Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Brian Mitsoda Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Brian Mitsoda; DoubleBear Productions

<p>DoubleBear's Brian Mitsoda <a href="http://grupo97.org/articulos/jdr/522-brian-mitsoda-interview" target="_blank">gets interviewed</a> by Grupo97. Topics include Bloodlines, Dead State and gaming in general.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><strong>In past decades, particularly in the late 90's and early 2000, creativity was the main factor for many video games, whereas in the current decade that creativity seems to be aimed only by certain independent studies. Do you agree?</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>Yes and no. I love a lot of games from that time period, and there were a ton of unique titles coming out at that time. But, of course, we only remember the best games and even some of those don&rsquo;t hold up that well when we play them now. As for creativity, there&rsquo;s no shortage of it out there &ndash; developers have tons of good ideas and you can see that in the explosion of indie titles &ndash; but the costs have escalated to unheard of amounts and the money is always going to bet on the safe projects. I guess as a side effect, the mass market has put pressure on developers to make the controls and interface as intuitive as possible, which has led to less frustrating games with good ideas buried under horrible control schemes, and as a result, there are more people playing games. Some of those gamers get bored of the mainstream offerings and move on to check out smaller projects, which is great for the indie community and creates a consumer base for more unconventional games. In turn, a lot of the success of those smaller projects will occasionally ripple into the mainstream development community.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><strong>Vampire Bloodlines was not released in optimal conditions and that affected the sales. You once said a member of Activision was constantly in the studio supervising everything, as the launching date approached. Too many pressures?</strong></p>
<p><strong><br /></strong></p>
<p>Well, some of that was due to deadlines, and a lot of it was the team&rsquo;s own devotion to putting out the best possible game they could in the time remaining. That turned into a lot of late nights on our own time to try and make the game better. In the end, there was only so much we could do or were allowed to do and it was taken out of our hands. Would more time have helped? Yeah, most developers will always want more time to polish their games and Bloodlines needed some more time. We were also released against multiple big name sequels (Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 3) and that kind of hurt our initial sales too, so holding the title to a less crowded release window would have helped too. I have no idea what the sales figures are now, but I&rsquo;m betting that Bloodlines has beat sales expectations over time.</p>
</blockquote>
<p><em>Thanks to Santiago.</em></p>

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Again, this stems from money issues. Publishers fund games, producers and marketing teams decide that “X” sells more copies, and the developer puts it in the game if they want to get paid.

:salute:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I love a lot of games from that time period, and there were a ton of unique titles coming out at that time.
VD has also played a lot of older games. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Redshirt #42

Augur
Dicksmoker said:
I love a lot of games from that time period, and there were a ton of unique titles coming out at that time.
VD has also played a lot of older games. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.
It's all bullshit anyway. VD is a lot prettier than Brian.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
We were also released against multiple big name sequels (Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 3) and that kind of hurt our initial sales too, so holding the title to a less crowded release window would have helped too.
Was Bloodlines really going for the Half-Life/Halo/MGS audience? Because if it was, they messed up big time on a lot of things.

I can’t think of many movies that hold up for three films, but I will buy Saint’s Row 3 the day it comes out.
:salute: I'll be waiting to make sure the port's solid of course.

Disconnected

Scholar
Roguey said:
We were also released against multiple big name sequels (Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Metal Gear Solid 3) and that kind of hurt our initial sales too, so holding the title to a less crowded release window would have helped too.
Was Bloodlines really going for the Half-Life/Halo/MGS audience? Because if it was, they messed up big time on a lot of things.

Looking back it doesn't seem at all unlikely that developers & publishers didn't have much insight into their intended audiences. Might also explain why it feels to me like I've played through every major release of the past & future 5 years...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
UtrlP.gif

Ringhausen

Augur
Roguey said:

I remember giving Bloodlines to a buddy who only played shooters, RTSs, Diablo etc and he loved it. It has quite a broad appeal and could've sold tons, but at the time everyone were talking about omgomg how you get the crowbar in Half Life 2.

kaizoku

Arcane
Slenkar said:
No one asked him the important questions like
-what underwear does annie wear?
-what is it like to have a girlfriend?
Wait a sec... Is Brian doing Annie?

those are
fabulous-dude.jpg
news

rpgcodex: the pink side of the RPG press world

Krash

Arcane
As for the community, almost every semi-popular game (and a few not so popular ones) seem to have some level of community support and the requisite nude skins.

Brian knows his audience :thumbsup:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom