Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Polishing Dungeon Lords Q&A

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href=http://www.gamespot.com>GameSpot</a> has <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dungeonlords/preview_6121310.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_topslot_click>interviewed</a> Mark Harwood, the lead designer of D.W. Bradley's action RPG, Dungeon Lords, on the subject of 'polishing and finalizing'.
<br>
<blockquote>GS: We understand that part of the goal behind using a simple keyboard-and-mouse control scheme (with only a few clicks to handle most of the combat) was to make the game accessible to new users. Now that the game has been in development for some time, can you comment on what it will offer beginners? <b>And what will Dungeon Lords offer role-playing game veterans?</b>
<br>
<br>
MH: The idea behind the interface was to make it accessible to as many people as possible, not just beginning gamers but fans of other genres as well, such as first-person shooter fans who are very familiar with the WASD-and-mouse layout. The reason for this is so you can start playing the game quickly, rather than spending time trying to figure out the control scheme. <b>For veteran action players</b>, they get the same advantage of an easy, familiar control set and can start in immediately deciding how they want to use the extremely flexible character system to make their heroes.</blockquote>
<br>
Poor dodge! You didn't even answer the fucking question. Translation: the game offers nothing to role-playing game veterans.
<br>
<br>
If the game is anything like the demo, it is going to need a little more than just a simple spot of shine.
<br>
<br>
Thanks <b>Kumquatq3</b>.

Slaytanic

Educated
Everytime I see a game labelled as action rpg I know it's a worthless piece of shit.
I haven't played a decent action rpg since Diablo 1, and maybe I liked it so much cause I was a stupid lil kid.
I wish that people would stop making action rpgs and start making rpgs.
Simple as that.

bgillisp

Scholar
I didn't even care for Diablo as an action RPG. Though, I liked Divine Divinity better, strange as that may seem. Maybe because I felt DD was better balanced.

And, before someone objects, let me say any game I can breeze through 15 levels in about five hours, then spend another three days on level 16 has balancing issues with regards to its difficulty (not scaled properly). That was my Diablo experience when I played it many years ago.

Dhruin

Liturgist
Lead designer? Is that a promotion or demotion from producer? :)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
bgillisp said:
I didn't even care for Diablo as an action RPG. Though, I liked Divine Divinity better, strange as that may seem. Maybe because I felt DD was better balanced.
DD had some nice quest ideas and interesting details, too. That always helps.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
If the game is anything like the demo, it is going to need a little more than just a simple spot of shine.

Couldn't agree more - theyre making some pretty late changes between now and the release date. If what that 'Chuk' dude at the Dreamcatcher forums is true then they are still working on some major gameplay issues, including balancing of creatures and character classes.
These are fundamental things that can affect your entire play through. I have serious doubts on their ability to thoroughly playtest/QA the thing in the short time they've got. Especially given that they are reportedly still changing things...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom