Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Age of Decadence Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Age of Decadence; Iron Tower; Vault Dweller

<p>RPGWatch are <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=171&amp;ref=0&amp;id=2" target="_blank">offering an interview</a> with Vince. D. Weller concerning his upcoming action MMORPG <strong>The Age of Decadence</strong>. How awesome is 'sploding enemies going to be in AoD? Read on to learn more:</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>Rune: Choice and Consequence, something many games aim for but have a hard time actually achieving, how is that progressing on your game?</strong></p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>Vince:</strong> Do they? Adding choices and logical consequences isn't exactly a rocket science. There are two reasons why you don't see enough choices in games. First, it takes time. Obviously, if you have 50 quests, designing, writing, and scripting 50 solutions are a lot easier and faster than doing 50 x 3-4 solutions. All "commercial" games are on tight deadlines, so adding optional solutions is a luxury few can afford.</p>
<p>The other reason is based on a widespread belief that most people don't play games more than once and many won't even finish them, moving on to the next one, which gives the studios no reason to make replayable games, as that's what choices do - they create playthrough variations that go beyond the choice of class and party members.</p>
<p>So, since choices &amp; consequences is one of the main features, it's progressing very nicely but, as you can see, it takes a bit of time.</p>
</blockquote>

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Solid interview by a slight touch of arrogance. The Codexian way!!!

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
The next step is a full demo, which will be released in the upcoming months and feature the starting town with two satellite locations, 25 quests...Keep in mind that many quests are mutually exclusive and the player won't be able to get more than 7-10 quests per playthrough (in the demo).
Fucking A. If the game lives up to the way it's been described then the demo alone will probably feature more interesting content and replayability than most full games do these days.

Really looking forward, can't wait till the full game is finally finished. :salute:

Arcanoix

Scholar
A few months to get a demo.... hmm....Progressing nicely? On Torque? Impossible.

Vaporware.

Globbi

Augur
Interesting, though I thought it would be 2-3 months for the full release.

Karmapowered

Augur
Thank you very much for the interview.

Very encouraging :thumbsup:

If AoD isn't released before, it will be on my Christmas list (again).

At this stage, you would really have to bork it bad, DA2 style, to miss on my day 1 purchase.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
A1y8y.jpg

Raapys

Arcane
Looks great, though I'm still not sure I like the whole 'no real magic' approach.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I prefer RPGs that support making decisions [within the story arc and setting] fitting your character. RPGs where you play a role not by following a predefined path and moving from one cutscene to another, but by actually deciding what to do, when, and how, using your character's (instead of your own) skills and abilities. RPGs that offer multiple paths through the game, multiple quest solutions, choices & consequences (to make your choices meaningful).

stans-dad.jpg

Short but informative interview. Good job.

visions

Arcane
[disguise] "You don't know?! Your job is to do what you're fucking told, not to offer opinions and judgement. If you dare to question your orders again, the only trading you'll be doing is selling your ass to the fucking Ordu in the wasteland. Am I being clear?"

I like the writing here.

:thumbsup:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Rune: The combat demo came out a while back and though the combat itself was good the graphics were a bit off. Is there a plan to release a new version of the demo?
What a fucking retard.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
VentilatorOfDoom said:
The other reason is based on a widespread belief that most people don't play games more than once and many won't even finish them, moving on to the next one, which gives the studios no reason to make replayable games, as that's what choices do - they create playthrough variations that go beyond the choice of class and party members.

So, since choices & consequences is one of the main features, it's progressing very nicely but, as you can see, it takes a bit of time.

Dogtown_and_ZBoys_440017399.gif

Well that certainly sounds interesting, going to wait for the demo to decide on this one but it sounds very promising from what I've heard so far.
Does it come with any nasty DRM by the way? If it's clean form that shit I'm probably gonna buy a boxed copy.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Merkwürdigliebe said:
Well that certainly sounds interesting, going to wait for the demo to decide on this one but it sounds very promising from what I've heard so far.
Does it come with any nasty DRM by the way? If it's clean form that shit I'm probably gonna buy a boxed copy.

We haven't decided on any kind of DRM, but surely won't be some of those pesky ones with rootkits and all that shit.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Relese the goddamn game already and then patch in whats missing and call it Extended, Enhanced, whatever edition. Enough is enough. I remember when I was young boy he created a thread about making a game in like 2003. Im 30 this year. Come on, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom