Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview NWN 2 interview: Secrets revealed!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Neverwinter Nights 2; Obsidian Entertainment

There is a brand new <a href=http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=406587&forum=95>NWN 2 interview</a> on brand new NWN 2 forums that were moved to Bioware for some odd reasons, thus starting rumors that Obsidian is nothing but a sock puppet. Anyway, without further ado, <b>Ferret Baudoin(k)</b> and his amazing NWN 2 project:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>I hear that NWN2 will bring NWN up to Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 version rules. Is this true, and what unexpected obstacles has changing the core rules created?</b>
<br>
<br>
This is true - NWN2 fully supports the 3.5 rules. All the rules changes are spec’d out now and are in the programmers' queue for implementation. NWN did a great job of converting 3rd edition to computer game form, and so the original game has put us in a great position to update the game to incorporate the new rules. The news on this front is refreshingly boring because there haven't really been any obstacles in this arena so far.</blockquote>Of course, there are no obstacles when you bastardize rules to make sure that you don't have any obstacles. Duh!
<br>
<br>
Dig the propaganda:
<br>
<blockquote><b>What is BioWare's involvement in NWN2?</b>
<br>
<br>
At the start of the project BioWare provided us with the NWN engine and the Aurora Toolset and has supported us with understanding and modifying both of those. Our designers are extremely happy to be able to use the fantastic tools they made. I don't think people realize how difficult some development tools can be. Anyone using Aurora is getting to use some of the best tools in the business. And our programming team is dedicated to making them even better. BioWare has been very supportive and great to work with both on Star Wars:Knights of the Old Republic 2 and NWN2.</blockquote>
<br>
<br>

Jinxed

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
NWN did a great job of converting 3rd edition to computer game form, and so the original game has put us in a great position to update the game to incorporate the new rules. The news on this front is refreshingly boring because there haven't really been any obstacles in this arena so far.

Is that a joke?

Reklar

Liturgist
Jinxed said:
Vault Dweller said:
NWN did a great job of converting 3rd edition to computer game form, and so the original game has put us in a great position to update the game to incorporate the new rules. The news on this front is refreshingly boring because there haven't really been any obstacles in this arena so far.

Is that a joke?

Nothing concerning Bioware...err...Obsidian interviews about their game development is ever a joke, don'tcha know? :shock:

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Surlent

Liturgist
So Bioware hosts NWN2 forums on their site ? :shock:
What the hell ?
Is Obsidian now a division of Interp..er.. I....mean..... Bioware ?

I checked Obsidian, their NWN2 forums are gone.
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=28826

This is Phosphor's (Obsidian mod's) comments about the forum change (from the thread link above).
Phosphor said:
It was a marketing decision by Atari. They felt it would be prudent for the NWN "community" to be located in one place, rather than spread over two seperate sites.
It has nothing to do with Bioware taking over or Obisidian not being able to afford the bandwidth or anything like that.

taks

Liturgist
well, this actually makes sense from a business standpoint. think about it, obsidian has about 7000 registered forum posters while bioware has nearly 2 million. much easier to get exposure to the game. the NWN community at bioware is extremely active, too...

i'd call this a no-brainer.

taks

Avin

Liturgist
i'm not very fond of moving my drow bashing campaign to the nazi BIO forums...

callehe

Liturgist
i'd call this a no-brainer.

Yep, Obsidian really seem to have neither any brains or will of their own. Their only function so far have obviously been to suck up to Bioware.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Phosphor's assumption is groundless. It was likely a decision made between all 3 parties and not Atari's alone.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Jinxed said:
Vault Dweller said:

Is that a joke?

Hahaha! That's EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read that. :P

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
You guys are reading that quote all wrong. What they mean is they haven't started coding up the 3.5 ruleset yet, thus they haven't run into any problems.

XMark

Novice
Vault Dweller said:
NWN did a great job of converting 3rd edition to computer game form,

MUAAA HAA HAA HAA HAAAAAAA! hee hee hee hooo hoo ha! *dies*

dagamer667

Liturgist
Since they mentioned the toolset, does that mean they are still going for the cookie cutter design?

Spazmo

Erudite
That's a good question. You wouldn't think they could get away with issuing a full price game whose only difference from the previous one is a rules update, but then again Wizards did it with D&D 3.5 pretty successfully.

almondblight

Arcane
Spazmo said:
That's a good question. You wouldn't think they could get away with issuing a full price game whose only difference from the previous one is a rules update, but then again Wizards did it with D&D 3.5 pretty successfully.

Yeah, this:

"At the start of the project BioWare provided us with the NWN engine and the Aurora Toolset and has supported us with understanding and modifying both of those. Our designers are extremely happy to be able to use the fantastic tools they made."

Makes me think they said to themselves, "Hey, how can we release another expansion pack but hype it up a lot?"
"Hey! Let's call it NWN2 and throw around catch phrases like 'new' and 'innovative'! "

Of course, there are plenty of lukewarm sequels, but Obsidian seems to be making nice headway into that market.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Just to let people know if you didn't already, though they are using the Aurora Engine the graphics part of the engine is pretty much all know. I believe Obsidian has even named it. At least that's what they say. :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom