Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview BioWare on intense combat and overhauling AI

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: BioWare; Mass Effect 3

<p><a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310556/interviews/mass-effect-3-bioware-on-intense-combat-and-overhauling-ai/" target="_blank">Part III</a> of the Mass Effect 3 interview at CVG is up. This time BioWare gameplay designers Christina Norman (who in the meantime left BioWare for greener pastures and has been replaced by Preston Watamaniuk) and Corey Gaspur answer a few questions.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>And the system in the new game will make them harder to fight, even on Normal?</strong><br /><br />CN: Yeah. And in Mass Effect 3 it's not just that the game is harder on Insanity, it's that this creature actually behaves differently on higher difficulty levels. On those harder difficulty levels we can make the enemies exhibit specific behaviours more often, or even give them new behaviours that we think will work for a harder difficulty level, but which won't work for an easier one.<br /><br /><strong>And enemies are bigger too, right? A six hundred foot mini-Reaper and the new Atlas Mechs - how do you make such behemoths interesting to fight?</strong><br /><br />CN: Without going into the specifics of any of the enemies you'll face, I can say it needs to be more about smart ways of taking them down. If a large enemy is nothing but a bullet sponge where you shoot him until his hit points go to zero then that really doesn't work. If you can interact with the enemy in specific ways by shooting at weak points? Use the environment against them? Those are the factors that make larger enemies more interesting to fight.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Good luck, Christina and may you successfully scan your planets somewhere else.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Additionally here's a <a href="http://www.tentonhammer.com/me3/previews/the-epic-saga-continues" target="_blank">Mass Effect 3 preview</a> on TentonHammer.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Much like the second installment of the trilogy, combat has also undergone another upgrade. Still keeping the tactical flow from the previous games, the shooter gameplay will thankfully make it less of a necessity to constantly rely on the cover mechanic. In fact, one of the biggest crowd pleasers during the gameplay demo last month during E3 was Shepard&rsquo;s liberal use of the new omni-blade in close combat.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>With a more viable form of melee combat maneuvers finally in the mix, stealth will also be an option depending on which class you choose to play. Hopefully this means some of the badass stealth attacks that Kasumi Goto (a crew member introduced in the ME2 addon pack <em>Kasumi &ndash; Stolen Memory</em>) uses will become available for Shepard as well.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Unwanted

Atheist

Unwanted
Shitposter
4SHuN.jpg

o9ZMU.jpg

liIFe.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNCMf9BEkA0

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Atheist said:

Le fuck?

So, on the other hand, can I also turn my crew into a platoon of faggot-hating killing machines? Do I have that option? Or will I be forced to commandeer a bloody gang of hipsters?

Coyote

Arcane
@Jools: It's fake.

Or at least, that seemed to be the consensus in another thread.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I'd like to see how the improved AI works. I'm sure it will impress me.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The post about ME3 being a faggotry sim is fake, I'm sure. Dear god I hope it's fake. Although there will be some form of Buttsecks™ in it, as I'm sure all games are now required to have that. It's just not a Role Playing Gaem if you can't go in through the back door.

But from the believable stuff, I just love how an "RPG" will have EPIC boss fights where you have to use your reflexes to blast weak spots and then press A at the correct moment to drop a crane/ferris wheel/intergalactic cruise liner on their heads.

Probably all from behind some "randomly scattered", indestructible crates to which you will be attatched by a mysterious force.

BumChums

Barely Literate
I hope that buttsecks thing isn't fake, too much lulz will be had with reviewers justifying the beautiful ass rape sequence shepard experiences upon the normandy.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Coyote said:
@Jools: It's fake.

Or at least, that seemed to be the consensus in another thread.

Ok, I probably fell for it, but still, taking into account Bioware's recent choices and released games, it would totally make sense.

ortucis

Prophet
The only over-the-shoulder popamole shooters that had intense combat was Dark Sector and Cold Fear (sort of). RE-5 was "intense" but you are pretty much a immortal with your partner constantly respawning you when you are down.

Anyways, the point is. I REALLY doubt it that BioWare will put anything "intense" after sitting through ME2 and DA2 combat. Their audience is more interested in homosexual encounters than intense encounters.

racofer

Thread Incliner
If you can interact with the enemy in specific ways by shooting at weak points? Use the environment against them? Those are the factors that make larger enemies more interesting to fight.

So to kill Reapers, we're gonna have to repeatedly shoot at weak points until they die. Just like the human reaper in ME2...

Brilliant. :/

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
racofer said:
If you can interact with the enemy in specific ways by shooting at weak points? Use the environment against them? Those are the factors that make larger enemies more interesting to fight.

So to kill Reapers, we're gonna have to repeatedly shoot at weak points until they die. Just like the human reaper in ME2...

It's quite genius! The Protheans could build the Citadel but they couldn't figure out defeating the Reapers by shooting them in the upper right belly [Battle LA hurr]

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
racofer said:

It's that or QTE's mate. That EA$$$ has to go towards visceral/awesome/extreme romance cinematics to make some sales, not some stupid shit that doesn't appeal to the masses like gameplay :lol:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Anyway, no matter how shitty the game will be, they have not one but 3 scapegoats, which they will blame:

1.EA, the source of all Evil!
2.The Codex
3.4chan

As reserves:
4.CDProjekt and The Wiener 2
5.Steam Summer Sale
6.Volcanic Cloud from Iceland

Morgoth said:
racofer said:
Ehhh... the Reapers built the Citadel...
But how are giant space-crabs able to built anything?

[/Stares at filthy unwashed flaky hair/skin around the genitalia...] If these here pubic crabs can construct a miniture civilisation of this detail and sophistication, I'm sure their giant space-crab cousins can build the citadel.

More to the point, wouldn't techno-crabs > humanoids for building things, assuming that the engineering and design aspects are already hardcoded into their brains, and their 'body' is suitably resistant and strong enough for construction purposes. I got the impression that they were a techno-organic hybrid, perhaps with metallic limbs/shell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom