Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon: The Black Fortress Released For Mac

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Avadon: The Black Fortress; Spiderweb Software

<p><em>Spiderweb Software brings you Avadon: The Black Fortress, the first chapter in a new, epic fantasy saga. You will serve the keep of Avadon, working as a spy and warrior to fight the enemies of your homeland. As a servant of the Black Fortress, your word is law. Experience an exciting fantasy role-playing adventure and battle a conspiracy to destroy your people.</em></p>
<p><em><br /></em></p>
<p align="left">Avadon: The Black Fortress Features:</p>
<ul>
<li>Epic fantasy role-playing adventure in an enormous and unique world.</li>
<li>Four different character classes, with dozens of unique spells and abilities.</li>
<li>Uncover the fascinating history of Avadon and the land of Lynaeus.</li>
<li>Many different endings. Your choices will change the world.</li>
<li>Dozens of side quests, hidden dungeons, and secrets to discover.</li>
<li>Hundreds of magical items to find. Use powerful crystals to make your artifacts even more powerful.</li>
<li>Huge adventure with lots of replay value. </li>
</ul>
<p><a href="http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/avadon/index.html" target="_blank">Download the demo here.</a></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The PC version will be coming in spring 2011.</p>

Johannes

Arcane
Mac release is ok for bug testing.

Upon reading a bit on the spiderweb forums, not sure what to make of it yet... The impression I got is that it's been dumbed down, er, streamlined on many things, but combat is less repetitive and straightforward.
I just hope the hardest difficulty would be actually hard.

youhomofo

Augur
I've only played a couple hours, but so far it's coming across a bit lackluster.

First off, you pick one of four pre-generated characters. You may select a name, but you have no influence on gender, appearance or stats. Upon entering the game you very quickly meet four NPC identical to the four characters you could choose from. They immediately offer to join you. You may select up to two whenever you decide to go out on a quest. It reminds me a little of Mass Effect in that regard. Leveling up allows you to increase a stat by one point and increase a skill by another point. Skills are broken into a tree al la Diablo. In fact, the entire leveling system reeks of Diablo.

Streamlined--or dumbed down. I haven't engaged in countless trash fights as of yet like in all the rest of the Spiderweb games, but I don't know if that's because Vogel's finally realizing how boring and repetitive that is or if it's because I haven't progressed far enough to be beset upon by bandit after bandit after bandit.

Too early for a solid verdict. Before giving it a resounding thumbs down I feel the game deserves to be played a few more hours. Unless something interesting happens and fast I don't know if I'll be able to force myself to play that long, though.

torpid

Liturgist
youhomofo said:
I've only played a couple hours, but so far it's coming across a bit lackluster.

First off, you pick one of four pre-generated characters. You may select a name, but you have no influence on gender, appearance or stats. Upon entering the game you very quickly meet four NPC identical to the four characters you could choose from. They immediately offer to join you. You may select up to two whenever you decide to go out on a quest. It reminds me a little of Mass Effect in that regard. Leveling up allows you to increase a stat by one point and increase a skill by another point. Skills are broken into a tree al la Diablo. In fact, the entire leveling system reeks of Diablo.

:/

:rage:

Goddamit I was looking forward to this game; I guess I didn't follow its development closely enough. Should've taken a hint from his blog musings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom