Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review 30 Fallout: New Vegas Old World Blues Reviews

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Fallout: New Vegas; Obsidian Entertainment

<p><a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/103999-fallout-new-vegas-old-world-blues.html" target="_blank">Gamebanshee reviewed</a> the latest DLC for <strong>Fallout: New Vegas</strong>, <strong>Old World Blues</strong>.</p>
<blockquote>
<p>With Chris Avellone back in the writer's chair, it was pretty much expected that the brand-new Fallout: New Vegas DLC, Old World Blues, would sport a more adventurous design than Honest Hearts, and perhaps even the survival-horror experiment that was Dead Money. The end result, though, is perhaps even a little overboard for what most fans of the series could have expected - it's equal parts Planescape: Torment in terms of morbid absurdity, and 1950s cheeseball sci-fi film. Despite the odd combination, though, Old World Blues is the strongest DLC for New Vegas yet. The real question isn't so much "should you get it", but what it represents for the Fallout franchise, and for its fans.<br /><br />Like all previous DLCs, Old World Blues begins with the Courier receiving a radio invitation, this time to a midnight screening of an old film, drive-in style. Upon arriving for the event, however, it's pretty clear that things aren't all they seem, with a crashed satellite projecting a strange image on-screen. Like clockwork, the Courier loses consciousness, and, after the opening title crawl, finds him or herself clad in a hospital gown, surgical scars still healing, overlooking an unfamiliar industrial wasteland from above. That wasteland, the Big Empty, or more correctly, Big Mountain, is an ancient pre-War science complex, home to all sorts of lost technology, housed in forgotten laboratories.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Where are the other 29 reviews, you jerky jerkfaced jerkoff? Jerk?

Also: just finished OWB. Very good.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
10, 20, 30. I hope that's intentional. What's next, then? "40 reasons to care about Mass Effect 3"?

KevinV12000

Arcane
I'm very glad Obsidian is getting high marks, very well deserved in this instance, but I can't help but notice that Dead Money is constantly put down. I don't understand that. The characters were among the best in CRPG history, certainly they are very memorable. The story was interesting, picking up on earlier clues regarding Elijah. The setting was a marvel. The voice acting alone was top notch. It worries me that so many people seem to think it was "meh."

In today's gaming environment, Dead Money and the other FO:NV DLC offerings are nothing short of miracles.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
KevinV12000 said:
I'm very glad Obsidian is getting high marks, very well deserved in this instance, but I can't help but notice that Dead Money is constantly put down. I don't understand that. The characters were among the best in CRPG history, certainly they are very memorable. The story was interesting, picking up on earlier clues regarding Elijah. The setting was a marvel. The voice acting alone was top notch. It worries me that so many people seem to think it was "meh."

In today's gaming environment, Dead Money and the other FO:NV DLC offerings are nothing short of miracles.
They just don't get it. :) Dead Money is quite different both in gameplay and in atmosphere than other parts of the main game.

Radisshu

Prophet
I've just started playing Dead Money and I think it's great so far.

KevinV12000

Arcane
J_C said:
They just don't get it. :) Dead Money is quite different both in gameplay and in atmosphere than other parts of the main game.

Yes, I think this is right. I keep forgetting that most people's introduction into these games was the gawd-awful Fallout 3; so, yes, something like Dead Money would simply not compute for them.

I understand that because something like Fallout 3 simply doesn't compute for me. It was like watching a Fallout game through Magical Glasses of Intelligence Lowering -8. :D

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
KevinV12000 said:

:salute: Dead Money actually changed my perception of DLC in general. It's finally actually something new, instead of the $10 map/moustache/hat/horse armor packs you should get for free anyways. I've only just started OWB but it's looking promising, despite the lulziness. Everyone who thinks Dead Money is " just meh" should go back to eating dicks, playing "Fallout" 3 or whatever they were doing before and leave the gaming to the big boys.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Dead Money was, like Old World Blues, a great experiment, both from a narrative standpoint and a gameplay standpoint. Unfortunately, the New Vegas engine is just not the place to attempt a survival horror shooter, and overall I thought it kind of overstayed its welcome. I can fully understand why some people hated it though - it's not because they're "too dumb to appreciate it", it's because it genuinely does have faults and is relatively poorly executed, with extremely confusing level design, monotonous and drab environments, way too much ammo and health is given out to keep tension up so it all kind of turns into a slog to the end, etc. The narrative quality was enough for me to overlook the gameplay faults, but I can't say I'm looking forward to ever playing it again.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes it has it's faults, the level design of the villa being one. But, compare it to other DLC out there...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Dead Money is easily the best DLC made thus far, simply for the characters, story and writing. The ending slides alone make it worth it. I'd say the ending slide you get if you killed Dean Domino is probably the best one the Fallout series has had so far. Then again, so is the final slide you get if either all companions live or die.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
sea said:
Dead Money was, like Old World Blues, a great experiment, both from a narrative standpoint and a gameplay standpoint. Unfortunately, the New Vegas engine is just not the place to attempt a survival horror shooter, and overall I thought it kind of overstayed its welcome. I can fully understand why some people hated it though - it's not because they're "too dumb to appreciate it", it's because it genuinely does have faults and is relatively poorly executed, with extremely confusing level design, monotonous and drab environments, way too much ammo and health is given out to keep tension up so it all kind of turns into a slog to the end, etc. The narrative quality was enough for me to overlook the gameplay faults, but I can't say I'm looking forward to ever playing it again.

Where exactly was OWB an experiment? It was pretty much everything what FO3 or people who find a town full of Kung Fu People awesome wanted, plus phat lewt and whacky stuff everywhere. I agree with Dead Money (which is one of the best RPG experiences I've had for years), but OWB?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
sea said:

Indeed. I enjoyed Dead Money for its story and characters, and for what it tried to do, but the execution was very flawed. It just wasn't fun to play most of the time, which is an understandable deal-breaker for the majority of gamers.

I haven't started OWB yet. Halfway through Honest Hearts right now, which is pretty much just like Point Lookout from FO3.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Surf Solar said:
Where exactly was OWB an experiment? It was pretty much everything what FO3 or people who find a town full of Kung Fu People awesome wanted, plus phat lewt and whacky stuff everywhere. I agree with Dead Money (which is one of the best RPG experiences I've had for years), but OWB?
It's an experiment as far as tone and humour goes. Fallout 3 was silly, but Old World Blues is practically a comedy strapped onto a Fallout core. Also, I suppose when I said it was an experiment, I mean that it's more an experiment from Obsidian's perspective - everyone already knows Bethesda like to do retarded shit, but Obsidian generally keep their games fairly grounded. And unlike Bethesda, when Obsidian experiments, there's usually at least some redeeming qualities to be had.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom