA's problems.

Monocause

Arcane
I wonder about the qunari women hips. Isn't it strange that while the Qunari are much larger than other races the women haven't got the physical construction to compensate for a proportional increase of a new-born's weight and size?
That can make for some grimdark narrative, I suppose.

Vikush said:
The first thing every warrior son of Qun should remember is the feeling of his mother's bones broken underneath the might of his horns, the taste of his mother's blood and the sound of her pain!

606663736_680c8344fc.jpg

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The people of the Qun are, perhaps, the least-understood group in Thedas. The Qunari Wars were brutal, but so was the Chantry Schism. So was the fall of the Imperium....

....blablabla oh god this is so fucking stupid I though forgotten realms was shitty but this is ten times worse

Gromnir

Liturgist
Volourn said:

am agreeing with vol that the new horny quinari is a minor change... no biggie. however, given that it is a minor change, one cannot help but wonder why it were deemed worth the effort to implement.

"you know what would be kewl?"

can almost hearthe conversation that inspired the da version o' the tiefling/cambion. am not seeing how adding horns makes game better save for the folks who thinks fiendish aspects is inherent nifty.

too many s'posed da " improvements " involve seemingly minor visual changes. but the gameplay...

*shrug*

if making sten horny in da2 is so minor as to be beneath contempt, then why waste the effort? somebody at bio thinks that such a change IS meaningful enough to dedicate resources to realizing the change. go figure.

HA! Good Fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom