Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Using Dice-And-Paper Rules in a Computer RPG

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>Shortly after <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61476" target="_blank">Sinister Design's Craig Stern pondered the topic</a>, Jay Barnson from Rampant Games <a href="http://rampantgames.com/blog/?p=3028" target="_blank">offers his opinion</a> on the matter as well.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>Is D&amp;D sloppy and inscrutable? Maybe, but compared to what? Many RPGs I&rsquo;ve played, with custom combat systems, are even more inscrutable, and aren&rsquo;t transparent enough for me to judge whether or not they are sloppy. Maybe I know that when my strength goes up by X, my damage with my current weapon goes up by Y.&nbsp; But really, while I like seeing how numbers change, I don&rsquo;t track relationships and I don&rsquo;t really understand the relationships between values. This is especially true with action-RPGs, where I may not even be sure that a particular stat does <em>anything</em>. In fact, I think it was <strong>Ultima VII</strong> where the Dexterity score literally wasn&rsquo;t implemented to do anything in-game. But they left it in for the role-players.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>It&rsquo;s only because of the visibility into the D&amp;D system &ndash; or ability to deduce similar operations in other CRPG rules systems &ndash; that we can perceive any sloppiness in the system. And then there&rsquo;s the question of what really IS sloppy. You can argue that an exception-based ruleset is sloppy, but I think it&rsquo;s the exceptions that make the game interesting. If every magical attack does exactly 5 points of damage per spell level, there are few interesting decisions to be made there. But if this one spell actually does more damage than that, and breaks the consistency of the system &ndash; well, that&rsquo;s interesting.&nbsp; Assuming that the extra power comes at a cost, I&rsquo;d not call that sloppiness. I&rsquo;d call it an interesting decision.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Chess has some significant exceptions to otherwise simple, straightforward rules as well. What about the pawn&rsquo;s first move allowing 2 squares of movement instead of one? And the&nbsp;<em>en passant</em> rule needed to make that work? Pawns in general are pretty unusual compared to the other pieces. And castling? Those do seem, to me, to be departures from what was otherwise a very simple, streamlined set of rules. But I think they make the game much more interesting.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Sure, there&rsquo;s a point in any rules system where too many exceptions could become a convoluted mess.&nbsp; But most implementations in the past of D&amp;D-style rules variants into CRPGs were fairly basic. I don&rsquo;t know that many got too carried away. If anything, most really tried to simplify the D&amp;D rules system (and add their own variations) rather than going overboard with the complexity.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
tldr; D&D kinda sucks but is usable... And there is no RPG without RNG :)

Of course, some dude shows up in the comments, says he's been playing AD&D for 15 years, and then proceeds to comically misinterpret basic AD&D mechanics... Idiots, idiots never change.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I don't mind D&D either. I think it would be much better if developers used P&P systems on their RPGs as history has shown that most video game designers can't create a rule system worth a damn. I mean, look at SPECIAL for instance. It's a pretty good system in theory, but in practice it is unbalanced as hell, with a couple attributes and skills being tremendously better than the others and some just being completely useless (like traps or throwing, but I guess this has more to do with the implementation than the system itself). All this variety of skills and attributes, but everyone knows the ideal character maximizes IN/AG and tags small guns, energy weapons and speech (An exception is that I usually tagged unarmed in Fallout 2, to get through the Arroyo area faster and also because of the spiked knuckles you can get from the Dunton brothers).

I like some randomness too, I always preferred rolling against a difficulty instead of hard checks. The main argument against this: "it encourages save scumming". :roll:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don’t really understand the relationships between values.

The important part of the article right there.
He's just too lazy to read tooltips/learn the system before playing.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Excidium said:
All this variety of skills and attributes, but everyone knows the ideal character maximizes IN/AG and tags small guns, energy weapons and speech
Eh? In fallout 1 at least you don't need to tag small guns. If you absolutely need them, you're better off buying books to get the skill to a respectable level. If I want an early game edge I'd much rather tag barter so I can buy better equipment faster.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mastermind said:
Excidium said:
All this variety of skills and attributes, but everyone knows the ideal character maximizes IN/AG and tags small guns, energy weapons and speech
Eh? In fallout 1 at least you don't need to tag small guns. If you absolutely need them, you're better off buying books to get the skill to a respectable level. If I want an early game edge I'd much rather tag barter so I can buy better equipment faster.
Nah, Small Guns, Speech and Lockpick, also Small Frame and Finesse. Fuck energy weapons, the .223 pistol is the only gun I ever needed. :)

mondblut

Arcane
Since the sole purpose of a true RPG on a computer is to emulate a traditional RPG experience, using established rulesets and developed tabletop settings is encouraged, welcome and fully preferred to shitty systems and settings made up on a knee in one rainy evening.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
mondblut said:
Since the sole purpose of a true RPG on a computer is to emulate a traditional RPG experience, using established rulesets and developed tabletop settings is encouraged, welcome and fully preferred to shitty systems and settings made up on a knee in one rainy evening.
:salute:

I wonder about licensing prices, though. Considering any RPG released today using a pnp rulesystem would most likely be an independent title. Of course, there's free options like the D20 OGL (KOTC).

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
mondblut said:

:love:

getter77

Augur
Excidium said:
mondblut said:
:salute:

I wonder about licensing prices, though. Considering any RPG released today using a pnp rulesystem would most likely be an independent title. Of course, there's free options like the D20 OGL (KOTC).

I've yet to find anywhere online that organizes info like this to where prospective devs can think things through. Pathfinder, for instance, also has an OGL that should be at least as useful as the D20 one.

Thomas Biskup is also doing a P&P book/ruleset thing or so that I THINK was in some sort of open terms.

Whatever happened to...what was it....Tunnels & Trolls?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
felipepepe said:
Nah, Small Guns, Speech and Lockpick, also Small Frame and Finesse. Fuck energy weapons, the .223 pistol is the only gun I ever needed. :)

No Gifted? Fail.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
DragoFireheart said:
felipepepe said:
No Gifted? Fail.
I don't like Gifted. It's great for an combat character, but make anything else lame, and I prefer the "Jack of all trades, master of none" approuch in Fallout.

getter77

Augur
MMXI said:
getter77 said:
Whatever happened to...what was it....Tunnels & Trolls?
Funnily enough there was a cRPG based on it by New World Computing.

Oops, I meant since then, as IIRC there was a Codex Let's Play that got at least partway awhile back---they really need to get this on GoG methinks given the going rate on their site for a CD with scans is $10.

Couldn't quite make out at a glance from their site, which seems to be pretty updated in terms of the rulebooks and content and such, as to if it can be adapted for games in an OGL style or something else going forward for a more modern crack at it with said updated materials.

http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/tandt.htm

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Pretty sure 7.5 (latest edition, came out in 2007 I think) isn't OGL (there was a big shit fight about stolen art in a variant edition a couple years ago and St. Andre pulled the licence from the manufacturers), but it wouldn't be difficult to borrow a few ideas. Sort of like OSRIC, etc.
Not sure how well pure T&T would translate to CRPGs though (I never did play the adaptation, so maybe someone could elaborate) as the basic combat mechanic is crushingly simple and the game relies heavily on the 'saving roll' mechanic and player ingenuity to make it more interesting.

DraQ

Arcane
The problem with PnP rules is that they are ill suited for computer as a platform.

PnP rules tend to be maximally simplified in terms of computation effort, while computer can handle much more complexity here.
Conversely, PnP rules are often imprecise, comprised of many separated and unrelated sub-mechanics, which isn't a problem to human DM, but a computer needs everything spelled out and connections between submechanics explicit.

Sure, things like exactly right amount of randomness are good, but dedicated cRPG systems that fail the worst are those that try to streamline and disambiguate without actually capitalizing on computers' computational mettle and without departing PnP mindset. In effect, rather than rise to become the next big thing, they drop from PnP-on-computer to boardgame-on-computer.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The problem with PnP rules is that they are ill suited for computer as a platform."

This bullshit has been disproven multiple times over and over and over again yet people will still retartetly mention it as fact.

So, in essence, fuck off with your retartetness.

FatCat

Educated
TOEE imo has one of the best combat-wise gameplay if not the best , i see no problem with using D&D in video games it's definitely fleshed out system (2nd or 3.5 ed).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom