Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KOTOR 2: Not enough puzzles and too much text

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.wired.com>Wired</a> has posted a 2-page <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a> <a href=http://www.wired.com/news/games/0,2101,66013,00.html?tw=wn_tophead_3>review</a>, bitching about windy jungles of monologues, excessive dialogues, confused ending, and the lack of teh clevar puzzles.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>There were other times when we were bored out of our skulls, especially given technical glitches that would cause three-minute, mini-anime movies of plot exposition that were cool the first time to play again. A visit to a planet to advance the master story line involved dipping into convoluted subplots that were like hacking through jungles of monologue.
<br>
<br>
The exposition and dialogue are often leaden and excessive, and it's hard to consistently get a grip on what's important and really advancing the story. The moral for developers may be that in both video games and movies, sometimes what you put in is less important than what you leave on the cutting room floor. LucasArts, please keep that in mind for the inevitable KOTOR III.</blockquote>
<br>
The reviewer also thinks that Godfather II was "an improvement on the masterpiece that preceded it", so feel free to disregard his opinion entirely.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>MarFish</b>

Sol Invictus

Erudite
It figures that anything MCA wrote would probably be conceived as 'too complicated' or 'boring' to those idiots who think the word 'book' is a bad four letter word.

From what I understand, the game is a huge improvement over the original KOTOR and dialogue with NPCs requires at least some grasp of psychology, in order to get them to do what you want them to do. Just telling them "I love you" won't get them to kiss you.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It figures that anything MCA wrote would probably be conceived as 'too complicated' or 'boring' to those idiots who think the word 'book' is a bad four letter word.

From what I understand, the game is a huge improvement over the original KOTOR and dialogue with NPCs requires at least some grasp of psychology, in order to get them to do what you want them to do. Just telling them "I love you" won't get them to kiss you."

Hahahaha! Can your lips be any further up his ass? He's a solid game writer; but he's not that good. Please. PST's writing is overrated. And, from what I've heard you don't need pshyoclogy to get them to do what you want; but the ability to press a button. Seriosuly, the KOTOR2 npcs seem to be very simple basic.

MCA = Overrated. He's okay; but meh.

Lomer

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Please. PST's writing is overrated.

Would you give us an example of better writing. IMHO only KOTOR and Bloodlines are coming close to Torment’s writing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Would you give us an example of better writing."

Eh. I never said PST's writing sucks.

People claim that its writing is perfect, and unmatched, and only morons who hate reading would dislike it.

That simply isn't true.

PST has some of the best writing in the genre; but it surely isn't above reproach.

KOTOR, BL, BG series, IWD1, and HOTU are just some examples. Certain parts of the Ffs eries as well. The old Ultima games too.

But, none of those are above reproach either.

Once again, Avellone is a good writer; but he's not God's Gift To Writing tm. And, his writing from what I've seen isn't complicated either. Geez.. Only an idiot would think so.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Then why do you always continually deposit semen over his areas in FO2."

because, they were good. kthnxbye.

P.S. What areas were these?

P.S.S. I never said he sucked. Heck, I like PST; I just don't cum over it like others.

Next.

geminito

Liturgist
The review sounds about right for KOTOR 1 too. Bored to tears with the inane dialog, and meandering story.

But who would want more of those puzzles? Lame is lame.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"But who would want more of those puzzles?"

The reviewer's wife for one as it proved she was smarter than him. :lol:

The Exar

Liturgist
geminito said:
The review sounds about right for KOTOR 1 too. Bored to tears with the inane dialog, and meandering story.
Let's clear it. What don't you like: the dialogue options or the things the NPC's were saying? These are two different things. It's true that you didn't have much of a choice in conversation, but there were many good lines and the dialogue gave me an excellent picture of the surrounding world. It was interesting enough. There aren't many games with better dialogue.

DemonKing

Arcane
Screaming_life said:
Text?!! Ahh! darn it, you mean i have to learn to read?! :x

Don't worry - you can turn the subtitles off in both KOTOR & Bloodlines - although unfortunately the dialog options are in text. :?

I guess you could just mash buttons and hope for the best!

Or if its a Bio game the saintly/good option is usually #1, the "how about a reward button" is behind door #2 and the evil/jerk button #3 (sometimes #2 & #3 are combined) if that helps.

protobob

Liturgist
Behold, I am the Electronic Artification of the Universe, Woe is my coming!

All shall be judged. Those failing to please ACTION, your god, shall perish.

ACTION deemed adventure games unworthy, and they perished.

Text-heavy RPG's, ponderous, overwrought and unintelligible to 95% of public school educated consumers, ACTION finds you lacking. Redeem thyself or face the winnowing.

All shall be judged.

aside: You know, as much potential that video game technology has, it's said that it's held captive by the almighty dollar.

triCritical

Erudite
The Exar said:
geminito said:
Let's clear it. What don't you like: the dialogue options or the things the NPC's were saying? These are two different things. It's true that you didn't have much of a choice in conversation, but there were many good lines and the dialogue gave me an excellent picture of the surrounding world. It was interesting enough. There aren't many games with better dialogue.

With the exception of the evil robot, it was just all so... GAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Screaming_life

Liturgist
DemonKing said:
Screaming_life said:
Text?!! Ahh! darn it, you mean i have to learn to read?! :x

I guess you could just mash buttons and hope for the best!

Sounds like a plan! :)

DemonKing said:
Or if its a Bio game the saintly/good option is usually #1, the "how about a reward button" is behind door #2 and the evil/jerk button #3 (sometimes #2 & #3 are combined) if that helps.

ok, so:

#1 = good
#3 = bad
and if i want a prize i should pick #2

seems simple enough...... but wait! how do i decide between good and evil?!
and is good always good? and bad always bad? how will i be able to tell the difference?
is it colour coded? i hope it's colour coded or else i might not know what to do..... or better yet just make it so all the outcomes are the same then i can get on with some killing!

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
triCritical said:
Come on, I thought we've already been here before. Bioware is discriminatory when it comes to gays, how can everything be gay if Bioware intentionally excludes gays! :wink:

triCritical

Erudite
dojoteef said:
triCritical said:
Come on, I thought we've already been here before. Bioware is discriminatory when it comes to gays, how can everything be gay if Bioware intentionally excludes gays! :wink:

Well iits more like the, OMG this is sooooo GAY, form of gay. I swear playing that game, I just thought to myself, this is embarassing. Its almost as bad as the final fantasy narratives.

AlanC9

Liturgist
triC, what exactly does that usage of "gay" mean? I know it's bad, but what kind of bad?

Just trying to keep up with you kids; I'm old enough to have only used the word to mean 'homosexual."

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Any asshole who says Godfather 2 was better than the first needs a swift kick to the junk. For GODS SAKE! NO one can replace Brando as the God Father.

geminito

Liturgist
triCritical said:
Well iits more like the, OMG this is sooooo GAY, form of gay. I swear playing that game, I just thought to myself, this is embarassing. Its almost as bad as the final fantasy narratives.

I agree. Much of the dialog was far from exceptional. Anything Carth had to say was painful to endure. It was just time-filler. There was definitely some good dialog, but it rarely came from the party members.

And the dialog options were often pointless.

1. Please continue your rambling.
2. Attack me because I chose this option.
3. Please shut up.

or

1. I'm a good guy
2. I'll do it if you pay me.
3. I'm a bad guy

But the environments were graphically well-done in KOTOR1. Still, not enough there for me to go out and buy KOTOR2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom