Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KOTOR 2: Not as good as the original

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

Another one of those "good, but not as good" <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a> reviews. The new <b>4.5/5</b> <a href=http://xbox.about.com/od/reviews/fr/kotorIIrev.htm>review</a> is posted at <a href=http://xbox.about.com>About Xbox</a>
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>If you are a fan of the first Knights of the Old Republic, you’ll definitely enjoy KOTOR II: The Sith Lords. There are a lot of little problems, though, that result in this one not being as good as the original. It is still very good and worth playing, but more is expected of sequels and developer Obsidian simply didn’t deliver. I’m sure it is because they didn’t want to screw anything up since KOTOR was so very good, but making only minimal changes to the gameplay and leaving the sub-par graphics and tons of glitches alone is just not going to cut it.
<br>
<br>
That said, this is still a must play game. There is a lot more combat this time around, and using a lightsaber is simply a lot of fun. The overall storyline isn’t as satisfying as the original, but it brings up a lot of philosophical questions and will teach you a lot about the Jedi so it is very interesting if you are a Star Wars fan. KOTOR II takes around 40 hours to beat, and you will likely want to play it multiple times (at least once each on the dark and light paths) so I recommend it for a purchase. Give it a rental if you aren’t sure, but you’ll likely end up buying it anyway.</blockquote>
<br>
Disappointing. Everyone keeps saying about minimal changes and "more of the same", including technical issues, nature of the game. Doesn't stop them from giving it high scores though.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Jora

Arcane
the review said:
There is a lot more combat this time around
It would be interesting to know what kind of character he played. The number of fights diplomatic characters were able to avoid in KotOR was too small.
The overall storyline isn’t as satisfying as the original
:? I'm not really sure that is possible. And I have hard time trusting anyone who thinks KotOR's story is satisfying.

EDIT: I didn't notice this part: "(often with your lightsaber rather than through negotiation)"

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I didn't care for KOTOR's story myself, in fact, I found it to be obnoxious, and yet I agree that it was more satisfying in this department than its sequel. The rushed final areas of the sequel really have to be seen to be believed.

Because, as with the original, you spend most of the game planet-hopping, focusing on each of the their problems rather than the main story arc, the main story really isn't dealt with so much until the two or three final areas of the game, which happen to be horribly rushed together. It really hurts the game and the story overall.

I still intend to play through as a Sith Lord, because I'm told that the game still manages to offer a better dark side path.

The Exar

Liturgist
Everyone keeps saying, that the new KotOR has only minor/minimal changes from the original. It seems that Obsidian didn't have the courage(or the potential) to make the desired changes in the game. In the forums I rapidly encountered many promisses about "changed gameplay and many inovations" It seems we were fooled again.
But VD is right. Why do they give it high scores? Here's another question. Is the XBox version worse than the PC version and are there major exceptions? I haven't read anything about the game, but I doubt there will be significiant differences.
I realy don't like these reviews. I always wanted KotOR better. Oh, well.... we'll just have to wait for the third KotOR, right? :evil:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Why do they give it high scores?"

Simple. Most people loved KOTOR so if KOTOR is 'more of the same' wouldn't it be loved just a smuch but lose a little bit of the ratings because of the 'sameness".

Though; i don't know why people are shocked.

We have a ...

Sequel

Same Engine

New Dev Being Old Dev

I'm not surprised it's "more of the same".

If you hated KOTOR1's combat than you'll hate KOTOR2's. And, vice versa.

Really, the only difference is the story. And, since story is *always* a 50/50 when it comes to liking/not liking; it's always up in the air.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
My brother fucking sucks as a gamer! D:<

He's had the game for a week and he's only around 16 hours in!

I want to play, dammit! The game sounds sweet.

The Exar

Liturgist
jiujitsu said:
My brother fucking sucks as a gamer! D:<

He's had the game for a week and he's only around 16 hours in!

I want to play, dammit! The game sounds sweet.
Be patient. Passion leads to the Dark Side :twisted:

protobob

Liturgist
If I was some kind of video game redactionist, I'd say this:

The original script always refered to Revan as "he," and later they added the ability for the player to tell the game what sex Revan was. I say this because one of the most obvious bugs of the game is if you tell the that Revan was female, characters wlil intermitently refer to Revan as "he" or "she." For instance during one conversation one screen of text will refer to Revan as male, and the next screen of text, female. It's a nice way to take your mind out of the game.

But I'm not a video game redactionist. And who gives a greenbean what redactionists think anyway.

protobob

Liturgist
kumquatq3 said:
Wait till you guys find out how the influence system really works, or should I say, doesn't work.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=26849

very lite spoilers

I wouldn't say it's broken.
I'd just say it's not very sophisticated.

The primary function of the influence system is to unlock dialogue.
The secondary function of the influence system is to have your alignment affect the alignment of the influenced party members.

To have the influence system determine how they are influenced in probably more complication than they wanted to bother with, and I don't blame them.

Basically, the 'good' character is more likely to influence the 'good' npcs
and vice versa. To encourage replay.

I don't think it was ever intended to be a psychology simulator. Those people are just asking for too much.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Asking for too much? It was Obsdiian who thought up the 'Influence System' and brag about how the PC would be able to influence the party members. It's their fault for calling it the 'Influence' system if it's anything but. That is, if that thread, is accurate.

protobob

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Asking for too much? It was Obsdiian who thought up the 'Influence System' and brag about how the PC would be able to influence the party members. It's their fault for calling it the 'Influence' system if it's anything but. That is, if that thread, is accurate.

It's more complicated than they make out, though it's possible "influence" is a misnomer, and I can't really go into detail without going into spoiler terrioty (the influence system is actually integrated with plot elements).

At it's most simpliest it's like this: the higher your influence with a character the more that character's alignment reflects your own---with exceptions. The catch is that different characters are influenced different ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom