Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Classic Games Remade dev blog

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Tags: OlderBytes; Swords and Sorcery: Underworld

<p>Charles from Classic Games Remade sends word he's eagerly awaiting your enlightened comments on his new<a href="http://www.classicgamesremade.com/new-graphical-standard-and-other-things.html"> dev blog</a>. Right now you can see there how the graphical update of <a href="http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=223">Sword and Sorcery: Underworld</a> is coming along.</p>

Morkar Left

It looks really well now. Nothing to complain here for a blob game. I'm curious how the monsters and their integration looks like.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
If it is large, offers lots of tactical choices and puzzles I'll buy for sure.

Repressed Homosexual
Nice update, but I won't replay the whole game just to enjoy the update.

Charles is a swell guy though. Wish he'll get working on the sequel ASAP.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Good that he took the criticism of the crap sprites and general graphical shittiness to heart here on the Codex.

Who says we can't be an inspirational force for positive change?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Thanks everyone for your comments & encouragements. And Elwro once more for the spotlight!

Yes, the unique combination of beatings, nosebleeds, encouragements and exposure on the Codex was instrumental in inspiring positive change ;)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Much better looking. I may buy it depending how well it does.

Flatlander

Liturgist
That looks almost too good :salute: If the rest of the graphics fit the style this is a huge improvement, presentation wise. The font is still somehow off, imho.

Charles-cgr: I assume this wasn't cheap, given that you had lots of images to remake?

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Not cheap but as soon as I found a workable solution I couldn't resist going as far with it as I could. Breaking even seems realistic, so the risk is acceptable.The sequel will require a re-investment but a lot of the UW graphics will be reuseable.

Turning a sustainable profit is a different story though - only time will tell.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ill say it again , the kicking , harassing and abusing brought fruits. Its indeed much better looking.I assume the workable solution was to kidnap an eastern country artist and lock him/her in the cellar to do the work. It show results, that interface is what we expect a MM2 clone to look like.Now you should show us some of the bestiary.
For making it profitable i suggest steam and an iphone port , pricing around 5$.
Not much isnt it ? but you should see that on steam even the mighty jeff vogel is selling his latest baby avadon for 5$, you can say what you want of it , its not his best game ,but still a solid one, i find it a bit humiliating to sell it at this price but thats how things works .If sword and sorcery underworld bestiary is on par with the interfae then i think you can expect quite a few thousands sales on steam 5$ x5000 on a site everyone see everyday, or 20$ x100 on your website, no one knows about ...

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unfortunately my playthrough was a bit interrupted, but I am still looking to make a long post about all that's wrong with Underworld once I finish it.

Graphics update is nice, although I am more concerned with gameplay. I also wonder what that means for the visual representation of monsters, as there's some I quite like as they're now.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Oooh, looks nice! Unfortunately my backlog of dungeon crawlers is rather large, but I'll keep this one in mind.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
I didn't kidnap anyone, I swear :) The artist is from the Philippines, which has been kind of a problem since he's been riding to work on a rowboat thanks to typhoon season. Still, his stuff is great and that's much more important than setbacks that could cause a couple weeks delay.

Avadon sells for 6.99 Euros on Steam (about $10?). If they pick it up I'll have no problem reconsidering price - it makes perfect sense.Heck I'll probably reconsider price anyway. I'll try to contact them but I'm no Vogel yet so I'm not entirely optimistic. I hear they tend to ignore indies more often than not.

Claw, your feedback is always welcome.There's a large window of opportunity fo rfixes and new implementations before final release.A long post about all that's wrong... Ouch, that's kind of scary... I haven't forgotten your past suggestions either. I remember there were a couple bugs I decided to leave for the final update as they didn't seem too serious.Also I'll be rebalancing a few things to maintain difficulty longer. The party gets too powerful too quickly still I think.

I'll post a beastie in an upcoming post, as soon as my cavern environment is done (I'm implementing lighting effects). In short the monsters will show much as they do now, except they'll actually have their feet on the ground (when they have feet). There are about 25 done so far (out of about 100). I'm pretty sure there'll be some you'll quite like still - just not necessarily the same ones. Also there are other assets like the stores, another set of walls and 48 character illustrations (one for each combination of class - race - gender.)

Gragt - hurry, you've got 2-3 months to clear your backlog ;)

Repressed Homosexual
Yeah Charles the party got way too powerful in the end, as I told you a few months ago it got a bit ridiculous, I killed the final boss in like two turns. It's especially the bleed ability of the rogue/thief that is ridiculous since the damage it does stacks up endlessly.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
The difference between the original release and the overhaul is like night and day. I eagerly await more screens.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
:thumbsup:
If you have ironed out most of the issues in the game balance I'd say that this is a must buy.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Excidium said:
The monster sprites look really nice.

Thanks! I'll be sure to pass that on to the artist!

Jack said:
If you have ironed out most of the issues in the game balance I'd say that this is a must buy.

If you're referring to the endgame being too easy that is one of the things I'm reworking now. The art will still take a while so it gives me some time for that, and the sequel I keep talking about but have nothing to show for yet :)

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I don't want to continue playing until you release a new version now.

I really appreciate how much the monsters resemble themselves despite the different art style, although I miss the metallic look on the Abyssal Horror.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Claw said:
Wow, I don't want to continue playing until you release a new version now.

I really appreciate how much the monsters resemble themselves despite the different art style, although I miss the metallic look on the Abyssal Horror.

Wait 'til you see the Wyrm that just came in ;)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Aww^^ . These monsters are so cute ^^ !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom