Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Interplay vs. Bethesda, legal battle info

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Interplay; Project V13

<p>Yes, the legal battle between those... titans <a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/26/work-on-fallout-mmo-can-continue-for-now-bethesda-injunction-ap/" target="_blank">continues</a>. For the time being it looks like Interplay can continue their work on a Fallout MMO.</p>
<p> </p>
<blockquote>
<p>There's been so much written about Interplay's nebulous Fallout MMO in the context of tedious litigation, it almost seems to welcome the franchise's thorough, irradiated reduction of modern society. But for those interested in legal tussles, here's where we stand today: Fallout property owner (and former licensee) Bethesda was recently denied a preliminary injunction against Interplay, which would have denied Fallout Online use of the franchise's story, characters and other identifiable elements for a limited time. Today, an appeal against that decision was denied.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>United States Court of Appeals documents show that Bethesda's aim was to show "the district court abused its discretion and misapplied the law in concluding that Bethesda failed to establish a likelihood of irreparable harm." And while the property owner continued to delve into fears over Interplay's suspect financial stability (a potential source of said irreparable harm), today's outcome similarly found Bethesda's claims unconvincing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The legal saga is still far from over, as Bethesda and Interplay must still settle their polluted licensing relationship and come to a conclusion regarding the possible release of Interplay's work -- which may continue for now, but still requires "express permission" from Bethesda to launch. What state the world (both inside and outside the game) will be in by the time the courts clear things up is anyone's guess.</p>
</blockquote>
<p> </p>

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The U.S. federal courts move at glacial speed. It could takes years.

Bulba

Learned
I thought that interplay went bankrupt eons ago. I'm glad to hear they are still around. do they have any other projects?

Hopefully by the end of next century they will be done. My only hope is the elixir of eternal youth.

Texas Red

Whiner
Bulba said:
I thought that interplay went bankrupt eons ago. I'm glad to hear they are still around. do they have any other projects?

Newfag detected. Asked DU to ban Bulba.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
At lease Bethesda is consistent. Their legal team is just as incompetent as their game development team.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You would think bethesda would grow some balls and grow he fuck up and move on. No matter how the FOMMO turns out it will not effect Betehsda's own Fos. FFS Get over it, you fukkin' lost for the millionth time, youa re wasting all your profuitz from Oblivion, FO3, and LV over this shit? LMFAO

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
As long as none of Cain, Boyarsky, Taylor, MCA, Sawyer et al are working on it, these two douchebags are just fighting over a corpse IMO. I couldn't give a fuck about any game made by either Bethesda or Interplay.

Jesus, if Bethesda put half the effort into building a solid RPG as they do into marketing and failed lawsuits...

misha

Educated
well it's good to hear that Bethesda failed in court, but I am a little bit worried about Interplay condition.

Check their website and get a thrill to discover such miracles of cyber-joy as:

Crazy Cats Love (that has to be hot!)
BattleChess (you can choose between 3 [!] unique backgrounds! - guess how do they look like...)
Homesteader (everybody loves farmville so everybody will play farmpuzzles!)

-ah... and ofcourse Fallout Online

flabbyjack

Arcane
Volourn said:
You would think bethesda would grow some balls and grow he fuck up and move on. No matter how the FOMMO turns out it will not effect Betehsda's own Fos. FFS Get over it, you fukkin' lost for the millionth time, youa re wasting all your profuitz from Oblivion, FO3, and LV over this shit? LMFAO
Bethsoft knew exactly the deal they were making for the Fallout IP(intellectual property). It's not a matter of 'giving up', they are trying to screw Interplay with an iron stick because if Interplay dies they get all the monies, hell that story is more interesting than what either companies' writers could produce. But I'll tell you this -- Interplay is regretting not selling the Fallout IP to Obsidian for less money.

Good luck to Bethsoft when they try to purchase new IPs! Cause that ain't happening. "Hey Drakensang, I hear you need a new game developer! Well have we got a deal for you... *SUE SUE SUE* Ours now, bitch."

I didn't see anything in the deal about requiring Bethsoft's approval before releasing Fallout MMO, so that must come from a court order, but Interplay won all the legal battles and Bethsoft failed at all their injunctions. *confused*

curry

Arcane
flabbyjack said:
Good luck to Bethsoft when they try to purchase new IPs! Cause that ain't happening. "Hey Drakensang, I hear you need a new game developer! Well have we got a deal for you... *SUE SUE SUE* Ours now, bitch."

why the hell would anyone want to buy Drakensang? :lol:

Shiva

Novice
When Bethesda acquired the IP rights for Fallout from Interplay in 2007 & allowed them to retain the rights to make a Fallout MMO there were a few conditions which were put in place.
One of these was that Interplay secured enough funds (something like $30Million) within 2 years (By Apr 2009). As interplay are having financial difficulties at present it's fair to assume that they failed to secure the required funds....

Another condition was that the MMO would be ready for release 4 years after the agreement (So April 2011). Again, as it has yet to be released it's fair to say that they missed the deadline.

Bethesda are well within their rights to sue as there have been at least 2 clear breaches of contract to date.

Shiva

Novice
That part of the legal battle is still in the early phases with litigation still in process. What they keep losing is an injunction to prevent Interplay from continuing work on the title until the main legal battle is over.

Either way, as Bethesda now own the IP for Fallout interplay can't release the MMO without them (Bethesda) agreeing to it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
From what I've read Interplay did secure funding and they're claiming interference from Bethesda jumping the gun on trying to shut them down even though they had made all the developmental milestones.

In the end I don't expect Interplay to release PV13/FOMMO but they'll probably scorch Bethesda's ass for a lot more money.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
If it's so obvious then why does the process still last?

The American legal system is slow and convoluted. Actually, being trapped in litigation for a decade is exactly the kind of fate I'd wish on Herve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom