Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian Forums Stay Up

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Feargus Urquhart; Obsidian Entertainment

Due to the enormous amount of fan feedback, <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?act=announce&f=4&id=3>Feargus Urquhart</a> has decided to keep the <a href=http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php>Obsidian Forums</a> alive, with more correspondence from the developers and a community manager, but with stricter protocols in place to keep the peasants in line.
<br>
<blockquote>Hi everyone,
<br>
<br>
After talking about it quite a bit and listening to what a lot of you have had to say about the forums we've decided to keep them up. We are going to start looking for a permanent community manager and we are also going to try to be more of a presence on the boards.
<br>
<br>
We are also going to make some changes to the number of forums, plus have the moderators be a little more strict when it comes to closing, deleting and banning. We still want to have the forums be fairly free form, but we are going to deal a little more harshly with posts and posters that are clearly out of line.
<br>
<br>
Thank you for all your e-mails and the support you've given us on KotOR2 and our past incarnations and products.
<br>
<br>
Sincerely,
<br>
<br>
Feargus Urquhart
<br>
CEO
<br>
Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.</blockquote>
<br>
I suppose this means that the majority of the userbase will find themselves without a home anyhow.

Ellester

Liturgist
Well considering all the flamers are the star wars geeks who have been ripping on kotor2 I could care less if they get banned, or if the Obsidian moderates get stricter with these guys. Hey maybe Vis will get banned and he’ll be forced to come back here. :P OK, sorry, for some reason I've been thinking sick thoughts this morning.

Anyway, glad to see them stay up, I thought Fergie was getting a little (or a lot) soft when he considered closing down the forums. Also I would be pretty ticked off if Obsidian announced their new title (which hopefully won’t be a bio hand me down) and there were no forums.

Surlent

Liturgist
Feargus r0XXX0rrzz again. :P

edit: _Last time I wrote to thread about F.U closing his forums, I said he'd be even more Bio.Jr if he closed them. So I feel inclined now say Feargus has at least retained some form of indepedency. How much that is, is debatable. ;)

taks

Liturgist
kind of a joke there now, not that it wasn't before. the screen is littered with dead threads, closed because it's a duplicate, or somebody sneered the wrong way (damn emoticons) or someone else's feathers got ruffled. oh well...

the only thing i've ever really cared about at a company website is direct personal attacks based on nothing more than differing opinion. granted, here that's cause for some good flame, but we all accept that, nay, expect that. however, at a company site, there does need to be a higher standard, i just wonder if maybe obsidian set it too high for their boards to be useful or relevant anymore.

taks

NeverwinterKnight

Liturgist
im looking forward to the stricter (but not anally strict) moderation. im all for people who have qualms with the game stating so in constructive (and more notably, semi-intelligent) posts, but especially lately most of the trolls who signed up had a hard time spelling anything other than "this game sucks!".

maybe its just my argumentative side, but i like an actual debate. but its near impossible to debate against someone whose entire argument is "because the game fucking sucks! obsidian blows!".

Pegultagol

Erudite
They even seem to take after Bioware in their forum moderation, no wonder people are referring them with such deregatory phrases like BioJr, Trioware, etc.

Just kidding, I am just apathetic to the whole ordeal. I like some emotional outbursts from developers once in a while, I mean they are human too. It is funny too, since some weird social experiments could be conducted while they are going through this 'purging' stage.

Fez

Erudite
It's a good thing if the forums were already in the toilet anyway. As NeverwinterKnight said, when a lot of the time the arguments didn't address each other's points in disagreements and there was too much crap for them to handle, there was little point in the forums. If it encourages the developers to post more information it'll be useful to everyone.

It'll take a while for everyone to get settled in or leave.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom