Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry VIII Free on DVD

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Wizardry 8

RPGDot (damn, I need to start getting my own news) reports that the 8th game in the Wizardry series is available on the cover DVD of the latest issue of German print magazine <a href=http://www.pcgames.de/>PC Games</a>. The game is presumed to be the English version because a German version was never officially released.

Ellester

Liturgist
Wiz8 rocks!

Anyway, They are selling Wizardry 8 again. Encore Entertainment is now publishing the game (they weren’t the original publishers). Kinda encouraging that someone else picked up the game to sell.

Reklar

Liturgist
Is Wizardry 8 a cRPG, adventure, or something else (I've forgotten unfortunately)? Also, how are we supposed to get a copy of PC Games from Germany? Do they ship overseas to the US by any chance?

-Reklar
(a Fallout/RPG fan)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Heh, I've just started playing Wizardry I-II-III on a SNES emulator :)...

Wizardry 8 is a very combat-heavy (phase-based iirc) CRPG in FPP.

Ellester

Liturgist
yea it is phased based combat. Also worth mentioning it's a party based game with recrutable NPC's.

It's has a pretty decent character development system too.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Jed said:
WARNING: Wizardry 8 has a heavy Furry influence. You are warned.

But fur is GOOD - it keeps you warm when its cold :D

But seriously: At least it has its own background and races etc, you don't have to be a cliched elf, dwarf, or hobbit if you don't want to (though they do exist). Be a mook, felpurr, rawulf, or one of those little things that look kinda like a squirrel (forgot the name).

Embrace the fur!! Get Wizardry 8!!

(Also, combat speed can be altered in-game : make it fully turn/phase based when in a critical scrap, make it pretty much real-time when you know the enemy are insignificant. And the story has multiple endings (okay, you decide in the last level!), but during the game enemies can become friends and vice-a-versa according to where you are in the plot and who you decide to ally with. )

Jed

Cipher
I had a fairy ninja in my party when I tried to play. I couldn't finish it though, the combat just got overwhelmingly difficult at some point in that city with all the talk dark humanoid things attacking. Same dialogue system as Morrowind, too.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Jed said:
I had a fairy ninja in my party when I tried to play. I couldn't finish it though, the combat just got overwhelmingly difficult at some point in that city with all the talk dark humanoid things attacking. Same dialogue system as Morrowind, too.

Hehe...Fairy Ninjas...so crazy sounding that you've just gotta try it out to see if its feasible...

Yeah, flexible dialogue was not its strong point.

Not certain which city you're talking about. Could be the closest city to where you start, and at some point the Dark Savant's android underlings start pouring out of his tower.

Thats one problem it did have though, because you could wander almost anywhere it was possible to find yourself in a situation far too tough for where your party is at.
And early "wandering" encounters could be a bit hard. But once I started getting somewhere interms of char development things evened up quite a bit.

I seem to remember Wizards and Warriors and Wizardry 7 being similar in that respect.

Nothing wrong with a challenge though, I guess.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Jed said:
the combat just got overwhelmingly difficult at some point in that city with all the talk dark humanoid things attacking.
My experience exactly. It didn't have any sense, maybe it would have been justified later... And I also think that creating a party that would have any chance in this game's combat would take many restarts. And I have an original copy and I've read the manual; it still seemed to me that despite my best efforts e.g. the engineer or how it was called was useless in combat.

Jed

Cipher
So many fucking combats I played over and over in that game. It, single-handedly, made me hate phase-based. I actually did like the Engineer class. I had an Engineer Mook, and I really liked that gun, especially how you shoot almost anything out of: shuriken, darts, daggers even!...

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
it still seemed to me that despite my best efforts e.g. the engineer or how it was called was useless in combat.

I used to have debates with my friend about the Engineer. We each had a party with a similar make-up, with the difference being that he took a Bard where I had an Engineer.

He won the early arguments - the Bard was rather useful with his healing songs and shit while camping - but later on the Engineer was capable of having Insta-death(tm) guns and other very poweful weaponry. He ate his words towards the end of the game :)

triCritical

Erudite
I think I am going to start up my 25th Wiz8 party soon. I love that game. And if too much combat is bad, then why the fuck do people like Bioware games??

Sarvis

Erudite
triCritical said:
I think I am going to start up my 25th Wiz8 party soon. I love that game. And if too much combat is bad, then why the fuck do people like Bioware games??

Because the combat isn't very good? ;)

Man... Volourns gonna rip me a new one for THAT! ;)

But yeah, in NWN combat kinda sucked. Eventually you either ended up playing modules for the story and character building or hated the game. Baldur's Gate combat was better, but still not nearly as fun as a good turn based system.

The question isn't how much combat, but how fun the combat is. If combat is fun, bring it on. If not, well then I probably already stopped playing... heh.

space captain

Liturgist
U. S. of Fuckin' A. ...and dont forget it or we'l
waaaay too much random combat in Wiz 8... it totally fucked the whole experience IMO.. i was actually quite interested in the storyline and the various non-linear questing for the factions, but the required hours of combat per minutes of exploration just slowed everything down to the point where you eventually say "screw it"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom