Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Frayed Knights: The Skull of S'makh-Daon Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Frayed Knights

<p>Another <a href="http://bnbgaming.com/2011/09/16/the-indie-fix-interview-with-frayed-knights-developer-jay-barnson/" target="_blank">pre-release interview</a> with Jay Barnson on Frayed Knights surfaced over at Bits &amp; Bytes Gaming.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>BnB: You have a remark&shy;ably refresh&shy;ing approach to dis&shy;cus&shy;sions about gam&shy;ing and RPGs in your blog. Instead of thread&shy;ing a care&shy;ful, diplo&shy;matic line, you express your thoughts clearly and with lit&shy;tle cen&shy;sor&shy;ship, stat&shy;ing exactly what you like, don&rsquo;t like, and want more of in mod&shy;ern RPGs. Though I can imag&shy;ine this helps you with the core audi&shy;ence, do you ever find it get&shy;ting you in trou&shy;ble with a more main&shy;stream mar&shy;ket or industry?</strong><br /><br /><strong>JB:</strong> Espe&shy;cially when said devel&shy;oper I might be talk&shy;ing about comes to visit! Talk about awkward!<br /><br />Hon&shy;estly, I really don&rsquo;t know how much trou&shy;ble it gets me into. I have a lot of friends who are still in the main&shy;stream games biz, and I don&rsquo;t think my views are always too far out-of-line with their own. A lot of main&shy;stream devel&shy;op&shy;ers and design&shy;ers get frus&shy;trated work&shy;ing on Sequel #7 of Best-Selling Fran&shy;chise or its clone, and have a lot of ideas of what games ought to be like that are noth&shy;ing like their assigned project. But you are being paid to make a par&shy;tic&shy;u&shy;larly prod&shy;uct, not your own game.<br /><br />Ken Rol&shy;ston recently spoke of the equiv&shy;a&shy;lent of a &ldquo;closet drama&rdquo; for games&hellip; things he would love to take the time to design just for the joy of doing so, but which he har&shy;bors no hope what&shy;so&shy;ever of get&shy;ting funded or pro&shy;duced. That&rsquo;s the joy of being indie &mdash; you can work on those &ldquo;closet dra&shy;mas.&rdquo; Sure, they may be com&shy;pletely non&shy;vi&shy;able as a multi-million dol&shy;lar project. And they may not even be com&shy;mer&shy;cially viable as a low-budget indie game. But as an indie, your small size can work to your advan&shy;tage cre&shy;atively. Maybe some&shy;thing doesn&rsquo;t have an audi&shy;ence of a mil&shy;lion cus&shy;tomers. But it doesn&rsquo;t need to.<br /><br />I&rsquo;m more con&shy;cerned with honk&shy;ing off my own audi&shy;ence when I com&shy;plain about some&shy;thing one week, and then turn&shy;ing around and do it myself a week later, sim&shy;ply because it&rsquo;s eas&shy;ier. So some&shy;times I&rsquo;m the tar&shy;get of my own rants!</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Valid question. Nowadays expressing dissatisfaction with current cRPG offerings by mainstream developers can get you into trouble. With death-threats and everything.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Have I ever mentioned that this RampantCoyote dude doesn't answer to PMs or eMails?</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/104851-frayed-knights-the-skull-of-smakh-daon.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

RampantCoyote

Novice
I don't???

Do your emails contain the words, "Enlargement" or "Her pleasure" or anything like that?

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
RPG Codex: the forum where developpers come to apologise about an overzealous spam filter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unlike Ken, Jay actually develops the good old 'closet dramas' rather than generic God of War clones.

Shuma

Scholar
The Skull of Smackdown? Really?

I guess it's supposed to be goofy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom