Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The South Park RPG Video Interview

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; South Park: The Stick of Truth

<p>Gameinformer provide a <a href="http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2011/12/05/obsidian-ceo-on-crafting-the-south-park-rpg.aspx" target="_blank">video interview</a> with Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart.</p>
<blockquote>
<p><span>Feargus Urquhart loves RPGs. As the lead designer on Fallout 2 and one of the founders of RPG-centric Obsidian Entertainment, Urquhart and the rest of the team are not approaching South Park: The Game as a simple licensed title. A lot of thought is going into the challenge of creating a light-hearted experience that's enjoyable for fans of the show but also appeals to fans of Obsidian's deep RPG heritage. We spoke with the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment about how the South Park project began, working with the wildly creative minds of South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker, and how the team at Obsidian is approaching the opportunity to create a massive 2D RPG based on one of the most successful animated shows in history.</span></p>
</blockquote>
<p><span>It will sell 10 million copies. Mark my words. Matt and Trey will shell out marketing money sufficient to make Bethesda envious and the result will be a slam dunk of epic proportions.</span></p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/105956-south-park-the-game-video-interview.html">Gamebanshee</a></p>

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
DwarvenFood said:
How is it going to be in 2D exactly.. I'm having flashes of jRPG games on Nintendo DS.

Its going to look like the show. So, some sort of side view. I think the picture in the middle of the video with the kid with bows is actually a screenshot.

MCA
"Matt put 100 hours into Oblivion".

Not sure what to make of that.

Anyway, it can easily be isometric. There are plenty of isometric scenes in South Park where the characters still look "sideway 2D". Perhaps the game too will switch between views as necessary as per scenes, just like in the show.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DwarvenFood said:
How is it going to be in 2D exactly.. I'm having flashes of jRPG games on Nintendo DS.
Since they seem to be taking some inspiration from Paper Mario I think they'll probably go with that:
920182_20041011_screen016.jpg

920182_20041011_screen013.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Haba said:
The interesting thing is that they were directly approached. Wonder why.
Because Obsidian is considered the best RPG developer in the business. Daaah... :M

Katana

Barely Literate
People stop need to give credit to Urquhart. It has been more than a decade since fallout, and he has made nothing comparable since. Face it fuckers, Fallout was the fluke. The shit he churns out now is what he is really all about.

The fact that Obsidian took this project at all should speak volumes; if they were true rpg fans they would have laughed those South Park motherfuckers out of the office when they made their offer.

This game will crash and burn. No one will buy it.Obsidian's repute will be tarnished forever. They will go to making iphone and ipad games after this.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Katana said:
The fact that Obsidian took this project at all should speak volumes; if they were true rpg fans they would have laughed those South Park motherfuckers out of the office when they made their offer.
So that they could do what, make another D&D fantasy clone?

I note he mentioned console...

And hey, at least the game won't have camera issues.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Katana said:
People stop need to give credit to Urquhart. It has been more than a decade since fallout, and he has made nothing comparable since. Face it fuckers, Fallout was the fluke. The shit he churns out now is what he is really all about.
Urquhart was responsible for Gun Runners manufacturing ultra-tech weapons that no one buys from scrap metal and for random scientist and random smith having an ability to improve an ultra-tech armour and an ultra-tech plasma rifle.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Katana said:
if they were true rpg fans they would have laughed those South Park motherfuckers out of the office when they made their offer.
That would have been a pretty hilarious scene if you think about it.

Katana

Barely Literate
A generic rpg would have been way better than this shit. Heck, even Dungeon Siege 4, which would have been horrible true, but would at least have kept Obsidian in their niche.

Once they open their doors to this shit, it will never end. What's next, Simpsons rpg?

Or horror of horrors, what if this shit actually sells? We could be looking at Obsidian stopping work on everything else and start making a South Park MMO or something.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Katana said:
Or horror of horrors, what if this shit actually sells?
They will make more money, and other publisher will give them more work, or they will fund their own IP. Oh the horror...

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Haba said:
The interesting thing is that they were directly approached. Wonder why.

Because they're the biggest mercenary RPG developer I would assume.

Chris Avellone: "We'll develop anything. And I mean LITERALLY anything. Please give us money. I'll even throw in a cock sucking for free. Please let me suck your cock."

torpid

Liturgist
J_C said:
Katana said:
They will make more money, and other publisher will give them more work, or they will fund their own IP. Oh the horror...

And what work will the publishers give them? South Park 2, Dungeon Siege 4? Or are you still hoping that after enough SLAM DUNKS Obsidian will finally make that great RPG they've been dying to make? How has that been working out for them? Alpha Protocol was their IP and it bombed. I don't see them going "hey we made enough cheap, crappy SLAM DUNKS so now we can take the risk of making a more expensive game that probably won't sell, yeaaahhhh" any time soon. And that's assuming that they actually want to make super deep RPGs and are only being stymied by the market, which to me is wishful thinking. AP was a popamole action RPG. Don't want to break your hearts, but MCA might just not be into you guys anymore.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
torpid said:
J_C said:
Katana said:

And what work will the publishers give them? South Park 2, Dungeon Siege 4? Or are you still hoping that after enough SLAM DUNKS Obsidian will finally make that great RPG they've been dying to make? How has that been working out for them? Alpha Protocol was their IP and it bombed. I don't see them going "hey we made enough cheap, crappy SLAM DUNKS so now we can take the risk of making a more expensive game that probably won't sell, yeaaahhhh" any time soon. And that's assuming that they actually want to make super deep RPGs and are only being stymied by the market, which to me is wishful thinking. AP was a popamole action RPG. Don't want to break your hearts, but MCA might just not be into you guys anymore.
Do you really think that Obsidian will suddenly leave the RPG genre and start making South Park, Simpsons and My Little Pony games just because they made ONE SP game? Seriously? And what work will publishers give them, you ask. Maybe South Park 2. Maybe Dungeon Siege 4, sure it is possible. Maybe they will raise money and make AP2, which is OK in my book. Or maybe they let them make ...I don't know...an RPG that Obsidian is pitching them with. Publishers know that Obsidian is an RPG focused developer. They won't look at Obsidian and say: hey these guy made a good SP game, don't give them any other work other than SP.

Another example. Tim Schafer and Double Fine made some cool downloadable titles in the past few years. But their last game was a stupid Kinect Xbox game for kids. Now I bet that they won't make Kinect games for the rest of their lives. It was one project, and they will still make other type of games.

This is one project of Obsidian. There is another game in the making, and they will make other games in the future, most of them are probably more serious RPGs. And if you think they will become a South Park/Family Guy developer company, than you are fucking stupid. I don't belong to the crowd which thinks that they will make the most hardcore RPG, if they will have money. There is no market for that. But I won't whine and moan just because they make one not so super serious game.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Protip: If you're going to troll, don't put the obvious bits in the first sentence. :lol:

This is ok,

There is no market for that. But I won't whine and moan just because they make one not so super serious game.

pretty obvious bait, but still :thumbsup:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
This might be a shock to you, but this wasn't a trolling attempt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom