Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review KOTOR 2: Expansion or Sequel?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords

<a href=http://www.insidegameronline.com>Inside Gamer</a> has posted a <a href=http://www.insidegameronline.com/xbox.php?view=reviews&id=613>review</a> of <a href=http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swkotor_sithlords>KOTOR 2</a>, singing praises to Bio and noting the "sameness" of the sequel. The score is <b>8.4/10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The original Knights of the Old Republic was more than just another RPG; after its release last year, critics and fans both agreed that the game's style of role-playing, in which gamers could progress through the game in unique ways thanks to the several moral or immoral choices that had to be made in order to advance the story, was both fairly innovative and highly addictive. Few games were able to mix such an epic and incredible plot with memorable characters, a fun combat system, and grand audio production like the original KotOR did almost effortlessly.</blockquote>The reviewer is either stupid or shameless. Or both.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, will cater only to fans of the original. The game plays so much like its predecessor that at times you have to wonder if it is just an expansion pack or really an entirely separate game. Gamers that were turned off by KotOR the first time around should stay far from this game, but fans should feel comforted that Obsidian Entertainment has put together a more than worthy sequel, and an incredible gaming experience in its own right.</blockquote>I just don't understand one thing. If the game is as awesome as the reviewer thinks, why only the fans of the original should like it? What other unmentionable gameplay flaws would turn others away?

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
The reviewer is either stupid or shameless. Or both.

I choose both. Did I win?

You know, I did like KOTOR. But, please, if I EVER called it innovative then I would expect someone to shoot me right then and there. The only thing innovative about that game was........ well, I can't think of anything innovative about it actually. :?

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Vault Dweller said:
The reviewer is either stupid or shameless. Or both.

I choose both. Did I win?

You know, I did like KOTOR. But, please, if I EVER called it innovative then I would expect someone to shoot me right then and there. The only thing innovative about that game was....

::stops reading at that point::

::shoots Otaku like he requested::

PennyAnte

Liturgist
(head) Inside (my own ass) Gamer Online said:
The plot is just as grand as KotOR's … It is difficult to live up to the high plot standards set by the original, which possessed one of the greatest plot twists in the history of not only gaming, but storytelling.
OH MY FUCKING GOD I AM SO TIRED OF READING THAT FUCKING COMMENT!!!!

BIOWARE IS NOT FUCKING SHAKESPEARE!!!!

PLAYING A FUCKING AMNESIAC JEDI THAT TURNS OUT TO BE REVAN-CENTER-OF-THE-FUCKING-UNIVERSE IS NOT FUCKING STORYTELLING GENIUS IT’S A FUCKING GIMMICKY STORYTELLING COPOUT!

FOR FUCK’S SAAAAAAKE!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I just remember thinking,

"It figures."

That's just Bioware for you. These guys love to think BIG. They did similar things with Baldur's Gate, you know? I wouldn't be surprised if, in Dragon Age, they make your character the GRAND DRAGON LORD OF "OH MY GOD"-NESS.

I preffered the amnesia plot of Torment's so much more, but that's jes' little ol' me.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I preffered the amnesia plot of Torment's so much more, but that's jes' little ol' me."

Hahaha. Haha. Same type of shit, different pile.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I preferred the Nameless One's rather low key revelation of his identity. I liked being no big deal. I'm allowed.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I preferred the Nameless One's rather low key revelation of his identity. I liked being no big deal. I'm allowed."

TNO was no big deal? Hahahaha. Did we play the same game? Geez.. Almost every named character in the game knew TNO at one time or another.

And, though the revlation was slow; that was beause that WAS the story. And, besides, the jackhammer was wacked when you woke up right at start of the game with the big neon sign "I HAVE AMNESIA AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!". No subtley at all in that game.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I'm talking about the guy's identity before his "unfortunate series of events."

As I said before, I'm allowed my preference, just as you're allowed your Final Fantasy fetish.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"As I said before, I'm allowed my preference, just as you're allowed your Final Fantasy fetish."

That's hilarious considering that PST takes a lot of its ques - espicially in the story department - from the FF series.

R00fles!

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Transcendent One said:
Bastila's titties didn't even use JiggleTech.

What gall!

PennyAnte said:
BIOWARE IS NOT FUCKING SHAKESPEARE!!!!

Of course not. Shakespeare has been dead for several hundred years. :lol:

dipdipdip said:
I preffered the amnesia plot of Torment's so much more, but that's jes' little ol' me.

Yea, that game was awesome.

Volourn said:
Hahaha. Haha. Same type of shit, different pile.

No.

Volourn said:
That's hilarious considering that PST takes a lot of its ques - espicially in the story department - from the FF series.

No.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Volourn said:

So what if it does?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. Cosndieirng you were basically trashing Ff and a not so subtle way... it would be hialrious that the same qualities you praise in PST also occur in FF and did so first.

R00fles!

dipdipdip

Liturgist
I preferred Planescape's plot to FF VII's (which, I assume, is the one you're talking about).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I preferred Planescape's plot to FF VII's (which, I assume, is the one you're talking about)."

I'm not talking all of the Ff since they started getting soemthing semblinga story (ie. not FF1 heh).

I didn't say FF stories are better; i said that PST "borrows" a lot fo elements from FF.

I, too, prefer PST over FF7.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I don't compare Final Fantasy games to CRPGs. They are just so totally different.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"I don't compare Final Fantasy games to CRPGs. They are just so totally different."

That's weird since that's exactly what they are more or less.... :?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Eh. They are played on a computer. You play a role. They are a game.

Hence CRPG.

I win. Game over.

dipdipdip

Liturgist
Volourn said:
I'm not talking all of the Ff since they started getting soemthing semblinga story (ie. not FF1 heh).

Yeah, I just brought up VII, because that's the only one, off the top of my head, that I can remember involving the main character having amnesia to a really big extent. Unless, I dunno, you're talking about Zidane, Celes or Terra or some shit... :o

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Actually I think Terra had some amnesia problems. Celes, however, didn't. Zidane... nope. Though, Galuf and Lena from FFV had some, and so did almost the entire party of FFVIII because of Guardian Force exposure.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Actually I think Terra had some amnesia problems. Celes, however, didn't. Zidane... nope.

Terra did have an amnesia problem for sure. You pick up on that right at the start of the game. Kefka had her memory wiped and was using her to his own ends. She meets the Vesper however and it awakens enough of her memory for her to go "Woah!". Celes did have a bout of amnesia, but it didn't last long at all. It was just after she had been found on the beach by the old man after Kefka had brought the rains of destruction down on the planet. Like I said though, it didn't last long and she had it back by the time you got control of her. Heh. For awhile there I bet she definitely wished her memories had not come back.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Astromarine said:

Role-Player? Is that you?
I feel cold all of a sudden. Oh, so cold...

:lol: Blame it on mispent youth. While I don't play those games anymore, or most console RPGs either, I still remember some events from those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom