Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Restricted Area Scores Big at GIN

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Tags: Master Creating; Restricted Area

The Game Industry News, or GIN for short, has posted a <A href=http://www.gamergod.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=201>surprisingly high scoring review</a> of Master Creating's Sci-fi themed blah blah blah Restricted Area, garnering (that's gathering, for you stupid folk) an impressive 4.5/5. Here's some of the good points:
<br>
<blockquote>Restricted Area seems to take the best parts of several of my favorite games and puts them into a single product. The game should appeal to both role-players and action oriented gamers, which is an increasingly large market these days based on the number of products trying to appease them.
<br>
<br>
The game is set in the distant future in a Blade Runner-like world where corporations have most of the power. They don’t have all the power, but a good deal of it. Like a good pen-and-paper <b>Shadowrun</b> or <b>Cyberpunk RPG</b>, you end up working for a series of Mr. Johnson’s who tempt you to do illegal things in a world without much law anyway, never give you their real name and know enough to never ask yours.
<br>
Wasteland Barbeque!
<br>
<br>
The interface is a top-down view, slightly offset so you are not gazing at people’s heads all the time. Monsters come at you in hoards on missions and you either have to blast them or cut them quickly. Anyone who has played <b>Diablo</b> will instantly recognize the play style.
<br>
<br>
Like the original <b>Diablo</b>, you start the game in a small seedy section of town where you can’t use your weapons as this part of the game is setup for you to role-play and get missions. There is a weapons dealer, a cybergear dealer, a loan shark, a prostitute, a bum, a pilot, and guys in suits that offer you missions based on your reputation. As you complete missions you get a better reputation and are offered harder missions for more pay. Once you accept a mission, you can hire the pilot to fly you to the zone where the mission takes place.
<br>
<br>
Outside the original part of town where you start, the world looks a lot like the famous <b>Fallout Series</b>. There are even vaults and a good mixture of old technology like clubs and new tech like plasma rifles. Inside dark abandoned factories and the like, your cursor acts like a portable flashlight. Whatever you point to is illuminated somewhat, which is a really cool effect that I highly enjoy. If you think you see something moving in the dark, you shine your light on it. If something is there, then you are ready to click the right mouse button to blow it away, just like having a light on the end of your gun.</blockquote>
<br>
So, is it really a good game? There's lots of name dropping in the review. Anyway, it sounds interesting but I can't help but wonder if they were paid to write it by the publishers or felt compelled out of the goodness of their own hearts to help out a good but possibly underappreciated game (like Star Wolves and Prince of Qin), considering how early the review is.

westernhero

Novice
I just had to comment this, because this game is so extraordinarily bad. I couldn't imagine how anyone (any serious role-playing fan that is) could rate this game so high. And dare to even compare it to Fallout.
Maybe if you're 12-14 and totally missed the arcade shooters of the 90s... because that's how it plays.

Btw - the game has also only one save and is even in its latest version bugged - so it just happens that your savegame gets invalid because of a mission loophole - only way to continue is to start over or send your savegame to the developers to be fixed.

I'm referring to the full version because I bought this p.o.c. - I'm living in germany for quite a while now.

uhhmm - and hi to to you all - love this place!

Demo Link:

http://www.restricted-area.net/

Fez

Erudite
Gamergod does not allow sinners into its garden.

LlamaGod

Cipher
I wouldnt trust a Game Industry News review, they asskiss and overrated everything like mad. It's a group of people who are a wanna-be GameSpy or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom