Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Bloodlines spotted at Gamespot

Whipporowill

Erudite
Tags: Jason Anderson; Troika Games; Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

On the heels of the recent herd of Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines hands-on impressions, <a href="http://www.gamespot.com" target=_blank>Gamespot</a> takes the spotlight. Leaving us with some general <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/preview_6112496.html" target_blank>impression</a> and focus on un-spoilery elements such as facial animations and the game world, as seen in this here quote:<blockquote>You'll begin the game in the Santa Monica hub, which is similar to the city zones found in the classic role-playing game Deus Ex. In fact, Bloodlines seems to bear more than a passing resemblance to that game since, like in Deus Ex, you start off in your gritty little apartment. Turn on the radio and you can listen to a lengthy, local talk radio show with callers discussing things that may or may not be clues to later events in the game. Then you can sit down at your computer and sort through your e-mail, filtering out the junk mail (yes, spam exists in the virtual world of Bloodlines) and looking for the clues. But some of the spam may be clues as well, as some of it corresponds with businesses and services that are in the game. It's all stuff to file away in your head for later use. You can also search your apartment for useful items, like blood packs that someone thoughtfully stashed in your refrigerator. Blood packs serve as health packs in a way, but they also allow you to recharge your blood meter. Blood powers your vampiric disciplines, which resemble magical powers, such as obfuscate, which makes your character invisible to detection.</blockquote>For those interested, there's also a new developer interview <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/vtmb/media.html?gcst=vampiretmb_pc_10104ot3.asx" target=_blank>video</a> with Troika co-founder Jason Andersson and TJ Perillo, mixed up with some of the action sequences from the game. Release date at the end of November's what being said by Jason - but still, no official word from Activision.
<br>

Spazmo

Erudite
Okay, that sounds really freaking cool. A full radio program and a computer with email? Swank. I hope they work the two into the game fairly well.

That said, didn't Deus Ex start with you on Liberty Island?

Whipporowill

Erudite
I think it was Liberty Island, yes - you wound up there courtesy of the cut-scene and had to start the game by choosing to kick ass, or sneak around avoiding kicking said ass.

And yeah, the radio program was news to me - and the reason I chose that actual part. Sounds extremly interesting that they're trying to use those kinds of things for immersion - hope there's plenty more of that!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Interfaces within games are definitely cool. I didn't play Deus Ex for the first few days that I got it because I didn't think there was much to it based on the graphics and the early game, but some forum members on the Eidos forums had good things to say about it, so I gave it a whirl and suffice to say, I was very pleased with the game. What I liked most about Deus Ex were the interfaces within the game, like the hacking interface, the security interface and the in-game computer and e-mail terminals. Those were pretty good. DXIW 'streamlined' all of them and it turned out crap.

I hope Vampire has in-game interfaces similar to the original Deus Ex. That would pretty much rock.

Whipporowill

Erudite
The only in-game interface I've seen is the lap-top in Club Confessions, which has an old-school greenish monochrome sceen and has you write commands on your own keyboard, as per a list on the screen. And no, you don't zoom or anything, just walk in front of it - as far as I could see.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
In fact, Bloodlines seems to bear more than a passing resemblance to that game since, like in Deus Ex, you start off in your gritty little apartment.

That's interesting considering Deus Ex started in the Docks at Liberty Island, not in an apartment. He's either confusing it with either a much louded Deus Ex mod which had JC Denton start out in his apartment, or with Invisible War where Alex Denton started the game in a small apartment in the Tarsus Training academy. None of them were on Liberty Island, to boot.

Leave it to the gaming industry and press to rewrite the past, or try to, wheter intentionally or not.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Maybe I'll ask my mommy to get me Bloodlines for Christmas!!

*sings jingle bells*

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Now they are stealing ideas from sports games. <>

Either way, it sounds kewl. :cool:

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
i have to be honest that the whole "Vampire" mythos is probably the last one id pick if I wanted a cool RPG... but I cant deny how kick ass this game is likely to be - for one thing I am a Troika worshipper, so its pretty much a given Id buy it anyways.... but I cant help but wonder how much better this sort of game would be with a license like "Warhammer 40k" or "Robotech" or even "GURPS"....

or how about "Paranoia"???? anyone ever play that pen & paper RPG?? I suppose it would be tough since its more designed to be fun for the GM (or 'computer') than the PCs... but still....

all in all I think this is probably the last license I want to see an epic revolutionary RPG built around... oh well

mathboy

Liturgist
space captain said:
or how about "Paranoia"???? anyone ever play that pen & paper RPG?? I suppose it would be tough since its more designed to be fun for the GM (or 'computer') than the PCs... but still....

A cRPG where you play the GM could be cool, kinda like The Sims, but the A.I. needs to be better for it to work I guess.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Yeah, Deus Ex started you off on Liberty Island. Not only that, but at no point in the game do you even have an apartment (although you visit Paul's a couple of times).

Whipporowill said:
The only in-game interface I've seen is the lap-top in Club Confessions, which has an old-school greenish monochrome sceen and has you write commands on your own keyboard, as per a list on the screen. And no, you don't zoom or anything, just walk in front of it - as far as I could see.

Yeah I saw that too. I'm not sure how it'll turn out though - entering commands has the risk of being unintuitive if it's not explained well enough, kind of like the old Sierra adventure games where you had to type what you wanted to do, and would get stuck because you didn't say 'taste' instead of 'eat' or 'use'.

dunduks

Liturgist
Mendoza said:
Yeah I saw that too. I'm not sure how it'll turn out though - entering commands has the risk of being unintuitive if it's not explained well enough, kind of like the old Sierra adventure games where you had to type what you wanted to do, and would get stuck because you didn't say 'taste' instead of 'eat' or 'use'.
Most likely either you will choose commands from the list or there will be a magic "help" command that lists available commands. They could make the hacking as a minigame - Uplink style, now that would truly rock.

plin

Liturgist
He's probably just thinking of Paul's place since there were items stashed in their like he's describing in bloodlines. And a computer.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
You know, I really liked that aspect of Deus Ex, the computers, e-mail, and such. I'll probably like it even more in Bloodlines.

miserychick

Novice
Sounds kinda like Doom 3. Say what you will about the rest of the game, but the way they handled using computers was great.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
True. Personally, I think that DX computer use was top notch, or something close to it. Now, all we need is the ability to reply to them and we're set!

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Whipporowill said:
Too bad it was just window-dressing.

Funny thing is that people are touting the PDA system as being innovative with the voice recordings. Well, surprise surprise, System Shock did it long ago. All Id did was pretty it up more and add videos.

Spazmo

Erudite
The way id integrated computer consoles into the game was very nice, though. When you waves your crosshair over a computer screen, it turned into a cursor and you could click stuff on the screen.

DDOM3 was, of course, surpassed in every way that really matters by System Shock 2, but that part of it was well done.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I liked the ways it was done in D3. But, like you guys say, it's window dressing. If it can be done seamlessly like that, then hey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom